Unused DSTV Explora and old HD PVR's - Good for anything?

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
So I cut the cord a while ago. Still have my old DSTV HD PVR2P decoder and first generation DSTV Explora decoder taking up space in the house. I checked Gumtree and see that they are worth anything from R200 to R800 which is shocking compared to their original price which I paid for them.

Which begs the question....are they good for scrap metal? The old harddrives are surely worth a bit?
From checking the web it looks like the Explora has a normal Western Digital 2TB 2.5 inch SATA drive installed which can be removed and used with any PC. I am not sure which drive the PVR 2P comes with, but I think it's a 1TB drive. Does any one know?

Besides the harddrives, would there be anything else of value on the insides? The only value the old PVR2 P now have in my room (it's still plugged in) is as an electronic clock!! lol. But I guess the moment you take it apart and remove the HDD the clock will stop working?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
This is a good question. I hadn't thought of stripping mine for parts.

The risk of selling them, if you can find a buyer, is that you still have to transfer the device to someone else's name. It that doesn't work, they keep billing you. Or so I've heard...

MirageF1

Expert Member
The risk of selling them, if you can find a buyer, is that you still have to transfer the device to someone else's name.
No risk,just a bit of paperwork.

It that doesn't work, they keep billing you. Or so I've heard...
Wrong again. It's PAYG, month by month these days...

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
So I cut the cord a while ago. Still have my old DSTV HD PVR2P decoder and first generation DSTV Explora decoder taking up space in the house. I checked Gumtree and see that they are worth anything from R200 to R800 which is shocking compared to their original price which I paid for them.

Which begs the question....are they good for scrap metal? The old harddrives are surely worth a bit?
From checking the web it looks like the Explora has a normal Western Digital 2TB 2.5 inch SATA drive installed which can be removed and used with any PC. I am not sure which drive the PVR 2P comes with, but I think it's a 1TB drive. Does any one know?

Besides the harddrives, would there be anything else of value on the insides? The only value the old PVR2 P now have in my room (it's still plugged in) is as an electronic clock!! lol. But I guess the moment you take it apart and remove the HDD the clock will stop working?
Hi there
Yes I can use them for the cases (to build new things in with Raspberry Pis) and there's some useful bits and bobs inside. If you would consider sending them my way (I will pay something of course) I'd appreciate it. You can keep the hard drives if you wish (I imagine they're useful to you)

I've tried many times but there's nothing you can do with these things, except strip them for some bits and bobs.. the CPU and all that is locked down tighter than a duck's arse and MonoChoice has ensured the dev tools remain out of reach of the guy on the street, so no repurposing them as media players. I've tried... not once, many times.

MirageF1

Expert Member
@SeRpEnT to answer your q:

Easy as pie. Took me all of 5 mins to remove with a Torx 10 screwdriver, ordered a 2.5" casing with usb included from Takealot...
Connect to laptop, away you go...extra 500Gb storage.

Follow the youtube vid ...

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Hi there
Yes I can use them for the cases (to build new things in with Raspberry Pis) and there's some useful bits and bobs inside. If you would consider sending them my way (I will pay something of course) I'd appreciate it. You can keep the hard drives if you wish (I imagine they're useful to you)

I've tried many times but there's nothing you can do with these things, except strip them for some bits and bobs.. the CPU and all that is locked down tighter than a duck's arse and MonoChoice has ensured the dev tools remain out of reach of the guy on the street, so no repurposing them as media players. I've tried... not once, many times.
Let me have some fun with it first. Then if I cannot figure out what to do I will let you know.
So do these machines have a powersupply built in with usable connectors? And I would expect they come with a built in fan, yes?

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
@SeRpEnT to answer your q:

Easy as pie. Took me all of 5 mins to remove with a Torx 10 screwdriver, ordered a 2.5" casing with usb included from Takealot...
Connect to laptop, away you go...extra 500Gb storage.

Follow the youtube vid ...

Ahh ok, 500Gb Western Digital for the HD PVR2P then. I saw that video a while ago. Is that your video?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
No risk,just a bit of paperwork.

Wrong again. It's PAYG, month by month these days...
Yes. The risk is that they keep billing you, month by month, because the decoder and smart card are in your name.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Stripped mine for a 500GB CinemaStar HDD which has been working in by HTPC for years now without a hitch. The rest of the device went into a recycling bin at Makro.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Let me have some fun with it first. Then if I cannot figure out what to do I will let you know.
So do these machines have a powersupply built in with usable connectors? And I would expect they come with a built in fan, yes?
Not sure... the power supplies in the past were incredibly weak... and the newer models used a wall wart (of which I have a few lying around already from old decoders I stripped for parts)

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I own them. What part about month by month don't you grasp?
Why are you trying to argue with me?

What do you own? I've been pretty clear with what I've said. Maybe you don't understand.

neoprema

Expert Member
sometimes you just can't reach something on the top shelf, and need a few extra cm height to step up onto...

MirageF1

Expert Member
Oh. A troll. Now that's original. Good luck with that
No merely someone original and infinitely more intelligent than you.

Your handle looks computer generated... your'e clearly a bot attempting ( dismally) to interact. :thumbsup:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
No merely someone original and infinitely more intelligent than you.

Your handle looks computer generated... your'e clearly a bot attempting ( dismally) to interact.
Good chatting with you

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I have an old 4 tuner HD PVR, the "newer" hd pvr and an Explora 1. I tried giving them away for free and no one wanted them. So I took them down the the range on the farm and had some fun.

Speedster

Executive Member
I have an old 4 tuner HD PVR, the "newer" hd pvr and an Explora 1. I tried giving them away for free and no one wanted them. So I took them down the the range on the farm and had some fun.
Open them up and see if, by some luck, you managed to miss the hard drives