Unisa vs Technicol SA

Darkshade91

Hi guys, this would be my first time using something like this. I am struggling in making a decision. I want to start my studies towards a mechanical engineer. I want to know whether i must do my diploma and btech through Unisa or do i do my N3 - N6 courses through Technicol SA? Please just give me a reason why you think so as well... Thanks guys

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Hi guys, this would be my first time using something like this. I am struggling in making a decision. I want to start my studies towards a mechanical engineer. I want to know whether i must do my diploma and btech through Unisa or do i do my N3 - N6 courses through Technicol SA? Please just give me a reason why you think so as well... Thanks guys
Why not TUT?, i vote TUT, its full time and lecture based, this will always be better than UNISA in my opinion. (for Engineering)

Darkshade91

I am currently working as a artisan fitter at a well established company earning a good salary so part time is my only option. But that for your opinion...

thechamp

Honorary Master
I support the Diploma route through Unisa, I think your prospects of growth will be greatly enhanced with a diploma although this will be more challenging for someone with fulltime employment than the N courses but it will be more beneficial in the long term.

The FET college is not bad either since you already working in the field and being a qualified artisan can put you in a better position for future employment.

P.S. I've never heard of Technicol before, make sure they are properly registered and accredited if you decide to go with them.

Darkshade91

Thanks for your opinion guys...Technicol SA is actually a well established long distance learning institution which the company i work for uses as default for N coarse training. I also thought about doing the Unisa thing, but my Maintenance Manager (Engineer) adviced me against Unisa because of the time and the amount of subjects it will take before i get where i need to be...

thechamp

Honorary Master
Thanks for your opinion guys...Technicol SA is actually a well established long distance learning institution which the company i work for uses as default for N coarse training. I also thought about doing the Unisa thing, but my Maintenance Manager (Engineer) adviced me against Unisa because of the time and the amount of subjects it will take before i get where i need to be...
Your boss is right, More than about 22 or so subject for the Diploma and even more if you continue with the Btech, but there is nothing wrong in starting with the N courses and after that you can always pursue your Diploma/Btech.

Kwanyoni

Technicol SA College

Hi Guys, Technicol SA College is an accredited technical college, you can also obtain your diploma through them. If you complete your N6 and have 2 years experience in that field you will be issued a diploma from the department of education.