Unlocked the 5G connection today

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Procedure is setup indoor CPE using RAIN optimizer. If you are able to meet minimum requirements you're golden. If you're unable to activate indoor unit (true in my case) they will send technician to find best place. Failing that they make call with engineers.

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
Rain 5G has been fun until the tower went down for a week and promises of a credit that never materialized and their absolute refusal to install an outdoor unit for me I have decided that end of December I would be cancelling my 5G service and just stick with my 200Mbps pure fibre from Afrihost.

Some might find this shocking but Afrihost has been really really good to me and Rain needs me to always follow up with them and I get no where. With Afrihost I have the CTO number on whatsapp and he makes things happen if something is wrong even 11pm at night.

Rain let me down and if they were serious they would have come and installed or at least offered me and ODU considering the tower was down for more than 1 week. Very sad but yeah it is what it is. I will keep checking and see how it performs but I think I made up my mind.

• Sad

MrMaph

Anyone using 5G CPE device on Rain LTE? I want to buy the device and use it with 4G. I don't care about the 5G service atleast for now.

Does it help the speed on Rain LTE?

mrlgm007

Anyone using 5G CPE device on Rain LTE? I want to buy the device and use it with 4G. I don't care about the 5G service atleast for now.

I will try my Sim in it later to night and let you know

Leno

Expert Member

I have been using it on LTE, I get 4G+ (1800+2600 CA)

The latency is also a lot more stable, a very good router.

• Love

DaDon

Hi all,

I have bit the bullet and ordered the "Black Friday Special" -for me it seems a good deal ( bar the contract ) as i am on 10MBit aDSL and thats the best I can get in my area - too far away from exchange to even consider 40MBit vDSL... and no fibre plans as far as I can see... my questions are:

• Which device are the 5G users actually getting - H112-370 / H112-372?

• The only online i play is really LoL to the EU West servers, how is the ping as currently on my aDSL, it hovers between 250-290ms

• I am thinking of trailing the RAIN 5G for 1 month to see how the speeds are and what not, but if i feel they are good, i want to cancel the telkom crap and all... I do want to have voice, who/what are the best options with getting my landline ported over with good results, I see VOX BF deal is Vobi Voice Calling R171.35 pm - would that work with RAIN 5G? this is a more important question that the 2 above...

• I have an DSL-AC52U router currently, would this be of any use with RAIN 5G?

• How would I be able to see which 5G towers are around my area? is there a site to check this info on? I do get 65573 network if this helps but saw this should taken with a pince of salt as it "might" not be accurate 5G...

Apologies for the above noob'ish question, but yeh, coming from copper infrastructure to wireless is a different ball game for me... and since i have bit the bullet, need to learn...

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
D

Leno

Expert Member
there is a coverage map on https://www.rain.co.za/fiveg

to estimate where the actual towers are you will have to judge from the signal pattern on the map, which on flat ground would normally look like a flower out from the tower. Hills etc affect this pattern though. Also tricky if there are a few towers around

mrlgm007

Hi

The 5G experience has not gone well for me but I had to try.

No mater where inside between 2mb and 105mb out side on the roof I get 370mb.

I have contacted rain support and have not activated it yet currently the router is out side in the sun on a ladder to get the above speed.

Rain says I can activate it I said now and sent them a Pic where the router was was told they will come to site next week.

Jake45

Expert Member
How much are you currently spending on ADSL?

If you are paying close to R1000 per month already then the Rain offer seems reasonable to me provided that you can get decent reliable speeds. I would far prefer Rain 5G over DSTV which is a similar price. I am in the process of moving over to Afrihost Pure LTE but they only offer small capped accounts which becomes expensive quickly if you require large amounts of data.

Lots of fibre customers have switched to Freshphone for cheap Voip services. You are only charged for the calls that you make. The rates look very good to me. If you want to port your existing number in December you need to do it very soon as the cutoff date is 13 December otherwise you will have to wait until January.

DaDon

there is a coverage map on https://www.rain.co.za/fiveg

to estimate where the actual towers are you will have to judge from the signal pattern on the map, which on flat ground would normally look like a flower out from the tower. Hills etc affect this pattern though. Also tricky if there are a few towers around
Thanks, i do know of the coverage map, which i do fall under.. hence i bit the bullet
Cheers
D