Unleaded 93 petrol price increases to R19.32 per litre

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
35litre, 1.1 litre car,
times like this is when I love these small cars, that for 95% of people work brilliantly.
why exactly do you need a SUV or a Gigantic Bakkie? for just driving around normally, I have yet to understand actually.

I think its a status symbol and not actually anything more then that.
Yeah I went down from a petrol guzzling 2l car to a 1.2l Swift.
Could fee the lack of power but quickly got used to the Swift and now not looking back anymore. Nippy to drive, turn and park. Saving a fortune on petrol. I don't need a tank as a status symbol. In fact i'm looking down on the oafs in their monster trucks scheming they are some urban cowboy or something. Tsek.

absynth

Expert Member
of course, drive slower to piss them off, just because I can,
and love seeing how expensive their land trucks drink fuel at the Petrol station, mine full tank is R500, for them that maybe gets them to a 3rd of their tank,
easily R800-900 1K for their SUV's that never go off road.
Just got back from Kgalagadi.We topped up in Nossob.
Before the pump was reset, there was an amount of R1595 on it.
I kid you not.
All these people with their V8 SUVs and silly overland trailers everywhere.
What happened to good old camping in your tent, but it seems most people need to take their whole house along these days.Felt like a Keeping up with the Joneses going on.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
This is a global problem, not just limited to South Africa. If you think petrol is expensive in South Africa, take a look at what people in Europe are paying. Still cheap by comparison.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Unlikely. There will be bloodshed if they do this - literally. I know hundreds of people who would rather die or kill people that force them to take the shot.
Judging by how South Africans pushed back against draconian lockdown regulations, I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I'm expecting long queues in the blazing summer-sun as people line up to get their "free" jabs.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Can you imagine what will happen if everybody tries to sell their petrol-thirsty SUV on the market and buying a cheaper car?

Prices will drop, and fools will rush in to buy cheap big cars, only to moan about the fuel consumption...

It also will most probably change the shape of the vehicle market and industry - gas guzzlers will be discontinued in favour of more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Garage 54/DeBoss Garage should try and retrofit a Hi-Ace taxi with a 1.1l engine - think of the fuel savings that way! :ROFL:

LCBXX

Honorary Master
This is a global problem, not just limited to South Africa. If you think petrol is expensive in South Africa, take a look at what people in Europe are paying. Still cheap by comparison.
We're not in Europe, are we?

cyb3rt

I'm just going to post the first older Google result I got cause it feels like you trolling me...
But anyway, apologies, might not have been "weeks" as I stated, but well before this week.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Can you imagine what will happen if everybody tries to sell their petrol-thirsty SUV on the market and buying a cheaper car?

Prices will drop, and fools will rush in to buy cheap big cars, only to moan about the fuel consumption...

It also will most probably change the shape of the vehicle market and industry - gas guzzlers will be discontinued in favour of more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Garage 54/DeBoss Garage should try and retrofit a Hi-Ace taxi with a 1.1l engine - think of the fuel savings that way! :ROFL:
Im actually looking for a Land Rover Defender V8, I use to own a TD5, I will wait for prices to drop more coz they're too damn expensive right now, hopefully next year.
What did you get for yours @MightyQuin ?

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The media kept this back right up until election day closes. Still believe they aren't captured?

Eh? The media don't control when DMRE announces the fuel price.

"The media" has been running articles on the expected exorbitant price hike for weeks, helped along by the AA calling it a "catastrophe" :imp:

Yup, normally we know in the last week of the month how much the petrol increase will be before the first Wednesday of following months increase
Sneaky Hobittisness's

Now that you mention it... it was a sneaky move from the DMRE.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Judging by how South Africans pushed back against draconian lockdown regulations, I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I'm expecting long queues in the blazing summer-sun as people line up to get their "free" jabs.
Nah, there will still be a pushback against the vaccine.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Im actually looking for a Land Rover Defender V8, I use to own a TD5, I will wait for prices to drop more coz they're too damn expensive right now, hopefully next year.
What did you get for yours @MightyQuin ?
Mine was a Disco 2 Facelift V8 ( Chevy Conversion )

Got R100k cash for it.

Aghori

Honorary Master
Even if petrol went up to R40 a litre, it wouldn't make much of a difference to most of us here.

It would affect the blue-collars and the great unwashed masses in the form of increased food prices and taxi fares etc.

epah

Expert Member
35litre, 1.1 litre car,
times like this is when I love these small cars, that for 95% of people work brilliantly.
why exactly do you need a SUV or a Gigantic Bakkie? for just driving around normally, I have yet to understand actually.

I think its a status symbol and not actually anything more then that.

Your mind can be a bit narrow, not everyone wants to rattle around in an underpowered 1.1 liter car, some people prefer suvs for their comfort, not having to change down gears and listen to a small engine scream on every slight uphill, Suvs aren’t also bought for their “ good” fuel consumption are they?

Sitting in traffic in a nice big comfortable car is way better than 1.1 Tupperware.