Uncapped broadband price war — ADSL vs fibre

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Uncapped broadband price war — ADSL vs fibre

Uncapped ADSL products are now much cheaper than comparable fibre connections following the introduction of naked DSL in South Africa.

For many years fibre offered the most affordable uncapped connectivity because ADSL and VDSL users were forced to pay Telkom for a landline, which cost over R200 per month.

This all changed in April last year when Openserve launched a new product for its DSL-based broadband services called Pure Connect.

moklet

Expert Member
I am quite happy with my fast fibre, my copper lines probably found its way to a scrap yard anyway.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm still waiting for Telkom to either bump up the speed or drop the price of my DSL... as they promised.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Can I just say that ADSL has rubbish upload speeds... and yes, it absolutely does become a bottleneck if you use dropbox or other hosting solution. The whole system slows down to a crawl when upload is saturated.
Yeah - it does. That's one of the very very very few reasons I've kept my Rain sim active.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
With adsl you have to worry about lightning because of the copper lines.
went through many routers.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Can I just say that ADSL has rubbish upload speeds... and yes, it absolutely does become a bottleneck if you use dropbox or other hosting solution. The whole system slows down to a crawl when upload is saturated.

Unfortunately one of the big disadvantages of ADSL. VDSL assists in this regard with 5Mbps upload for 20Mbps VDSL lines and 10Mbps upload for 40Mbps VDSL lines but very few people are close enough to really get the full upload speeds but those that do makes it worth it if you only have Vumatel or capped LTE as an alternative.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Unfortunately one of the big disadvantages of ADSL. VDSL assists in this regard with 5Mbps upload for 20Mbps VDSL lines and 10Mbps upload for 40Mbps VDSL lines but very few people are close enough to really get the full upload speeds but those that do makes it worth it if you only have Vumatel or capped LTE as an alternative.
Me :crying::ROFL:

Petec

Expert Member
This should have been the standard a decade ago. Telkom could have owned the data transfer space. Then they could have taken 10% of those profits, and rolled out fibre to be the dominant fibre player as well.
But could have... These stupid idiots have been messing up their competitive advantages from back when all we had was dial-up, ISDN, and Diginet. Useless muppets.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
All fibred up. Just waiting for an ONT to be delivered. Then its goodbye ADSL...

... and hello Frogfoot. :unsure:

Dan C

Honorary Master
All fibred up. Just waiting for an ONT to be delivered. Then its goodbye ADSL...

... and hello Frogfoot. :unsure:
Good luck is all I can say... I had Frogfoot for a month now and not a single day without downtime

krycor

Honorary Master

Yes.. but given that not everyplace will get Fibre at a fast enough pace or financially feasible vs expected roi, I think it’s actually good news.

In general SA needs affordable (ideally uncapped) internet to grow both technical talent, education (which has fast become only limited by access) and of cause consumers. Of cause you can’t have the latter without the former so hopefully it gets things moving in a way mobile hasn’t been able to due to cost(compared to rest of Africa where focus has been on this).

Primekid

If you have a 10mbs ADSL line it runs just as good as fibre, and watts up will all this new ISP names.

MEG101

I am more than happy with my PureDSL package that runs at 20mbps uncapped unshaped and unthrottled internet and no FUP. Most data we have used was 1.8TB in one month, and connection still runs at full line speed. We stream Netflix, Youtube in HD, download XBox games, download large files and had not a single problem. True that the upload speed are not as great as fiber, but given the price of R597 pm, you cannot get bettet value. Same service on Vuma costs R920 pm, which is really too much. Herotel is busy rolling out network in my area, and Vuma had been laid, no ETA for activation. So as long as Openserve can supply me with DSL line and Afrihost my ISP, we are very happy with our internet service.