Uncapped fibre and Netflix now cheaper than DStv Premium

W@NNIE1976

There is a limit to how much people are willing/able to pay for sport.

I would love to know if any studies have been done regarding sport viewership and DSTV pricing over the last 4 years vs the rest of the world.

We were discussing it at work the other day, of the 9 people in our department, 5 used to watch sport all the time 10 years ago. Now its only 1 of us. for the rest, its a once or twice a year thing. We have all moved to other weekend activities and streaming and internet based media.

I think DSTV is killing their own Golden Goose, by driving people away from sports that they hold exclusive broadcast rights to.

I couldn’t agree with you more. It is NOT Netflix that is perceived to be “killing” dstv...it is a combination of execs at multichoice that lack vision and the World Wide Web! Fibre has opened up the world for us, I think multichoice is using netflix as the excuse...

randburgred

If there was a legal streaming alternative for serie a, champions league, cricket and rugby we would dump dstv tomorrow.
What is your definition of legal If you have a VPN you can watch Fubo TV which is the sport streaming channel for $45 per month
Alternatively subscribe to Black TV they have Fox sport channels

Kaboodelski

DSTV content is really bad and way too expensive, especially for pensioners. Too many re-runs. You pay through the nose to watch sport, for me, that's once or twice a week. Much cheaper to buy DVD series/movies and to build up your own library and to watch free news broadcasts. However, I would like to stay in contact with friends living overseas and that is where Skype comes in. Unfortunately, Skype chews airtime so one needs uncapped.

Murmaider

Oh my, the big bad bully of the industry is now losing supporters, someone grab me a small violin.

What does work well is to split your dstv bill with you and 3 friends so it only works out to roughly R210 p/m each.
Get an Apply TV, then you and your 3 friends can each stream the sport with the dstv app.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Oh my, the big bad bully of the industry is now losing supporters, someone grab me a small violin.

What does work well is to split your dstv bill with you and 3 friends so it only works out to roughly R210 p/m each.
Get an Apply TV, then you and your 3 friends can each stream the sport with the dstv app.
Only 2 streams concurrently though...

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Well, Multichoice could be illegal as well because the Consumer protection act does not allow for packages if the customer does not want it!

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
You can register 4 online accounts linked same dstv smart card last time I checked.

You can register up to four different devices for DStv Now on the same account. Getting set up is easy: you’ll need a Connect ID that you can create here or through the DStv Now app.

https://www.dstv.com/en-za/news/more-customers-get-dstv-now-20170524
I think you can have up to 5 devices linked but only 2 can watch the same stream at the same time? Would love to hear differently, though...

Pitbull

Verboten
But the one thing you won't get with Netflix is the sports...

There are alternatives for streaming some matches AFAIK, but I don't know whether they're legal?

You have uncapped internet, you don't need a channel or provider for sport. It's all over the internet, live also!

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
You can register 4 online accounts linked same dstv smart card last time I checked.

You can register up to four different devices for DStv Now on the same account. Getting set up is easy: you’ll need a Connect ID that you can create here or through the DStv Now app.

https://www.dstv.com/en-za/news/more-customers-get-dstv-now-20170524
Yep, but you can only watch 2 concurrently...
Only the first four Devices on which the User signs in with a valid Connect ID will automatically be registered. Of the four Registered Devices, only two Devices can simultaneously view Content. Registered Devices can be changed on the DStv NOW application every six months.
http://campaigns.dstv.com/getconnected/DStv_NOW_APP_Ts_and_Cs.pdf

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Local sports have struggled for crowds for a while now.

Unless the Soweto giants are playing, PSL games have had small crowds since I can remember.

Local rugby fans are also fairweather and in certain cases stadia in crappy parts of town put a lot of people off. Loftus was packed when the Bulls were winning and leaving Ellis Park at night is not exactly a pleasant experience.

Costs involved are another thing to factor in. Pretty sure heading to the local pub and having a couple of beers is cheaper than going to the stadium. What's the cheapest ticket at the stadium, R40 - R60? Then a draft is easily going to set you back R30+. Petrol isn't cheap anymore either and I know a lot of people that are cutting back on their weekend excursions. I live 18 km away from Ellis Park while the local pub is less than 5 km away. If I make use of Uber it is R34 to the pub while a trip to Ellis Park is R140+.

And if you are not averse to using pirated streams to watch your sport you can then arrange a get together with friends and do it even cheaper.

Costs and politics, that's the main reasons for me. I went to Loftus about 6-8 times a year from 2012-15. Then I got tired of the politics and stopped following local sports. I watch sports to get away from the seriousness of real life, not to be thrown in the face with more of it. Also, the threatening guards were increasingly concerning, unless you were lucky enough to get an Affies parking ticket.

My weekends have become a lot free-er, which was an unforeseen perk beforehand.

Allant99

It was too late in 2016/7 to start crying wolf. The classic simplest form of becoming irrelevant is to have new tech and your opposition ‘eat your lunch’! Fat, lazy and entitled usually describes companies who could not see ahead or keep innovating to stay ahead. Govermentconnections were leveraged by Mnet (Naspers) to gain advantage over any others and keep competition out. 15 years ago in the UK for 20 British pounds you could get TV, internet and unlimited local calls. DSTV you have made your money and moved way to slowly ripping off the SA public for decades. Suggestion: trying to sell a Dodo is not going to work. Give a smile and graciously bow out after making a billion Rand every year from the public who had been legislated into a no option offering.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
It was too late in 2016/7 to start crying wolf. The classic simplest form of becoming irrelevant is to have new tech and your opposition ‘eat your lunch’! Fat, lazy and entitled usually describes companies who could not see ahead or keep innovating to stay ahead. Govermentconnections were leveraged by Mnet (Naspers) to gain advantage over any others and keep competition out. 15 years ago in the UK for 20 British pounds you could get TV, internet and unlimited local calls. DSTV you have made your money and moved way to slowly ripping off the SA public for decades. Suggestion: trying to sell a Dodo is not going to work. Give a smile and graciously bow out after making a billion Rand every year from the public who had been legislated into a no option offering.
My man!

stefan9

Executive Member
What is your definition of legal If you have a VPN you can watch Fubo TV which is the sport streaming channel for $45 per month
Alternatively subscribe to Black TV they have Fox sport channels

Not requiring a VPN in order to access or a dodgy grey area streaming site. Basically being able to access as one can access netflix SA, no hoop jumping.

milomak

Honorary Master
i would have a fibre connection regardless so i don't why this is included

marine1

Honorary Master
Was at the chicks place last night and was flipping through channels. The amount of utter shite on DSTV and for almost a grand a month?

Gathu

Yeah, cheaper for the 0.01% of the population that have access to fibre - DSTV must be shitting in their pants,.

Reactions: Swa