Unlocked the 5G connection today

DaDon

How much are you currently spending on ADSL?

If you are paying close to R1000 per month already then the Rain offer seems reasonable to me provided that you can get decent reliable speeds. I would far prefer Rain 5G over DSTV which is a similar price. I am in the process of moving over to Afrihost Pure LTE but they only offer small capped accounts which becomes expensive quickly if you require large amounts of data.

Lots of fibre customers have switched to Freshphone for cheap Voip services. You are only charged for the calls that you make. The rates look very good to me. If you want to port your existing number in December you need to do it very soon as the cutoff date is 13 December otherwise you will have to wait until January.
currently paying around R1200 ( telkom & vox fat pipe 300gb ), hence this to me seems like a no brainer...
thanks, i have had a look at freshphone weeks ago, was thinking signing up with them, but saw the vox special, and now i am in 2 minds... unlimited calls with vox with a monthly charge vs. billing calls with no monthly... i think it all works out the same in the end, but question comes with service, who is better vox / freshphone...

Cheers
D

under_sky

Expert Member
Taken the outdoor unit to my other house on the roof I can see within about 200 meters to 1.5km 12 cell towers of which the dam unit jumps from tower to tower but speeds at around 300mbps to 500mbps wish you could let it select a specific tower. The outdoor unit is Kak with 4g though put a vodacom SIM in and only get 2-3 bars of signal obviously not optimised for 4g

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ever since they fixed the power issue at the tower my 5G has been consistently good. Decent speeds. Latency still pretty good to EU.

Reactions: Yuu

DaDon

Hi all,

I have bit the bullet and ordered the "Black Friday Special" -for me it seems a good deal ( bar the contract ) as i am on 10MBit aDSL and thats the best I can get in my area - too far away from exchange to even consider 40MBit vDSL... and no fibre plans as far as I can see... my questions are:

• Which device are the 5G users actually getting - H112-370 / H112-372?

• The only online i play is really LoL to the EU West servers, how is the ping as currently on my aDSL, it hovers between 250-290ms

• I am thinking of trailing the RAIN 5G for 1 month to see how the speeds are and what not, but if i feel they are good, i want to cancel the telkom crap and all... I do want to have voice, who/what are the best options with getting my landline ported over with good results, I see VOX BF deal is Vobi Voice Calling R171.35 pm - would that work with RAIN 5G? this is a more important question that the 2 above...

• I have an DSL-AC52U router currently, would this be of any use with RAIN 5G?

• How would I be able to see which 5G towers are around my area? is there a site to check this info on? I do get 65573 network if this helps but saw this should taken with a pince of salt as it "might" not be accurate 5G...

Apologies for the above noob'ish question, but yeh, coming from copper infrastructure to wireless is a different ball game for me... and since i have bit the bullet, need to learn...

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
D
*BUMP*
sorry for bumping, but need some good info on the ^ questions
again, sorry for bumping...

Cheers
D

PAYBACK

Expert Member
You will get Hauwei 5G CPE Pro. I’m sure you can use your existing modem as WiFi repeater. Online gaming did not change much coming off ADSL 10meg - BFV 20-30 Fortnite EURO 180-200.

cavedog

Honorary Master
*BUMP*
sorry for bumping, but need some good info on the ^ questions
again, sorry for bumping...

Cheers
D

Rain Supplies the H112-370

I have posted some comparative result in this thread. You are looking at between 180-185ms to EU West.

The Vox vobi deal is a very nice deal but it's only via the Android or ios app as far as I could tell so maybe now the best solution. Might be better to get Telkom IP Voice, Mweb Talk or Freshphone in an ATA and use your current phones for VOIP. Will work on any internet connection including 5G.

I believe that is a DSL router so won't be any use unless you can set it as repeater mode or just use it as a switch by turning NAT off in the settings. The Huawei H112-370 comes with pretty impressive wifi6 and broadcasts 1 wifi name and uses the best technology available. My S10 has wifi6. Close to the router it's on wifi6 then as I move further away it switches to 5GHz and then to 2.4GHz untill it loses signal. Very nice as with other routers you get multiple wifi names and passwords.

If there is limited coverage then you can look at the map with the dark blue circle around it to determine the location of the tower. IF there is a lot of over laping coverage it will be slightly more difficult and you would need to ask Rain call centre they will give you the street name of where the tower is located.

under_sky

Expert Member
Rain Supplies the H112-370

I have posted some comparative result in this thread. You are looking at between 180-185ms to EU West.

The Vox vobi deal is a very nice deal but it's only via the Android or ios app as far as I could tell so maybe now the best solution. Might be better to get Telkom IP Voice, Mweb Talk or Freshphone in an ATA and use your current phones for VOIP. Will work on any internet connection including 5G.

I believe that is a DSL router so won't be any use unless you can set it as repeater mode or just use it as a switch by turning NAT off in the settings. The Huawei H112-370 comes with pretty impressive wifi6 and broadcasts 1 wifi name and uses the best technology available. My S10 has wifi6. Close to the router it's on wifi6 then as I move further away it switches to 5GHz and then to 2.4GHz untill it loses signal. Very nice as with other routers you get multiple wifi names and passwords.

If there is limited coverage then you can look at the map with the dark blue circle around it to determine the location of the tower. IF there is a lot of over laping coverage it will be slightly more difficult and you would need to ask Rain call centre they will give you the street name of where the tower is located.
Vox Vobi can be used in a deck phone etc. They give you the details just need to set it up which isnt too difficult. only thing with their uncapped package is i kept on having issues calls every now and then wouldnt go through

under_sky

Expert Member
By the way MTN is in the pre release stage for 5G in cape town probably just them testing as the coast is the best place for testing against elements etc

byronsn

By the way MTN is in the pre release stage for 5G in cape town probably just them testing as the coast is the best place for testing against elements etc

View attachment 750737
Is there any further information regarding the 5G from MTN? I havent found any indication that MTN was planning this service anytime soon. I believe that with MTN we should see faster coverage than RAIN, due purely to their size. Lets hope that the offer is at least in line with what RAIN is currently offering in terms of pricing.

Hopefully with more entrants in the 5G arena, we will finally get the service sooner. :unsure:

Leno

MTN has been testing 5G for a few months on their tower on our building in PE, couldnt get any more details out of the guys when they installed the new equipment, they were probably contractors anyway :p

• Wow

Leno

Is there any further information regarding the 5G from MTN? I havent found any indication that MTN was planning this service anytime soon. I believe that with MTN we should see faster coverage than RAIN, due purely to their size. Lets hope that the offer is at least in line with what RAIN is currently offering in terms of pricing.

Hopefully with more entrants in the 5G arena, we will finally get the service sooner. :unsure:
They probably getting ready so that the moment the new spectrum is allocated they can go live quite soon

under_sky

Expert Member
Yeah most networks are doing that same with Vodacom in Midrand they have been testing there also. Ideally next year april ish i think we might see some things happening

TechnoChicken

You will get Hauwei 5G CPE Pro. I’m sure you can use your existing modem as WiFi repeater. Online gaming did not change much coming off ADSL 10meg - BFV 20-30 Fortnite EURO 180-200.
My pings are similar. My ADSL is crap though, with very high downstream attenuation (55db) and other exchange issues so no matter which ISP I use the lowest pings I got to Apex Legends servers in the UK were 230ish and PubG pings are240ish. Local playing BF V and CoD MW I was averaging 60ish.

Now on 5G local pings are 20-30 local and EU games 180-200 which is perfect for me.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Rain 5G is BOSS with international. What you get local you get international always.

London, UK

New York, US

Amsterdam, NL

• Love