Unlocked the 5G connection today

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
:)
that I have, they say nothing that they can see wrong / affecting such a speed drop on their end...
but they said once the technicians come back, they will come through to my premises to have a look... they should be back to work tomorrow, so lets see...
Ah, thats awesome, let us know

Jimmy

My max speed is around 300mbps but during the day it seems to fluctuate between 150-280. It's fast but I wish it would be a constant 300. Does the speed get shaped during the day or what?

Last edited:

redleh

Hi guys,
I hope someone can give me some guidance.
I received my 5G modem last week and I am having a weird issue.

I have connected my TV to the WIFI and when I try to stream Netflix, it's actually very slow and it keeps om buffering. I actually get better streaming performance on 4G LTE.
I have done some speedtests on my mobile and my laptop and speed varies in a range of 60M to 280M.
The modem is indoors and pointed towards the tower.
It's really weird because the performance issue seems to be only when connected with the TV.

Contacted Rain and they told me to point the modem to the tower but that's already the case.

Edit : further research points towards the TV not being able to handle 5Ghz wifi. Will need to test it on 2.4

Last edited:

SNaidoo

Hi guys,

I have connected my TV to the WIFI and when I try to stream Netflix, it's actually very slow and it keeps om buffering. I actually get better streaming performance on 4G LTE.
I have done some speedtests on my mobile and my laptop and speed varies in a range of 60M to 280M.
It's really weird because the performance issue seems to be only when connected with the TV.

Contacted Rain and they told me to point the modem to the tower but that's already the case.
May be a wifi issue. How's the streaming on your laptop or mobile device?
Check whether the TV is connecting to your 2.4 or 5Ghz wifi. If 2.4 switch to 5Ghz and see.

Cyprio

Hi guys,

Edit : further research points towards the TV not being able to handle 5Ghz wifi. Will need to test it on 2.4
the wi fi on the original CPE isnt very good thus you dropping connection or slow...sorted with the new unit and router

Jbn222

May be a wifi issue. How's the streaming on your laptop or mobile device?
Check whether the TV is connecting to your 2.4 or 5Ghz wifi. If 2.4 switch to 5Ghz and see.
Can one extend the 5Ghz signal using a extender?

Cyprio

Can one extend the 5Ghz signal using a extender?
Yes but you may as well get the newest ones the old ones dont have the speed for Rain 5G ..full usage....up to 10 x slower the old ones...just to be clear theres a huge difference on network 5G ie. Rain Vodacom etc...... and Wi Fi 5G they are totally different concepts and speeds....buy all future Wi Fi equipment With Wi FI 6...that will give you forward redundancy Huawei Q2 home router is Wi-Fi 6 you can run them as a mesh as well if you have more than one unit...the complete Mesh set of 3 units costs R8000-9000. at the moment i use just 1 Base unit it covers my whole townhouse with full signal for a bigger home you would be better off with the 3 unit set.
Q2..3.jpg

it is pointless getting 5G Rain of up to 400mbs at the moment etc. if your older wi fi equipment running up 10 x slower max 150mbps cant utilize the increased bandwidth...plus you get natural network loss so in reality you run even slower i get 372 mbps max throughput from my rain router and i use a TP link usb dongle AC600 runs at 433 Mbps on 5G Wi fi on my desktop / power machine / mediaplayer and my laptop...my Huawei P20 fone has the latest Wi fi 6 hardware so runs at 433Mbps automatically.....see picsScreenshot_20200119_131547_com.netgear.WiFiAnalytics.jpgTPlink dongle.jpg

top pic is my Huawei P20 phone running netgear app
Bottom one is my desktop using windows connection Status

My rain comes down to 370-390Mbs so my wifi is fast enough i dont have much foreward redundancy if the network ie. rain gets faster.. but for now im good

Last edited:

Cyprio

Thanks. I was meaning using a old router as a extender.
You can use it as an extender but you will run slower....see what speed your router's wi fi runs at.....you can automatically tell if you see AC300, AC600, AC1200.etc AC 300 runs at 150mbs AC 600 runs at 433.4Mbps etc on their 5g wifi..... the 2.4 spectrum will be way slower ....due to bottle neck of your router or NIC choice most pcs have a gig connection or faster onboard the mothereboard uste a cat5 oe 6e LAN /patch cable to connect.......also look for QAM rating for your equipment try to use 256QAM or higher for your networking....it allows 2.4GHz to run 33% faster

Finally in your task manager and device usage shut down all things that use data..

also set windows QOS to zero In your Windows Group Policy Editor.....your internet will automatically run 20% faster.....CMD>gpedit.msc>...etc ...see image

And gpedit.jpgdownload the Netgear home testing app to test your routers capability and signal strength to your home from your phoneScreenshot_20200119_131547_com.netgear.WiFiAnalytics.jpg it on the google playstore for free

Last edited:

Jbn222

You can use it as an extender but you will run slower....see what speed your router's wi fi runs at.....you can automatically tell if you see AC300, AC600, AC1200.etc AC 300 runs at 150mbs AC 600 runs at 433.4Mbps etc on their 5g wifi..... the 2.4 spectrum will be way slower

download the Netgear home testing app to test your routers capability and signal strength to your home from your phoneView attachment 770358 it on the google playstore for free
Thanks. Moved my router to another part of house and now getting very good 5Ghz all over without using extenders.

redleh

the wi fi on the original CPE isnt very good thus you dropping connection or slow...sorted with the new unit and router
It was actually an issue with my TV. It's a very common problem with LG TVs.
After deactivating some options, it works much better now.

Out if curiosity what is the new unit ? Is it the one that is weatherproof ?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Could never get my Q2 working correctly. Even bought NETGEAR EX3700 speeds are atrocious.

Cyprio

that is the latest..make sure the modem especially the rectangular shaped one and the round on 192.168.8.1 also has firmware updated it provides WAN internet to your LAN...but it seems your signal is being impeded or you are on the outside of a coverage area....i'm not a rain tech...ask them to perhaps help.......

Cyprio

It is 24hrs unlimited. They will really have to communicate that difference to get it across to avoid some confusion :D .

As for the Huawei CPE Pro , i agree with @cavedog price won't stay at that price for everyone. It is atleast 5x more at retail.
Hi
A brand new Huawei CPE costs US $1300-1400 retail.......or R18 000 upwards

thus it is heavily subsidised but is also pre configured to run exclusively on their network it may be traced/blacklisted by IMEI like a smartphone so theft shouldnt be an issue but in our country as we know anything gets stolen,.....

FOR INFO the average 5G phone when they are readily available will start at R10 000 approximately the Samsung S10 5G is R14900 at the moment!

Last edited: