University of Zululand professor shot dead in his car, motive unknown

ForceFate

Honorary Master
An executive staff member of the University of Zululand was shot dead outside his home on the KwaZulu-Natal north coast on Tuesday afternoon.

Dean of the Faculty of Arts Professor Gregory Kamwendo was in his vehicle when he was gunned down.

"A 53-year-old man arrived at his home in Durford road‚ Empangeni‚ when he was shot by two unknown suspects while in his vehicle. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body and was declared dead at the scene by paramedics‚" said KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbhele.

She said the motive for the killing was unknown at this stage.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...rofessor-shot-dead-in-his-car-motive-unknown/

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Xenophobia, or he slighted a student or something like that more then likely...

OCP

Expert Member
Perhaps a jealous boyfriend after giving someone a chance to up her grade....

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Xenophobia, or he slighted a student or something like that more then likely...
Could even be something as mundane as road rage.

Back in our student days, a guy from KZN once fired a shot at a friend of a friend. Reason? Apparently he insulted him. He missed and the bullet ricochetted off a security door and hit my friend between the toes. Lol. My friend was trying to calm the guy down and quell the disorder when the lad went to his apartment and returned with a pistol.

schumi

Honorary Master
Former lecturer appears in court for alleged role in murder of UniZulu academic

A former lecturer at the University of Zululand (UniZulu) appeared in court on Tuesday for his alleged part in the murder of prominent academic Professor Gregory Kamwendo.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Natasha Kara said academic Solly Nkuna, 49, and suspected trigger man Oscar Mbhekiseni Mthiyane, 50, are accused of premeditated murder.
They return to the Empangeni Magistrate's Court on December 12 where their formal bail application will be heard.
It has been widely reported that Kamwendo was killed after allegedly uncovering a fraudulent PhD syndicate at the institution.

The university, however, denied this in a statement on Wednesday and said vital facts had been distorted.
"We have noted with shock that speculation and pre-emptive arguments are widespread on the motive of the murder. Yet the law enforcement investigators of the case have not made any public statement on the motive of the killing."

Dissertations found not to be compliant

Police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele did not reveal details of the case but confirmed that the men appeared in court.
UniZulu said the allegedly erroneous reports were aimed at denting the reputation of both Kamwendo and the institution.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...d-role-in-murder-of-unizulu-academic-20181205

ponder

Honorary Master
Could even be something as mundane as road rage.

Back in our student days, a guy from KZN once fired a shot at a friend of a friend. Reason? Apparently he insulted him. He missed and the bullet ricochetted off a security door and hit my friend between the toes. Lol. My friend was trying to calm the guy down and quell the disorder when the lad went to his apartment and returned with a pistol.
Sigh, zulus again...

schumi

Honorary Master
Two men sentenced to life for murder of UniZulu professor

The killers of University of Zululand (UniZulu) professor Gregory Kamwendo have been sentenced to life imprisonment following his brutal murder in 2018.

Oscar Mkhuliseni Mthiyane, 53, and Selby Nkuna, 49, were handed down life sentences in the Pietermartizburg high court on Thursday for the murder of Kamwendo, 53, a former professor and dean in the faculty of arts at UniZulu.

Police spokesperson Capt Nqobile Gwala said on May 22 2018 that Kamwendo parked his vehicle inside his gated estate on Durnford Road in Empangeni, northern KwaZulu-Natal.

"While stationary in his vehicle, he was shot and killed by two men. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds on the upper body and was declared dead at the scene. A case of murder was opened for investigation at Empangeni police station," she said. Nkuna, Kamwendo’s former colleague, and Dundee security guard Mthiyane were arrested in a police swoop in November 2018.
More at : https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...nced-to-life-for-murder-of-unizulu-professor/

R13...

Honorary Master
SowetanLIVE reported that Kamwendo’s murder come after the professor had uncovered a fraudulent PhD syndicate at the institution.

The paper reported that Kamwendo had opposed the alleged syndicate, which ultimately resulted in his death.
That "university" should be closed. PhD syndicate and years ago they were found to be selling degrees too. Not sure what came of that, assume it carries as no one got killed for that.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Sigh, zulus again...
One of the nicest, coolest women I've dated was from KZN. We parted amicably. My close friend is married to a KZN lass. The most down-to-earth person of our generation (obviously exaggerating but she's so humble you almost feel pity for her).