University Mass Protests

Brentontw

So as a student at the University of Pretoria, I have been watching the strikes take place at other institutions and watched how they have gone from peaceful to violent. This morning protests arrived at Tuks and so far remained peaceful, hopefully it stays this way. While I understand the motive behind these strikes and feel the original cause is one worth supporting at this point I question whether the people who are involved are protesting with purpose or just protesting to protest.

I completely support any peaceful and legal protest, whether I agree with reasoning thereof or not, however, what annoys me to a large extent is not just when these protests turn violent but when the people involved start forcing other students to join the movement and threatening them if they don't. Take this video https://www.facebook.com/perdeby/videos/10153755150584198/ as an example, the protesters moved their demonstration outside the main campus library which also houses the study center and are not only distracting people who want to study from their work but also demanding they join.

This sort of action in my opinion is unfair, by all means have your protests and make your point but keep it civil and try your best to let daily life continue its flow for those who do not want to join your movement.

realbigdreamer

Agreed, many of the people protesting don't even know what they are protesting for from what I've seen.

Brawler

Executive Member
I think its just the way it is in SA. Good for nothings just latch on to any protest so that they can loot and run amok.

I have spent years at UCT and also live in the area. I know what UCT students look and sound like and half of these tards do not look or sound anything like the typical UCT student.

Alan

Honorary Master
I think its just the way it is in SA. Good for nothings just latch on to any protest so that they can loot and run amok.
Same thing happened with the race riots in the U.S and the student riots in London a few years back.

Armgame

Half of the people don't even know why they are protesting. A friend in res told me yesterday that most people are protesting without actually seeing the big picture.

Their demands are also pretty out there, free university, etc....

adsl2

Expert Member
I don't have a problem with universities increasing the registration fee. I can't speak for other universities but at the University of Pretoria the registration fee forms part of your tuition fees. A lot of the articles don't state this and make it looks like the registration fee is separate from the tuition fees. What percentage of students' tuition accounts are in arrears? Universities need a way to make up for the many students who are not paying their accounts. I think this is especially a problem with first year drop-outs.

From the looks of things, the protest at UP changed from the initial focus on registration fees to no increase and now it is changing to higher subsidies from the government and free education. While I agree that bigger subsidies are necessary as a 3% increase is below inflation, free education is not something that SA can supoprt now, or in the near future. I doesn't make sense to offer free tertiary education when you have millions who live in poverty.

My biggest concern is that pretty much all big universities in South Africa are in lock down with 2 weeks to go till the main exams start. To attend lectures at this point in time is crucial.

c3n0byt3

I don't have a problem with universities increasing the registration fee. I can't speak for other universities but at the University of Pretoria the registration fee forms part of your tuition fees. A lot of the articles don't state this and make it looks like the registration fee is separate from the tuition fees. What percentage of students' tuition accounts are in arrears? Universities need a way to make up for the many students who are not paying their accounts. I think this is especially a problem with first year drop-outs.

From the looks of things, the protest at UP changed from the initial focus on registration fees to no increase and now it is changing to higher subsidies from the government and free education. While I agree that bigger subsidies are necessary as a 3% increase is below inflation, free education is not something that SA can supoprt now, or in the near future. I doesn't make sense to offer free tertiary education when you have millions who live in poverty.

My biggest concern is that pretty much all big universities in South Africa are in lock down with 2 weeks to go till the main exams start. To attend lectures at this point in time is crucial.
Now can you imagine one of the protesters saying these words in a coherent manner?