Undersea cable to connect South Africa with the US – all the details

klipdrifter

Well this is good news, not sure if the latency of 100ms will be sufficient enough for gaming... But still positive news.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Well this is good news, not sure if the latency of 100ms will be sufficient enough for gaming... But still positive news.

Would be a lot better than the current 350+ to US. Europe is 180+ for me at the moment and that's decent.

km2

Expert Member
Yeah if it isn't too much on top of the 100ms, choosing a US/NA server might be more viable than picking an EU one. Although I presume one is talking at least +30ms for local ISPs, and then another 60ms or so from Miami to wherever the datacenter is in the US.

Necropolis

Executive Member
That's pretty cool :)

Would be even better to have a landing site on the SA coast.

paul5186

Expert Member
140ms from CPT to the UK - so around the same + some to the US. Probably around 150ms - 220ms depending on where in the US.

ponder

Honorary Master

Laws of physics, come up with an alternative theory and you will win the nobel prize in physics ;)

MidnightWizard

Executive Member

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Angola has no forex at the moment. The black market rate is 3+ times the official rate. Who is paying for this?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Angola has no forex at the moment. The black market rate is 3+ times the official rate. Who is paying for this?

According to what I can see, its wholly funded by Angolan Telecoms companies, and is guaranteed by the Angolan Government to the tune of $260m.

SAex seems to be a more promising option for us, we won't be forced to route up through WACS or SAT3 into Angola and then out.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I very much doubt this cable will get beyond Luanda
It is a toy for the rich , the elite , and the politically connected

The rich dont sit there with lines like this hoping to get low latency pings for their counterstrike games. Sure, they might grossly profit off it, but without it being available to buyers, its pointless. So yes, the impact of this cable will go far in Africa (even if its to reduce load on traditional routes), and unless you can offer a better alternative and implement it, how you feel about people who are doing it, is as useful as a Youtube comment.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
The rich dont sit there with lines like this hoping to get low latency pings for their counterstrike games. Sure, they might grossly profit off it, but without it being available to buyers, its pointless. So yes, the impact of this cable will go far in Africa (even if its to reduce load on traditional routes), and unless you can offer a better alternative and implement it, how you feel about people who are doing it, is as useful as a Youtube comment.
Apart from that , according to the census carried out on May 2014, 26.7 per cent of Angola's 24.3 million population lives in Luanda. That's like 5 million people.

The rest of the country is very sparsely populated