• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Unions fume over Eskom's 0% wage offer

schumi

Honorary Master
Cash-strapped power utility Eskom is heading for a showdown with unions in the second round of wage talks as it sticks to its stance of no pay increase.

Eskom did not give in on any demands‚ including on the softer issues of maternity leave and housing.

Wednesday was the first day of the second round of talks‚ and Eskom has not budged from its opening offer‚ a move that has set the stage for a showdown with the unions.
More at : https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2018-06-07-unions-fume-over-eskoms-0-wage-offer/

Cr419

Executive Member
Luckily I procured quite a few portable lights and other small stuff (for camping) that I can now use in the case of a black out.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
That is quite unusual.

Let's hope they stick with it

Eskom employees are already paid way above norm on avg anyway :sick:

thechamp

Honorary Master
That is quite unusual.

Let's hope they stick with it

Eskom employees are already paid way above norm on avg anyway :sick:
Why hope they stick with it? What did the workers do to deserve this? They aren't the ones who were engaging in corrupt activities with the Guptas...

They've always come to work and done what is expected of them, everyday throughout state capture, and now reward them with a zero percent?

LCBXX

Executive Member
I hear that the average annual package at Eskom is R750,000. The AVERAGE package. No wonder the unions are fuming, they were looking forward to a playday.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I hear that the average annual package at Eskom is R750,000. The AVERAGE package. No wonder the unions are fuming, they were looking forward to a playday.
R789k apparently.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2018-06-14-claims-that-the-average-eskom-employee-earns-r789000-a-year-is-absolute-hogwash-says-union/

Numsa spokesperson Phakamile Hlubi-Majola called it “absolute hogwash” and said the average employee earns R135‚000 per year. “There is a huge gap between ordinary workers and senior managers. In 2001 there were 80 executives‚ now there are 500 and they earn a lot of money.”

Hlubi-Majola said they would not strike if the average worker earned R700‚000.
I would still like to see how much the average salary of employees in the bargaining unit is, hopefully from an unbiased source, it us expected that both the employer and the union's would present these numbers in a way that will make their cause look good.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Why hope they stick with it? What did the workers do to deserve this? They aren't the ones who were engaging in corrupt activities with the Guptas...

They've always come to work and done what is expected of them, everyday throughout state capture, and now reward them with a zero percent?
Start by they’re not working enough and when they do they work on fake issues?

Do you know people working at Eskom or do you work frequently with Eskom?

These people are brainwashed to do everything at snail pace.

I’ve had a 3 weeks delay on a substation project because the Eskom guys could not agree on the brand of toilets (between two models) to be put I inside. Toilets are toilets...

The Guptas are one part of Eskom’s financial woes, bureaucracy, inefficiency and redundancy is another major part of it.

Last edited:

Blu82

Expert Member
Paygate has the average salary as R360,000 with the lowest at R90,000 for an administration clerk and highest at R1,600,000 for a Physicist.

Source

f2wohf

Honorary Master

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Start by they’re not working enough and when they do they work on fake issues?

Do you know people working at Eskom or do you work frequently with Eskom?

These people are brainwashed to do everything at snail pace.

I’ve had a 3 weeks delay on a substation project because the Eskom guys could not agree on the brand of toilets (between two models) to be put I inside. Toilets are toilets...

The Guptas are one part of Eskom’s financial woes, bureaucracy, inefficiency and redundancy is another major part of it.
I know of an associate who also did work for them....
Things take 10x longer than they should- that lot are straight out of that movie Zootopia, the sloths in the DMV

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Seems things are taking a turn for the uglier side.

Let's hope that the government will take things seriously and get things resolved soon.