Understanding SNR and Attenuation Rates

Serene

Expert Member
I saw recently that every time there is lightning/rain/thunder my 10mb line "downgrades" to 8mb?
And then I have to phone technical support to re-create my port back to 10mb profile.

Then 2 weeks ago I did the re-create thing again in the morning and in the evening it rained and the line didn't drop?
Phoned them the next morning to find out why it didn't drop as suppose to previous times and they couldn't give me an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The line downgrade when line conditions deteriorate is explained by what the ASSIA system does automatically. The reverse, however, is not automatic hence why you would have to always phone in to get the service restored back to 10Mb/s.
Probably what happened is a cable fault was finally fixed, removing the cause of the line degradation that previously occurred in bad weather. It could also be that a section of cable was replaced with fibre.
My advice is, do not scratch too much. Leave well alone. You won't get an answer via the call centre even if they do know what happened.
Which exchange area are you in? Maybe we could try and see if there was any work done in your exchange area lately.

Serene

Expert Member
The line downgrade when line conditions deteriorate is explained by what the ASSIA system does automatically. The reverse, however, is not automatic hence why you would have to always phone in to get the service restored back to 10Mb/s.
Probably what happened is a cable fault was finally fixed, removing the cause of the line degradation that previously occurred in bad weather. It could also be that a section of cable was replaced with fibre.
My advice is, do not scratch too much. Leave well alone. You won't get an answer via the call centre even if they do know what happened.
Which exchange area are you in? Maybe we could try and see if there was any work done in your exchange area lately.

If you say which exchange area I'm in what info do you need from me?
Sorry just getting use to all the lingo.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The town or suburb you live n would be okay. Or if you can, the dial code and the first three digits of the telephone number associated with your ADSL line

ld13

Honorary Master
N00b question:

SNR Margin 26.02.2019.png

Our line is wonky with the ping climbing randomly to over 9000 and then dying for 1-10 minutes before returning to normal for a few hours/days/weeks. Telkom and I are currently looking into this. Is the SNR/Attenuation values not too high? The attainable rate still seems OK... is the line screwed or is the DLINK simply reporting the values x 10?

fundutzi

I believe the numbers should be divided by 10 as no comma in display.
Thus your SNR 226 == 22.6 etc.

Your SNR and Attenuation seems very good.

You certainly have a problem if ping goes to 9k. Addressing this require a separate post I think.

Outkast_ZN

Hi all. I have what may seem like a silly question. I recently moved to Toti and inherited a 4mb Adsl line. Unfortunately, fibre is not available in the area yet and the highest speed I can go to, according to Telkom's website is 10mb. I tried to upgrade to this speed but I was told that my line can only sync at 6mb due to the distance from the exchange. From where I am, the exchange is 1.3 km's away according to Google maps. Below is a screenshot of the SNR and Line Attenuation from my router. With these stats, what line can I upgrade to? Clipboard01.jpg

ronnie_94

Hi all. I have what may seem like a silly question. I recently moved to Toti and inherited a 4mb Adsl line. Unfortunately, fibre is not available in the area yet and the highest speed I can go to, according to Telkom's website is 10mb. I tried to upgrade to this speed but I was told that my line can only sync at 6mb due to the distance from the exchange. From where I am, the exchange is 1.3 km's away according to Google maps. Below is a screenshot of the SNR and Line Attenuation from my router. With these stats, what line can I upgrade to? View attachment 658482
Get them to move you from interleaved to fast path and your snr stats should improve and maybe they can bump you to a 10, if you stay on interleaved what you have is your best speed due to your snr just above 6.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hi all. I have what may seem like a silly question. I recently moved to Toti and inherited a 4mb Adsl line. Unfortunately, fibre is not available in the area yet and the highest speed I can go to, according to Telkom's website is 10mb. I tried to upgrade to this speed but I was told that my line can only sync at 6mb due to the distance from the exchange. From where I am, the exchange is 1.3 km's away according to Google maps. Below is a screenshot of the SNR and Line Attenuation from my router. With these stats, what line can I upgrade to? View attachment 658482
Please note that Google Maps' distance is not the real distance since it's according to the route that Telkom picked when they rolled out.
I was about 1.7km from the exchange if they'd followed the main road, instead they went through another area first and then over to me, so the actual distance was closer to 2.3km.
Based on your attenuation, I would put you at close to 2.5km.

If your copper was in good condition, you should be able to barely hit 10Mbps, but most copper that's still being used has not been maintained well, plus interleaved lowers your SNR to help with line errors. You're probably as fast as you can go, though you should actually be able to 8Mbps stably on fast path, but I doubt Telkom/OpenServe will do so.

Hello, I have been battling for months now to try and sort out my frequent disconnect problem. Tech after tech has told me they think it's a port issue and either reset it or change it. They test the line and I'm assuming find no fault as they always say it's a port thing. Today they phoned me to say they will test the line and call me back. They called back and told me again they think it's a port issue and have changed ports. My ADSL line still disconnects and reconnects. Just wondering if my stats can tell anyone here what the issue might be so that I can tell the next tech I speak to. 10MB line.
Ashampoo_Snap_2019.05.27_17h34m23s_001_.png

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hello, I have been battling for months now to try and sort out my frequent disconnect problem. Tech after tech has told me they think it's a port issue and either reset it or change it. They test the line and I'm assuming find no fault as they always say it's a port thing. Today they phoned me to say they will test the line and call me back. They called back and told me again they think it's a port issue and have changed ports. My ADSL line still disconnects and reconnects. Just wondering if my stats can tell anyone here what the issue might be so that I can tell the next tech I speak to. 10MB line.
View attachment 664186
Either issue or quality of copper has degraded too much, you're probably better of downgrading to 8Mbps.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Good day
I recently upgraded to a 10mb from 2mb line with telkom, also as my isp
Yet my speed has not changed
Can anyone explain to me how it works
Your line is at 10Mbps, looks like the data account wasn't upgraded.
If you have a friend with a capped DSL product, ask him if you can borrow his details for a minute, pretty much all capped accounts run at line speed.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Your line is at 10Mbps, looks like the data account wasn't upgraded.
If you have a friend with a capped DSL product, ask him if you can borrow his details for a minute, pretty much all capped accounts run at line speed.
Yes, there are two steps involved, the first is to get the ADSL service upgraded to 10 Mb/s and then the next is to get your ISP to change the settings to allow you to use the upgraded capacity fully.
The two "should" be linked, but they are not anymore.

SiR_BP

We have a 4Mb line but getting nothing more than 1Mb throughput. We have logged numerous calls with Telkom and every time the call gets "resolved" but the problem is still there, the issue has been ongoing for the past 3 weeks or so. Calling into the call center is of no use as the same thing gets done, they just reset the port.

I have attached my router stats, speed test and the line feedback from Vox (ISP).

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
We have a 4Mb line but getting nothing more than 1Mb throughput. We have logged numerous calls with Telkom and every time the call gets "resolved" but the problem is still there, the issue has been ongoing for the past 3 weeks or so. Calling into the call center is of no use as the same thing gets done, they just reset the port.

I have attached my router stats, speed test and the line feedback from Vox (ISP).

Your modem stats are amazing but it's definitely not reflected in the real world, have you tried a different modem?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Please check with another ISP account first, your line stats look good, so either ISP or something like exchange congestion.
Try pining bras.afrihost.com.