Unisa will let struggling students write open-book exams... at home

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Rather give them the answers sheet and ask them to write the questions ......

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
If they do this, and don't indicate on the students final graduation sheet, then the degree is totally worthless.. and its also massively unfair to all the students who passed the courses without having the benefit of an "open book" assessment.

saor

Honorary Master
How does this work then? I thought educational institutions like UNISA have to abide by certain standards in order to prevent their diplomas from becoming toiletpaper?

Cray

Honorary Master
Useless article unless we know the subjects that are allowing this...

Xino_sam

Expert Member
Not sure if that will work for all qualifications, what about accreditations, e.g. CIS courses you need to register with ICSA, those bodies will definitely not be happy?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
If they do this, and don't indicate on the students final graduation sheet, then the degree is totally worthless.. and its also massively unfair to all the students who passed the courses without having the benefit of an "open book" assessment.

^ that

biometrics

Honorary Master
I inquired through their website about finishing my degree on 6 July, still haven't had a reply other than the automated receipt.

So, not so sure that institution/degree is worth much.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
why don't they just have the teachers reading out the answers from the front of the class for the kids that didn't get the answers correct during the exam.

:wtf:

quantity over quality seems to be the way the education department is going.

R13...

Honorary Master
I don't see a problem here unless the student ends up having someone else taking the exam for them. I would hope they have mechanism to check that sort of thing - I know when I was at university you couldn't spend the year as an average student and then suddenly get 90% in the exam. If that happened it means you cheated if the rest of the class averages stay the same per student. And you'd be forced to retake or marked down to your average.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
This was a topic of discussion on 702 this morning. Apparently many of the students have said these assessments are actually tougher than the "closed-book" ones, and it only applies to specific subjects where it can work. Students are basically being challenged to apply their knowledge in a more creative and innovative way, rather than simply listing x, y or z.

2 students (that I heard) phoned in and said they consider it at least on par with the previous method, if not more difficult.

And they've been using open-book assessments at the bigger universities for as long as I can remember.

ellyally

Expert Member
Why bother letting people write, just start giving certificates and degrees to anyone when they enrol. Saves the trees.