Understanding prepaid electricity

tRoN

Executive Member
To the invoice I receive at the end of the month.

It’s like 1.9/kWh + a daily charge of about 5 rands.

The statement just stays this. I got the breakdown when asking.
Orighty

ekske1

Executive Member
Checked and my kWh rate is correct but I’m disputing the 15% service fee on every transaction.

Can someone post a pic of their prepaid service please
On my previous topup I paid with my ebucks R340 from which R23.65 fees, R44.35 vat and I got 163.90 units that's 1.660 r/kwh.

1535731520699.png

FrankyF

My experience may differ wildly from what you're seeing, but hopefully this will give a bit of insight into the process.

I just sold my place (free standing residential property) in Ekurhuleni but had prepaid installed and it worked as follows:

Two different tariffs: A and B.

A is for residential properties and divided into blocks which increase in price according to the monthly consumption of the household.

The first block is for users consuming between 100k-600 units per month, and cost R1.05,66 per unit.

The next block is for users between 600-700 units and charged at R1.79,61 per unit, after which the tariff becomes R5,02 per kWh.

I used Prepaid24 to buy my vouchers and with the first transaction of each new month, I had a R30 service fee/ "membership fee" deducted from my purchase, i.e. buy R500's worth, receive R470's worth (deduct VAT first). This fee included unlimited transactions and email support. Possibly your municipality/reseller is charging you a service fee for each transaction instead of a monthly service fee like I had.

Tariff B is for consumers who use more than 600 units per month, and have a flat unit price, regardless of how much you use. At the time I enquired the tariff B price per unit was something like R2.20/unit (+- 2 years ago).

Check out Prepaid24 if you haven't already, maybe it's a better option to use them to buy vouchers.

Stochos

Expert Member
My experience may differ wildly from what you're seeing, but hopefully this will give a bit of insight into the process.

I just sold my place (free standing residential property) in Ekurhuleni but had prepaid installed and it worked as follows:

Two different tariffs: A and B.​

A is for residential properties and divided into blocks which increase in price according to the monthly consumption of the household.

The first block is for users consuming between 100k-600 units per month, and cost R1.05,66 per unit.

The next block is for users between 600-700 units and charged at R1.79,61 per unit, after which the tariff becomes R5,02 per kWh.

I used Prepaid24 to buy my vouchers and with the first transaction of each new month, I had a R30 service fee/ "membership fee" deducted from my purchase, i.e. buy R500's worth, receive R470's worth (deduct VAT first). This fee included unlimited transactions and email support. Possibly your municipality/reseller is charging you a service fee for each transaction instead of a monthly service fee like I had.

Tariff B is for consumers who use more than 600 units per month, and have a flat unit price, regardless of how much you use. At the time I enquired the tariff B price per unit was something like R2.20/unit (+- 2 years ago).

Check out Prepaid24 if you haven't already, maybe it's a better option to use them to buy vouchers.

That service fee of R30 is contrary to the reseller regulations.

8.4. The reseller is not entitled to recover the cost of running their own electricity business through the charges that are made for electricity. These are separate from the resale costs – they are costs that the reseller incurs in maintaining their property and administering their own contracts with the end customers. These are not subject to the resale tariff.​

8.5. The Sectional Titles Act, 1986 (Act No. 95 of 1986) allow landlords to recover the cost of services through levies to ensure transparency in cost recovery. No additional costs, such as the cost for meter reading, vending, billing and compliance services may be recovered from the customer since these costs are already included in the relevant tariff.

You have grounds to file a complaint to NERSA. In order to do so, you need to give Prepaid24 a chance to respond. They will probably come back with some weird justification. Then send that reply to NERSA.

Complaint form is here
http://www.nersa.org.za/ContentPage.aspx?PageId=471&PageName=Dispute Resolution