Uncertain future for SSD prices in South Africa

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Uncertain future for SSD prices in South Africa

The prices of solid state drives in South Africa have fallen considerably and SSD hardware has become more accessible in recent years.

It is uncertain whether this trend will continue however, with Western Digital senior sales manager for Africa Ghassan Azzi stating that it is unclear how prices will change going forward.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Just bought an m.2 512Gb for R1k. Was surprised.... Though I also noticed quality is taking a nose dive with lots of multi layer models hitting the shelves... Quads level cell flash... Eish.

Quicks

Mushkin was the only SSD that died on me. Also my Mushkin RAM modules died over time. Never had any problems with other makes. So ... I steer clear from them.
But maybe they have improved.
Good to know thanks. Will go for the little bit more expensive western digital then.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Good to know thanks. Will go for the little bit more expensive western digital then.
Yeah, WD should be fine. I've been using Intel and Sandisk for a couple of years now and still going strong.

Recently bought a Crucial drive... let's see how that goes :p

Nod

Executive Member
Mushkin was the only SSD that died on me. Also my Mushkin RAM modules died over time. Never had any problems with other makes. So ... I steer clear from them.
I still have working DDR2 Mushkin RAM.

Genisys

Executive Member
I'd rather buy an SSD from one of the more established SSD brands like Samsung (Great SSD's) and Kingston. My Kingston HyperX has been running for about 4 years without any issues, and my Samsung SSD's for more than 3 years without any issues either.

Suspect99

Executive Member
My brother's 1tb mushkin died after a month.returned under warranty

Dan C

Honorary Master
Actually just realised I have a Transcend in my HTPC that's been going for over 2 years... Only a 60 gig one so touch wood :p