Unlocked the 5G connection today

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Try reset at the back first (by the simcard housing) then try again. Its either admin, admin or admin, password. Can't remember exactly. Don't waste your time with RAIN help desktop they are not very clued up yet with ODU's.

under_sky

Expert Member
Ah. Makes sense. So I would have to buy my own antenna and set it up? If yes, how much would such cost?
If you ever get your hands on the Rain ODU is around $2000 excluding the Q2 indoor which is kinda required for it to work. Right now the 5G stuff is very expensive

under_sky

Expert Member
Jeez over R20k?!
Yeah you would need to import one last I checked it was $1999
So I don’t think rain is exactly giving them out as when they also come to your premises they test to validate

MrMaph

Hope they don't ruin it because I'm stuck with them for 2 years :ROFL:
Rain trying to lock us down in case their network flops again you can't leave. I don't think a 2 year contract with such fast moving technology and telecoms is a good idea, Especially given that next year other operators might get 5G spectrum. There will be increased competition and products even with LTE which is why they are locking people down with 2 year contracts.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Not me I only took like 400GB last month, those 4K videos add up :) I'm not a power user. Or am I ?
I don't feel like it will depend on usage, more how often you actually run things full speed. So running 4k vids for a few hours after work should be fine, but if you are stopping the vids and then download all night, and while you are at work, it might cause a few issues.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Rain trying to lock us down in case their network flops again you can't leave. I don't think a 2 year contract with such fast moving technology and telecoms is a good idea, Especially given that next year other operators might get 5G spectrum. There will be increased competition and products even with LTE which is why they are locking people down with 2 year contracts.
They are more then welcome to in my view. I'm fairly certain that this won't be a problem because when other providers do come out with 5G packages, everyone should have more than enough 5G going around for everyone. Then Rain won't have issues with people oversubscribing.
Also, wonder what Voda and MTN are going to charge for an uncapped 5G connection, and a capped 5G connection would need to have large caps to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu

MrMaph

They are more then welcome to in my view. I'm fairly certain that this won't be a problem because when other providers do come out with 5G packages, everyone should have more than enough 5G going around for everyone. Then Rain won't have issues with people oversubscribing.
Also, wonder what Voda and MTN are going to charge for an uncapped 5G connection, and a capped 5G connection would need to have large caps to make it worthwhile.
Yeah good point but we must remember that in Tech a lot can happen in two years, so lets wait and see who will have the last laugh Rain or the contract clients. WOAN will have 5G spectrum from what i saw, 5G competition will come from not only Vodacom and MTN, but smaller operators than rain will also enter the market too. The big guys won't hesitate to price uncapped 5G lower than Rain to make it undercut it just like Axxess & Afrihost pricing the same packages R49 cheaper than Supersonic. This will hurt the market share cause many are happy to save that R49.

Reactions: Yuu

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Yeah good point but we must remember that in Tech a lot can happen in two years, so lets wait and see who will have the last laugh Rain or the contract clients. WOAN will have 5G spectrum from what i saw, 5G competition will come from not only Vodacom and MTN, but smaller operators than rain will also enter the market too. The big guys won't hesitate to price uncapped 5G lower than Rain to make it undercut it just like Axxess & Afrihost pricing the same packages R49 cheaper than Supersonic. This will hurt the market share cause many are happy to save that R49.
The problem is, I don't think rain are making that much profit, so it would be hard for other providers to come in cheaper then that