UniNet (Cape Town)

Host Online

Have any body use there services and what are your exsperiance ?
www.wdsl.co.za

Host Online - Fast, Reliable Online Solution

freeek

Expert Member
Im on it. What do want to know? Im on 128k package

..- dot dot dash ;)

Host Online

Do u know if there are any users in the brackenfell area ? And is it usable to play online?

Whoopa!

Host Online - Fast, Reliable Online Solution

freeek

Expert Member
www.uninetwork.co.za
56K R250
64K R399
128K R599
256K R799

initial costs R2450 + first month

..- dot dot dash ;)

slumley

to Freeek.

How do you find the speeds and how are the download speeds during the day. (overnet/edonkey)

freeek

Expert Member
download speeds with internet explorer is always 15.2k for me. p2p is only enabled after 7. with bit torrent with some torrents i get about 12k. don't hav kazaa or edonkey installed

..- dot dot dash ;)

freeek

Expert Member
is not mobile. Sentechs bigest asset, is that their product is mobile.

..- dot dot dash ;)

CrazyMadMan

Mobile ... from one slow one from another :)

Fantasy is what people want, reality is what they need.

ConDamage

mobile, who cares, mine sure as hell aint mobile! Just moving the modem around causes signal loss or disconnection. Not to mention the fact that the damn things battery only lasts for about 30 mins.

TrXtR

Erm, ok sounds really cool and stuff. Brought up a nice idea though... They say p2p only after hours.
So why not sell packages where you can only connect after hours ? like a p2p package or something
hehe anyways

freeek

Expert Member
that defeats the purpose of 24/7 connectivity

..- dot dot dash ;)

goenk

For me it sounds like a great service. Their business solution seems to have not limits. Additional it has a static IP. Sure it is "only" 64k but if they really deliver that service 24/7 that I do not care.

Some more comments on that service?

I need something unmanaged & reliable and maybe this is my deal.

Someone wants to warn me? Or suggest a better solution?

I could use some help.[:(]

Nickste

Expert Member
goenk, i'm in the same situation as you, except i'm interested in the 64k home.

I can say that a year or two ago, i got them to come in and do a signal test. They were a bit disorganised, and i had no signal (they said a new tower was going up shortly).

I am, however, interested to see if they have improved their service.

Chow, Nick

Nick Smit
broadband@nicksmit dot za dot net

avr-rulez

Expert Member
Hi,

For me , not having p2p during the day is no incentive to move from ISDN 64K.

These services are still NOT legal , and when they get get shutdown - you loose your setup / registration fees.

A

hArTh

Expert Member
I accidentally discovered that there is another WISP in CPT.

www.wo.co.za

Spoke to a chap who said he knew two users on it who were quite happy.

What stood out for me was that their setup and "activation" (haha) fees were much lower than uninets' or wavestreams':
http://www.wo.co.za/products.html

R1k equipment + R500 "activation" = R1.5k
R400 pm for 64k (low priority in business hours)

Compare to uninets R2.5k setup and wavestreams R5.2k setup.

As these services could be shut down at a moments notice the upfront costs need to be carefully considered.

I've contacted WO and may well consider them if I has LOS and the MW issues are not resolved within the next month.

One worrying thing was that WO did not specify contension ratios which isn't a good sign.

-Professional information anarchist-
I support:
www.hellkom.co.za

goenk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by avr-rulez</i>
<br />Hi,

For me , not having p2p during the day is no incentive to move from ISDN 64K.

These services are still NOT legal , and when they get get shutdown - you loose your setup / registration fees.

A
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why is p2p not legal?
Sharing illegal content is not legal. I can understand that. But p2p itself?

Please be so kind and furnisch me with the South African law you refer to.

I think this country should really care not to create laws that do not exist in hurrying obedience. I think this is very dangerous. But fell free to proof me wrong.[;)]

goenk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hArTh</i>
<br />I accidentally discovered that there is another WISP in CPT.

www.wo.co.za

Spoke to a chap who said he knew two users on it who were quite happy.

What stood out for me was that their setup and "activation" (haha) fees were much lower than uninets' or wavestreams':
http://www.wo.co.za/products.html

R1k equipment + R500 "activation" = R1.5k
R400 pm for 64k (low priority in business hours)

Compare to uninets R2.5k setup and wavestreams R5.2k setup.

As these services could be shut down at a moments notice the upfront costs need to be carefully considered.

I've contacted WO and may well consider them if I has LOS and the MW issues are not resolved within the next month.

One worrying thing was that WO did not specify contension ratios which isn't a good sign.

-Professional information anarchist-
I support:
www.hellkom.co.za

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for this info. I checked it out but like you already mentioned they do not show their ratio. This makes me also very suspicious.
I also think it is strange that they show which games are working. I do not care about games but this is a clear sign that they seem to block most of the ports. Undocumented transparent trafficshaping or blocking on providerside is a real pain. Better pay the price for the bandwidth and fully get than getting some unrealistic info about the theoretic max. bandwitch if I am the only guy in their network using the internet.
I am looking for a reliable provider. Some company to trust on. If there is a network problem I want to get informed. Best in advance. If they change something. Same thing. And most important, I want some guys who know what they are doing. Sometimes I get the impression that most people handling networks in SouthAfrica do not really have the slightest glimpse about network management.