United States and 60 other nations launch Declaration for the Future of the Internet

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Sixty countries sign US vow for a democratic Internet — and South Africa isn't one of them

The United States and 60 other nations signed the Declaration for the Future of the Internet, presented by the White House, on Thursday, 28 April 2022, and South Africa was not one of them.

The countries that signed the declaration have committed to protecting human rights, promoting the unhindered flow of information, protecting user privacy, and a set of rules for growing an international digital economy.

neoprema

Executive Member
I would love to hear the reason why South Africa wasn't one of the nations to sign.
Because its really only money that is keeping them from turning our internet into a copy of Russia and China's... to our govt thats the "proper" way.

Cactus

Expert Member
How is more governance better? The Internet is already open in South Africa. Why change it? A government panel isn't going to stop malware or improve cybersecurity. Install an AV and don't be an idiot.

saor

Honorary Master
How is more governance better? The Internet is already open in South Africa. Why change it? A government panel isn't going to stop malware or improve cybersecurity. Install an AV and don't be an idiot.
Read the Declaration. It's linked in the article.

Over the last two decades, however, we have witnessed serious challenges to this vision emerge. Access to the open Internet is limited by some authoritarian governments and online platforms and digital tools are increasingly used to repress freedom of expression and deny other human rights and fundamental freedoms.

State-sponsored or condoned malicious behavior is on the rise, including the spread of disinformation and cybercrimes such as ransomware, affecting the security and the resilience of critical infrastructure while holding at risk vital public and private assets. At the same time, countries have erected firewalls and taken other technical measures, such as Internet shutdowns, to restrict access to journalism, information, and services, in ways that are contrary to international human rights commitments and obligations. Concerted or independent actions of some governments and private actors have sought to abuse the openness of Internet governance and related processes to advance a closed vision.

Moreover, the once decentralized Internet economy has become highly concentrated and many people have legitimate concerns about their privacy and the quantity and security of personal data collected and stored online. Online platforms have enabled an increase in the spread of illegal or harmful content that can threaten the safety of individuals and contribute to radicalization and violence. Disinformation and foreign malign activity is used to sow division and conflict between individuals or groups in society, undermining respect for and protection of human rights and democratic institutions.

rvZA

Honorary Master
South African politicians did not read or understand the document, as they cannot do either. They are waiting for someone to come read and explain it for them. Just difficult as there aren't any qualified people in schools or universities at this moment to do it. I have no doubt the ANC will sign it. They were believed to be the country with the best Human Rights bill in the world. They believe in treating all people the same and do not discriminate. They are a democracy. They believe in freedom of speech and will not restrict it.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
I would love to hear the reason why South Africa wasn't one of the nations to sign.
They were probably too lazy to complete the documentation required.
The other aspect is that they probably are seizing control of the internet in SA already and it will just get worse. We copy everything out Chinese overlords do.

rvZA

Honorary Master
I get it, but the US signing some declaration isn't going to make Iran stop censoring journalists. How will this actually help?

Just that the countries signing it will offer their citizens open and free Internet across the globe. Countries who did not sign it, retains the right to block internet access, limit internet access or decide what citizens can do, see and hear online without breaking any international agreements.

Cactus

Expert Member
Just that the countries signing it will offer their citizens open and free Internet across the globe. Countries who did not sign it, retains the right to block internet access, limit internet access or decide what citizens can do, see and hear online without breaking any international agreements.
Call me a cynical, but it feels like the gov actually wants to control the Internet to some extent.

If you read the PDF, they promote a lot of good things and that's great, but unless you legislate you can promote all you want, in the end companies need to be willing to adopt/change policies. If you start legislating, then suddenly the government controls the Internet. It's a slippery slope in my opinion.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I read through the declaration and I agree, but as with all ‘movements’ practice as you preach. Then again, interpretation. When I said, "Twitter", above, it is a test to how open those who elected to govern the internet want the internet to be. Free has always had its restrictions.

Anyhow, I guess this is something the world can get behind.

Corelli

Expert Member
There is big bucks to be made from SA's users information. Just found out the HR where I work at sold my info including contacr numbers and addressses to a marketing company and its no big deal.

Taxed

The countries that signed the declaration have committed to protecting human rights, promoting the unhindered flow of information, protecting user privacy, and a set of rules for growing an international digital economy.
LOL. That was a good laugh. I needed that.