Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Fight over Internet domains in South Africa

ZA Central Registry (ZACR) has sent a notice to domain registrars in South Africa announcing that it has been given notice of termination of its contract.

ZACR's Registry Operator Agreement with the .za Domain Name Authority (ZADNA) will come to an end on 1 April 2022, the non-profit stated.

Swa

Honorary Master
Don't worry, they'll just postpone the migration for another 10 years.

ab-user

Expert Member
Just wish we could do .za domains instead of co.za

Hot take, we will now need a domain license in order to purchase or use local domains!
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Level Ꝏ + 1 required to have a .za domain?

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Just wish we could do .za domains instead of co.za

Hot take, we will now need a domain license in order to purchase or use local domains!
You and I both - it’s now a year or two behind schedule.

Let’s wait to see what happens the za domain name space - interesting times indeed.

SpiderGear

Remember having to email the domain app in text format in the email body to Uniforum? God forbid you had an unwanted space or character somewhere and it would reject it?

Oh how far we've come!

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I cut over to .com's years ago.
.co.za redirecting to .com long ago as well but it would be nice to just have simple.za as a domain for all local stuff. Anybody who has a project, store or any site should try get as many domains pointing to their main one as possible, pain in the ass and not cheap, but worth it.

rvZA

Expert Member
I cut over to .com's years ago.

Same here. Has registered and main sites have been running on TLDs for many, many years now. co.za domains are simply redirected. Makes no matter to me if we lose them, but then again, I am sure they will sort out this issue and no one will lose domains.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
This is not a case of za domains (co.za, web.za, net.za and org.za) being lost or discontinued. ZACR will either enter into a new contract with ZADNA or a new registry operator will be put in place.
There may be new licensing requirements that affect existing registrars.