Understanding Eskom's new load-shedding terminology

Swa

Honorary Master
So because Eskom says something that's how it is? Sorry but whether you want to call it load shedding, load reduction or load curtailment (whatever the f that means) the rest of the civilised world knows it as a rolling blackout.

i wonder if calling load reduction, loadshedding, or load curtailment a "blackout" irritates him as much as it irritates us that we have no power because of continuous incompetence and corruption
No, he has backup. We only have a generator and now my mom is scared of using it because of stories of generators exploding.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
  • Load Reduction — Eskom blames others when it is failing to do its one job.
Got it :thumbsup:
Based on his definition (stealing electricity), he's correct with this one. However, he needs to cut those areas permanently. Or at the very least, tell them they'll switch the power back on in 2 hours, then actually turn in back on at 1h30m. Do the same the next few days, but turn it on at a random time.

That way they'll electrocute all those Elektreecity Connectahs who make illegal connections to the grid while there's loadshedding.

After a month he should turn the area off at 12am without notice, then go in there with bolt-cutters and cut off all those illegal connections. Once the last guy is done, eksdom should put the feed back on.

Modern problems need modern solutions.

Oldfut

Expert Member
This sounds so Piet Koornhof / National Party where black people were to be designated "plurals". Voetsek Eskom.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Long overdue to clear up the terminology used in MSM. As if MSM has ever got things right about anything.

And a "Rolling Blackout" has never been the correct term to describe "Load Shedding".

B-1

Expert Member
Yes, of course it's ok for consumers to use any term they wish.

But those interested in understanding what, how and why the power is out the use of consistent and defined terminology by the power providers can aid communication. The effects on the consumer are of course the same - an absence of grid power.

The dictionary already has defined terms for that though why invent new ones and then complain because they are not being used?

Blackout, rolling blackout etc existed way before these new terms.

CommonSense

Here is another term for Andre "You can polish a turd till it shines, but ....."

I keep on thinking: Andre was appointed by the ANC government into one of the most important jobs in the country. Not something they would want to give to someone who doesn't have some of the same goals as they do. Yes, he was way down on the list, but we have seen that some posts would rather go unfilled than to appoint someone who does (or will not) not tow the line?

So... do "those" on this here forum, which are so passionate about defending him and making excuses for him, do that becuase of what he looks like?

One excuse I see most often is: Give him time, he is trying. Well, that is exactly what the other 9 or so CEOs at Escom also said. "It takes time to fix what is wrong. Just bear with us for 5 more years till we sort things out".
The memories of some on here are pretty damn short as soon as it suits their agenda.

spiff

Executive Member
My anti corruption / anc / incompetent / loadshedding device - AKA invertor battery backup

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Here is another term for Andre "You can polish a turd till it shines, but ....."

I keep on thinking: Andre was appointed by the ANC government into one of the most important jobs in the country. Not something they would want to give to someone who doesn't have some of the same goals as they do. Yes, he was way down on the list, but we have seen that some posts would rather go unfilled than to appoint someone who does (or will not) not tow the line?

So... do "those" on this here forum, which are so passionate about defending him and making excuses for him, do that becuase of what he looks like?

One excuse I see most often is: Give him time, he is trying. Well, that is exactly what the other 9 or so CEOs at Escom also said. "It takes time to fix what is wrong. Just bear with us for 5 more years till we sort things out".
The memories of some on here are pretty damn short as soon as it suits their agenda.

So tell us what miracles are you expecting and praying for?

So far he is the best candidate for the task, there might be better, but they are not holding, nor given the task/job to do.

What time frame do you have in mind, for the turn around to become a reality?