Unemployed man starts chair renting business outside Home Affairs to pay off student debt

schumi

Honorary Master
In a bid to pay off his student debt, a 25-year-old has started a chair renting business outside the Home Affairs offices in Bellville, Cape Town and is now looking to expand to other government departments where people queue for hours.

Isaac Mpofu, who completed his BCom Financial Accounting degree at the University of the Western Cape (UWC) last year, is desperately trying to pay off his outstanding debt so he can obtain his qualification, which has been withheld due to outstanding student debt.

Speaking to News24, Mpofu, who is originally from Johannesburg, said he had to think of a way to earn a living, because he is qualified, but unemployed and needed to pay off the debt so that he could get his qualification.

He said he had started the process of looking for a job, so he could do his articles at the South African Institute of Professional Accountants (SAIPA), so that he could write board exams to qualify as an accountant.

More at: https://www.news24.com/news24/south...home-affairs-to-pay-off-student-debt-20210506

RedViking

Nord of the South

@PAYBACK , business opportunity for you.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Have to applaud this man. That's entrepreneurship. Making something out of nothing. All the best to him going forward. Hopefully a business will see his potential and give him job or invest in him.

Oldfut

In SA you could have to pay a cut to Home Affairs inside and something extra to make them slow the processes down and increase the line numbers.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
He must have started recently because I was there on 11 Jan to apply for an ID, but the queue was ridiculous and I didn't see chairs so I went back home.

At that same home affairs is also a guy selling pens. He must be making a killing because I had to walk past there on my way to the office daily and always saw him there.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
The other day waiting at the car wash. There's a dude offering to draw your car. He didn't say gimme ten bucks for drawing your car. Just asked if he could draw it.

Needless to say everyone he asked agreed and everyone paid him various amounts after being handed a pretty good drawing which he did in just a few minutes sommer while standing :cool:

Purply

Expert Member
I drive pass there everyday, the queues in the mornings are crazy long. Never less than around 50+ people if I had to take a guess, and that's around 7am

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I drive pass there everyday, the queues in the mornings are crazy long. Never less than around 50+ people if I had to take a guess, and that's around 7am
Yeah. I still don't have an ID. I've been thinking of going to Standard Bank in Canal Walk and applying that way. Or to the home affairs inn Paarl and see how it looks there.

Last year I had to go to the Bellville one to get a birth certificate for my daughter. I went during my lunch-time. So before 2. There were just a handful of people in the queue. I stood for about 20 minutes before I got to the door only to be told by the security guard that it's too full inside and there's no way they will be able to help everybody inside before closing time.

My wife ended up driving to Paarl to get the BC.

They need to open another home affairs somewhere around Bellville, because that is the only one serving a massive geographical area, it's constantly packed. It's insane.

Currantly

Expert Member
When-Dame-Fortune-calls-offer-her-a-chair..jpg