Uncomfortable "Limited Comfort Seats" on SAA Airbus A330-300

Jola

Honorary Master
I have just had the seriously uncomfortable experience of flying in one of the "Limited Comfort" 30" seats on a SAA A330-300 from Sao Paulo to Johannesburg.

I was not aware of the existence of such seats on SAA planes, so did not look out for this when checking in. Even though these seats are not classified as Economy Seats, you still pay the same and there is no indication that these seats are "Limited Comfort", you can only see this when you look at the fleet specs on the SAA website.

https://www.flysaa.com/plan-book/travel-information/fleet/detail/-/asset_publisher/MlImbr3pKrgr/content/airbus-a330-2-1

Browsing around indicates that no other SAA planes have such seats, and none of the other planes on this trip (SAA A330-200, Aerolinas Argentinas B737-800, GOL B737-800) had such limited seats.

Emirates don't seem to have seats of less than 32" on any of their planes.

I am 182cm, so tall, but not especially so, and my upper leg could just not fit into this seat when the passenger in the front had their seat down (which they were inclined to do because of their own limited space). I was in seat 64C.

Just a warning to anyone booking flights on an SAA A330-300, be aware of this situation.

WRT the Air Hostesses on SAA, one was very good, and one average (did her job, but very grumpy).

On the upside, the pilot on the A330-300 performed the best landing at ORT that I have been on for at least 25 years.

Note : The A330-300 has quite a nice entertainment system, with a really good display. It also has charging points.
Content, however, is just ok, not great.

Jola

Honorary Master
What a blindside bummer. Thanks for the heads-up.
Yes, I was stuffed for a couple of days after the flight.

Very tempted to just avoid SAA altogether in future, this musical chairs exercise WRT seats is a PITA.

They obviously did this in the plane layout in order to save 4 seats (you can see this if you look at the seat layout). However, it may cost them more than 4 seats per flight. BTW the planes were not completely full, even during a peak travel period, it seems that some passengers are booking Chilean airlines (LATAM). Some in our group did this, and I may do so next time.

Kind of tempted to emigrate to Uruguay with all the stuff going on here, great country with few of the SA problems. Probably boring, but I could live with that. Would have to learn Spanish, however.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
you get what you pay for I suppose,

is emergency exit row seats extra cost on these planes/route? as me I always try to secure those.

everywhere else is just too narrow and too tight if you are 1,95M tall.

unless you score an upgrade, that is.

Jola

Honorary Master
1.95m ? You would just die in those "Limited Comfort" 30" seats !!! Probably crush your knees.

BTW, just checked, LATAM seems cheaper, so much more value for money. Must just check their seat sizes.

Note : LATAM uses B787-900, for long-haul, so arguably better planes than SAA.
Can't find info WRT seat legroom, however.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
1.95m ? You would just die in those "Limited Comfort" 30" seats !!! Probably crush your knees.

BTW, just checked, LATAM seems cheaper, so much more value for money. Must just check their seat sizes.

that's why I try fly whenever possible, Emergency exit,

I once was late for one of those flights, got given a middle seat in a normal economy, didnt even sit comfortably,
luckily was a short flight from DUR to JHB,

OP, what your looking for is seat width and seat pitch (distance between rows), you can check those on
https://seatguru.com/

Jola

Honorary Master
Goddamn I think I'm flying one of those to Turkey in a few months.
Just make sure that you avoid the "Limited Comfort" seats when you check in, preferably 24 hours before flight.

I am still trying to find out which economy seats have 32" legroom, they indicate that there are some of those, but don't specify which those are on their website. I have sent them an e-mail, but don't really expect a response.

The entertainment system on the A330-300 is good.

Unfortunately you can't choose the air hostess, some are good, but others not.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Just make sure that you avoid the "Limited Comfort" seats when you check in, preferably 24 hours before flight.

The entertainment system on the A330-300 is good.

Unfortunately you can't choose the air hostess, some are good, but others not.
Yep, will try and get emergency exit seats.

As for hostesses, I don't really care, as long as I get my food when I want it.

Jola

Honorary Master
OP, what your looking for is seat width and seat pitch (distance between rows), you can check those on
https://seatguru.com/
I have looked at seatguru.com, their information is incomplete, they don't specify seat pitch.

The SAA site provides more information, but even that does not contain all the required information (for example, which seats on an SAA A330-300 has a 32" seat pitch ?).

Cius

Executive Member
Not that I fly often but I avoid SAA in general. Used them the last time we went overseas and was not very impressed.

maumau

Honorary Master
Also don't fly often but have avoided SAA for the past 6 years - wherever possible.

WalkWithMe

I did the Sao Paulo from ORT on Latem a couple months back and was awesome. Leg room was fine, not cramped. An awesome plane.

Brenden_E

Expert Member
you get what you pay for I suppose,

is emergency exit row seats extra cost on these planes/route? as me I always try to secure those.

everywhere else is just too narrow and too tight if you are 1,95M tall.

unless you score an upgrade, that is.
I'm 2m tall. Recently did the 20 hours flight to China and back.
Modern torture I tell ya.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I'm 2m tall. Recently did the 20 hours flight to China and back.
Modern torture I tell ya.
much easier to saw off your legs and reattach them when you reach your destination.

I have found walking around the cabin to help, but in the really small jets its just uncomfortable.
especially hitting your head on the ceiling constantly.

that's why I try arrive early, and get emergency exit as quickly as I can.