UniNet (Cape Town)

Nickste

Expert Member
Have emailed WO about contention ratio's. Forgot to ask about shaping.

*Nickste waits for reply.

Nick Smit
broadband@nicksmit dot za dot net

freeek

Expert Member
Well, I was on WO. Gaming was great, low latency and generally downloading from websites were always good. The thing that put me off was that "ALL" p2p was blocked completely. Also you only got your home package speed after abt 4:30.

Generally the service is good if you have good signal. If you are checking costs. 128k Pacakge.
Uninet :
Initial : R2450
Monthly : R0599
Total : R3049

..- dot dot dash ;)

freeek

Expert Member
my oh my

**** who in their right mind would support Wavestream and GIN
Thats like a total ripe off!! Madness

..- dot dot dash ;)

hArTh

Expert Member
Man, just discovering there are lots of WISPs in CPT:

Uninet: http://www.wdsl.co.za/ 8:1 contention
WO: http://www.wo.co.za/ No p2p?
GIN: http://www.gin.co.za Definately no p2p! They dont mention install costs at all ? 20:1 contention

As regards p2p I hear ADSL is pretty much uselless for p2p anyway.

BTW I wouldn't blindly believe those CR's, best to chat to someone who uses the product.

-Professional information anarchist-
I support:
www.hellkom.co.za

avr-rulez

Expert Member
@ Goenk

Sorry, my fault for not stating it clearly.....

All WISP's are currently illegal...i.e. these guys purposefully do not mention anything about having ICASA approval.

Ask them , and you will get - "sorry sir , that is the risk you (customer) take . We can be shutdown anytime and yes sir you will loose your connection / setup fees.

So I am trying to say that p2p is not illegal - but the WISP's are (Wireless ISP)

Hope that does it.

A[:)]

hArTh

Expert Member
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by avr-rulez</i>
<br />@ Goenk

All WISP's are currently illegal...i.e. these guys purposefully do not mention anything about having ICASA approval.

Ask them , and you will get - "sorry sir , that is the risk you (customer) take . We can be shutdown anytime and yes sir you will loose your connection / setup fees.

So I am trying to say that p2p is not illegal - but the WISP's are (Wireless ISP)

Hope that does it.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bear in mind that Right, Wrong, Legal and Illegal are four different things not two different things.

I support:
www.hellkom.co.za

goenk

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by avr-rulez</i>

<br />@ Goenk

Hope that does it.

Where can I find more information about WISP legal issues. Is there any (legal+affordable) non-govermental broadband option?

hArTh

Expert Member
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hArTh</i>
<br />Man, just discovering there are lots of WISPs in CPT:

Uninet: http://www.wdsl.co.za/ 8:1 contention
WO: http://www.wo.co.za/ No p2p?
GIN: http://www.gin.co.za Definately no p2p! They dont mention install costs at all ? 20:1 contention

As regards p2p I hear ADSL is pretty much uselless for p2p anyway.

BTW I wouldn't blindly believe those CR's, best to chat to someone who uses the product.

I support:
www.hellkom.co.za

Mail I got today from GIN:

Hi James

Thanks for the enquiry.

Our web site is a bit out of date at the moment. The HiWire products have been reduced in price to :

R450.00 for the Home package,
R750.00 for the Business 64k
R1450.00 for the Business 128k.

The installation fee has also been reduced to R2750.00 in total as a once off cost.

Our contract is for a 12 month period. You get 2 email accounts with the HiWire Home and 64k Business and 4 email accounts with the 128K Business.

There are no other costs involved.

<hr noshade size="1">

So to sum up:

Provider Package Monthly Installation Contention P2P Cap Contract
GIN 64k-home R450 R2750.00 20:1 <font color="red">No</font id="red"> <font color="red">6GB</font id="red"> <font color="red">12-month</font id="red">
Uninet 64k R400 R2450 8:1 Yes-AH None None
WO 64k R400 <font color="green">R1500</font id="green"> Dunno? <font color="red">No</font id="red"> None 3-months

GIN is out for me, no way I'm signing 12 month contract with a non-legal WISP.

I support:
www.hellkom.co.za

freeek

Expert Member
uninet no contract
wo p2p: block(no), 3 month contract

..- dot dot dash ;)

slumley

I have tried uninet **** for 24hrs no Tuesday/Wednesday and then told them to come and take it out again on Wednesday morning as i could not even get more than 1.5k with overnet. The web browsing fly's but that's about it. thank goodness i did not pay them (R3039.00) that was for the 128K option.

I am now back to my Telkom ISDN 128k package with R7.00 call option. (Still about R900.00 P/M)

uninet sucks.

qaz

Same story as Slumley. Uninet is a nice concept, but the customer service/notification and business strategy leave much to be desired. Read their forums to see customer opinions for yourself http://www.uninetwork.co.za/~forum/.

Gaming is impossible... surfing is unreliable... downloading is sketchy. The problem is capital from what I understand. They upgrade bandwidth every 2 weeks, so contention ratios go cyclically through the roof. Without a long term contract, when customers are dissatisfied they just don't pay, so no upgrade can take place (increasing dissatisfaction) - catch 22. The people are all very nice and friendly, but you are made to feel like the company is your buddy and they are doing you a favour - complain too much and you are politely advised to look for service elsewhere (very professional!). Most complaints are answered with "Well, XXXXX is worse than us..." or "XXXXX would cost you more" rather than acknowledging the service inadequacies and altering their advertisements/pricing.

If you want a service run on emotion, go with Uninet.

freeek

Expert Member
slumley " i could not even get more than 1.5k with overnet"

not possible. were you downloading from a website? p2p and other such applications is only allowed after 7.

gaz " If you want a service run on emotion, go with Uninet."
well I had great service with them. I neva called them once only through email. the only problem some people are complaining about is that they want to know when a downtime happens or a reason afterwards. so far there were power failures in capetown once or twice and the other times it mainly also had 2 do with power. was only for a short period anyways.

..- dot dot dash ;)

wamatt

Web Africa founder
Company Rep
Anyone else using WO? How does it compare to uninet? What ever happened to Basil's GIN aka ex megawan?

There idea of a large FTP server is good, guys are going to download iso, movies etc anyways. Silly if people download the same stuff internationally many times over.

What would be cool is a large set of Direct Connect p2p hubs sharing stuff also wouldnt be any need for caps on the same high site.

wamatt

Web Africa founder
Company Rep
Oops just found page 2 of this thread. :) Ok so uninet seems to be a no-no. I tried calling the numbers listed on the website. (no reply)

Regarding the legalities though, this stuff is going to be legal as of Feb 2005 right?

CreepyCrawley

I think I'll wait till this sort of thing is a legal option. R2000 is a lot of money to throw away.

Telkom se ma...

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wamatt</i>
<br />Oops just found page 2 of this thread. :) Ok so uninet seems to be a no-no. I tried calling the numbers listed on the website. (no reply)

Regarding the legalities though, this stuff is going to be legal as of Feb 2005 right?

no, not necessarily. I order to offer wireless services, you will still need a license.