Uncapped Prices – Fibre vs ADSL

system32

Expert Member
Additionally with ADSL/VDSL you may be limited by SNR and attenuation resulting in less speed than you pay for.
eg. A 8Mbps ADSL, maxes out at 5Mbps due to distance.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Shocking. How dare those rich people finance equipment and deployment costs. Scum.
Sure man, i mean, how dare those people who dont live in estates and rich suburbs, ask about Fibre. How dare they, who are those peasants

zAAm

This article is mixing and matching FTTH infrastructure providers (Octotel/Century City Connect and Vumatel)? Best stick to one or show a comparison. You cannot get all the providers everywhere...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Sure man, i mean, how dare those people who dont live in estates and rich suburbs, ask about Fibre. How dare they, who are those peasants
I spearheaded the FTTH initiative in my area, and actually asked about that very thing - the funny thing is you're exactly right - the people in the upmarket areas are the ones that ask and do the work to get community buy in. The peasants don't seem bothered to mobilise communities and do the work... no idea why - maybe they feel that the world owes them FTTH, and they don't have to go out and work for it like everyone else?

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I don't think anyone minds discussing fibre rollout, but there's no getting away from the fact that wealthier areas will enjoy better sign up rates. Just the line rental for a 100Mbps Openserve line is R729-849pm. How many households can pay that?

And if you're taking slower speeds, then from Openserve's perspective what was the point of the expensive rollout?

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I don't think anyone minds discussing fibre rollout, but there's no getting away from the fact that wealthier areas will enjoy better sign up rates. Just the line rental for a 100Mbps Openserve line is R729-849pm. How many households can pay that?

And if you're taking slower speeds, then from Openserve's perspective what was the point of the expensive rollout?
I live in an affluent area with great FTTH coverage. The average FTTH purchase here is 20mbit or lower. The FTTH provider knew this before they rolled out. I did the surveys, LinkAfrica was happy to roll out with 40% interest in the 10-20mbit range. Very rarely does anyone go for faster than that. Not many people care about connectivity as much as the forum members here, and want to spend as little as possible. Experience has shown that people want to spend about the same on FTTH as they do on ADSL, which clocks in around R500'ish for normal people.

klipdrifter

Why is the upload speed on the FTTH speeds so low in this article? Aren't they supposed to be the same as download speed?

oober

Expert Member
We live in a very average estate in a very average suburb and I wanted fibre so I sent out RFPs. In the end I got the whole neighbourhood to buy in and about 18 months later I got my fibre. I'm the only person in our complex who has fibre. Had to call them daily to make it happen.

Rest of the people in the complex are not prepared to make daily phone calls and follow up, so they don't have fibre. At this point in time the players are so busy that only the noise makers get fibre.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
I have now left my interest with Telkom on two separate occasions that I am interested in FTTH in my area ! I live within less than a Kilometer from their exchange and within a upmarket suburb. I yet have to receive a response from Telkom keeping me in the loop to acknowledge my interest and when the expected FTTH will be avail and rolled out in my area? More than two months and counting to hear from them??

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I live in an affluent area with great FTTH coverage. The average FTTH purchase here is 20mbit or lower. The FTTH provider knew this before they rolled out. I did the surveys, LinkAfrica was happy to roll out with 40% interest in the 10-20mbit range. Very rarely does anyone go for faster than that. Not many people care about connectivity as much as the forum members here, and want to spend as little as possible. Experience has shown that people want to spend about the same on FTTH as they do on ADSL, which clocks in around R500'ish for normal people.
I can't blame consumers too much if that is representative of wider trends, as the line rental costs are outrageous. To me it seems like an arbitrary means of keeping demand on the network from skyrocketing.

But still, for R100 more per month you can double your speed.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I spearheaded the FTTH initiative in my area, and actually asked about that very thing - the funny thing is you're exactly right - the people in the upmarket areas are the ones that ask and do the work to get community buy in. The peasants don't seem bothered to mobilise communities and do the work... no idea why - maybe they feel that the world owes them FTTH, and they don't have to go out and work for it like everyone else?
They shouldn't have to. Feasibility studies/marketing should happen from the ISP's side. If they think people don't want cheaper internet on a newer infrastructure - with the added bonus of bypassing Telkom - they're deluded.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
They shouldn't have to. Feasibility studies/marketing should happen from the ISP's side. If they think people don't want cheaper internet on a newer infrastructure - with the added bonus of bypassing Telkom - they're deluded.
That will happen - but look at it from the ISP/FTTH builder point of view. You could spend millions on studies, advertising, marketing, etc... or you could just wait for people who are VERY happy and willing to do the work for you. FTTH providers already can't keep up with demand, so why doing extra work to get customers you can't deliver services to?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
That will happen - but look at it from the ISP/FTTH builder point of view. You could spend millions on studies, advertising, marketing, etc... or you could just wait for people who are VERY happy and willing to do the work for you. FTTH providers already can't keep up with demand, so why doing extra work to get customers you can't deliver services to?
So, again re-iterating that they're too lazy/cheapskate to do the work themselves.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
So, again re-iterating that they're too lazy/cheapskate to do the work themselves.
Not at all, it's just an utterly pointless exercise - it's a waste of time and money to go out and get customers you can't supply services to.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Not at all, it's just an utterly pointless exercise - it's a waste of time and money to go out and get customers you can't supply services to.
It's easy, if there are ADSL subscribers, there are people that would like fibre. If they're not willing to look for it, they're in the wrong business.

Any good company goes out and looks for business, it doesn't wait for it to be handed to them on a platter.