Univ. of Minnesota Compiles Database of Peer-Reviewed, Open-Access Textbooks

nexxus

Well done to them, textbook costs are ludicrous. Now someone needs to put pressure on universities and colleges to perhaps use these rather than the latest edition of whatever their textbook vendor force feeds them.

With the massive amount of high quality educational material available online these days & devices like the Kindle, there's no reason for insanely priced textbooks unless they deal with very specific higher end study.

greggpb

Expert Member
Well done to them, textbook costs are ludicrous. Now someone needs to put pressure on universities and colleges to perhaps use these rather than the latest edition of whatever their textbook vendor force feeds them.

With the massive amount of high quality educational material available online these days & devices like the Kindle, there's no reason for insanely priced textbooks unless they deal with very specific higher end study.

In my experience I find the textbooks are normally high prices books written by some prof at the uni..
I have no Idea why a profs that writes a text book at varsity would not supply it to his students free of charge

Gnome

Executive Member
In my experience I find the textbooks are normally high prices books written by some prof at the uni..
I have no Idea why a profs that writes a text book at varsity would not supply it to his students free of charge

Because they can make money by selling those text books to students... Should be obvious :p