Unemployment rate rises to 30.8%

neoprema

Executive Member
EFF will be able to use them for their next rent-a-crowd. While they get promised free jobs and BMWs before Malema heads off to The Westcliff for afternoon drinks in the poor lifestyle he lives.

Milano

Honorary Master
Yes @saturnz the ANC and lockdown created hundreds of thousands of people that are now independently wealthy. Not just a handful of tenderpreneurs.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
statistics manipulation was always the ANC hallmark @ToxicBunny

Hate to burst your bubble there my son...
Statistics manipulation is everyones hallmark. Every country, company and individual manipulates statistics to some level or another.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Hate to burst your bubble there my son...
Statistics manipulation is everyones hallmark. Every country, company and individual manipulates statistics to some level or another.
do agree there,
but some do it better than others, you wouldn't look at the USA and think they are technically broke, because they manipulate their stats so well,
locally here? I think they not doing such a great job of it, as its imo more clear they manipulating the stats from the start.

Milano

Honorary Master
Stop popping out 5 children you cannot afford- there's a good start.
As long as there is a section of the population willing to fund the grants they should pop out 5+. Tito told the World Bank to go fsck itself, the market in SA is deep. Maybe he meant in deep trouble :ROFL:

JustAsk

Expert Member
Nonsense. 30.8% of what? Where is the context. Without specifics i'll assume its 30.8% of South Africa.

Based on my rough estimation:
Only 20-60 years can be included as employable = 56% of population
Less 1% as buffer for disable people = 55%
Which bring that 30.8% to a realistic 16.5%.
With an estimated total population of 59 million, that is 5.35 million unemployed out of 32.45 million employable people.

An "unemployed" matriculant can't be included in the figures as he needs to be counted at figures involved with higher learning or lack thereof.
A school dropout can't be included either.

My definition of unemployed is any able body without no employment between the age of first employement, after post matric learning, and the age of retirement. Nothing else, no "stopped looking for a job" nonsense.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Nonsense. 30.8% of what? Where is the context. Without specifics i'll assume its 30.8% of South Africa.

Based on my rough estimation:
Only 20-60 years can be included as employable = 56% of population
Less 1% as buffer for disable people = 55%
Which bring that 30.8% to a realistic 16.5%.
With an estimated total population of 59 million, that is 5.35 million unemployed out of 32.45 million employable people.

An "unemployed" matriculant can't be included in the figures as he needs to be counted at figures involved with higher learning or lack thereof.
A school dropout can't be included either.

My definition of unemployed is any able body without no employment between the age of first employement, after post matric learning, and the age of retirement. Nothing else, no "stopped looking for a job" nonsense.

Two definitions.
Strict: people looking for work
Expanded: people that still want to work but has given up hope.

The 30% is people actively looking for a job.
Which would make 70% those with a job.

Only of the population that either has a job or is activly looking gets counted to get 100%

Housewifes, students or disabled people not looking for work should be excluded.

Actual numbers from article.
The number of employed persons increased by 543 000 (3.8%) to 14.7 million compared to the second quarter of 2020. Unemployment increased substantially by 2.2 million (52.1%) to 6.5 million compared to quarter 2 of 2020 resulting in an increase of 2.8 million (15.1%) in the number of people in the labour force”.
The national statistics service in the report said the number of discouraged work-seekers increased by 225 000 (9.1%), while the number of people who were not economically active for reasons other than discouragement decreased by 2.9 million (15.8%) between the two quarters. This, Stats SA said, resulted in a net decrease of 2.6 million (12.8%) in the not economically active population

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
Shouldn't that headline be adjusted upwards on a day to day basis?
The US do a weekly report.

We can do better than this quarterly survey and copy them by using actual data from UFI and grants that people claim.

UIF payers vs UIF claimants should at least be accurate for formal sector.
And their tax information...

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
If all you employers and employees could just go back to where Jan came from, then the unemployment rate would be 100% and that would be a good story to tell

/s