Upcoming Cell C Promo?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi AM

As a loyal CellC user, I have also been following developments with a keen interest. If I understand your statements correctly, these "specials" will only be announced in May? Many of the stores (e.g. Makro) have CellC brochures valid till end of March. Does this mean that there will be no specials in the month of April?

Good Day RVD

I don't know where they will be launch.
But yes every month month is a new CellC brochures,
Depends what specials you want but so far there are now new ones in terms of Recharge and data etc....
Remember promos like the Recharge and data etc.. are not always advertised in the mag.
So we can launch when ever.

Regards
~AM~

missionimpossible

Hi All

There will be great promos in the next up coming month.
Alan has finally started as of Monday morning.
I have been in a few discussions of upcoming promos,
I can assure you Alan approach to Customer input is valued high.
Had a big meeting with all of the social media department,
And trust me he is very interested in customer input.

Regards
~AM~

Let's hope you have a similar promo like last year (2gb per month for 12 months at R1499)
mine is due to expire in a week's time and I'm considering moving to 8ta.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
hopefully some 5gig a month data promos again :)
nope.
iburst and 8ta have already done that so what we need is something that's going to blow those 2 out of the water even if the promotion is just for 1 week.

go all out and offer 10gigs for R199 plus an additional 10gigs for R50 for night surfing (11-5)

If daytime data at rock bottom prices are unsustainable at least give us more midnight data lower than any of the competitors.

I for one would not mind because data is data, doesn't matter what time you get ,as long as its cheap.

Tygga

Hi All

There will be great promos in the next up coming month.
Alan has finally started as of Monday morning.
I have been in a few discussions of upcoming promos,
I can assure you Alan approach to Customer input is valued high.
Had a big meeting with all of the social media department,
And trust me he is very interested in customer input.

Regards
~AM~

Hi Cell_C,

First of all, thank you so much for responding to my post!

Now you've just made me even more keen to find out what's coming after the old Woza promo, hopefully it won't disappoint as I'm expecting it to. I'm eagerly waiting now to see what Mr Craig-Knott has up his sleeve.

Jakes147

Expert Member
Urgent message from AKC to Cell_C

Put down your coffee and go down to the people that order the phone supplies and tell them to pre-order the Galaxy S3. Then walk over to the marketing people and tell them that they must spend the next 3-4 months thinking of creative contracts to bring to the market with the launch of the S3........

sajunky

Honorary Master
I agree with Jakes47. Smartphone is the market place where Cell C can get premium customers on new contracts. Remember that without HSPA+ rollout it would be a joke. Now it comes to reality. I am sure it will be this direction.

rph72

Executive Member
Forget the 2/5GB packages. We need larger bundles.

RVD

Thanks for responding Cell_C.
+2 for Jakes47 and sajunky. The smartphone market (based on Android activations) is continuing to explode! If you are able to provide innovative deals for both the high end (Galaxy S2, S3, etc) and lower end (Galaxy Ace, Y, etc) AND have stock of these phones, you will attract many new subscribers.

Tun@

Expert Member
New Cell C Data deals? Maybe they like to do some fixing 1st?

RSSI -67dBm Cell ID 30292
Cellc8042012.JPG

Vrs 8ta

8ta8042012.JPG

8ta on the same Cell C speedtest server

8tacellcserver.JPG

Last edited:

battletoad

Expert Member
Just realised I spend at least R250 on prepaid every month, usally about R350.

As great as the R50 promo was and with Cell C changing the industry over the last 2 years, if this new promo is not up to standard I'm kissing Cell C goodbye and getting a contract.

Question now is, which to choose of N9, Lumia 800/900 or whichever cool Android coming out shortly....?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Dear Cell C Rep:

An uncapped data orientated service is really the way to get people on board.

MTN's Uncapped Lite is what you should be looking to rectify:
1) A 24 month contract is a no no - prepaid and month to month options are a must
2) The drop down speed is a problem because instead of representing the minimum guaranteed speed it represents your new maximum speed if you dare exceed the rather paultry 3gig monthly limit and the calculation period is to long.
3) The product is essentially tailored to one device connecting at a time (I suspect you can wrangle using dual sim but have no idea how the 256k link will be split) but it isn't built into the thinking.

The "sustainability" of internet products is largely subject to network effects. Currently mobile operators (not exclusively in South Africa) are suggesting that uncapped is unsustainable despite Telkom's similar assertions about uncapped ADSL offerings having been decisively destroyed. It certainly is not possible to have a large number of "true" uncapped data users glugging out the existing network; but networks are evolving and data high usage customers can get major value in ADSL options. More importantly the industry has an entire basket of tools to make high usage possible with Femtocells being the grand solution. Now if uncapped ADSL users are equipped (or equip themselves) with Femtocell access points in their homes the dimension changes, suddenly clugging over 3G or LTE doesn't mean killing the other last mile access systems. The ADSL back haul becomes a problem but ICASA didn't really get LLU right so that's going to be a problem regardless.

When I have access to ADSL my Nokia e63 is happy to trudge on R59 for close to four months with the 85 megs data I buy (a R49 75 meg package topped up with a R10 10 meg data bundle when I get the SMS telling me that the unused data will expire in whatever hours unless I add more data) and I really do not feel constrained: push email, heavy mobile browsing, google maps and it is all good. However without ADSL I don't even need to consider hooking up my laptop through the phone to see the usage on my phone go up drastically. Now the e63 isn't exactly a data intensive device but the principle is the same. If we can push a lot of data over fixed networks we can offer uncapped mobile. It isn't accounts or devices but users that matter.

If we look at the Blackberry usage saga it becomes clear that most users get no where near value for money and you can draw inferences that rather than getting themselves into all sorts of obscurities Vodacom should just identify the teenagers who are "abusing" the system and give them uncapped ADSL find the source of the hack and offer the person a job (if they have mastered the system) or a jail sentence (if it is some form of inside job and fraud).

An Internet Power User Mobility package thus would really be an interesting and enticing concept:

Multiple SIM cards onto one data usage account which is treated as a single uncapped account (single user) subject to a rolling usage structure that is similar to IS's system on ADSL. The system should take cognizance of your daily, weekly and monthly usage as well as factors such as how congested the network was at the time of usage and create some sort of point system. Instead of gimmicks as rewards on voice calls give me back data credit. In order to sign up for the package you need an uncapped ADSL account (from any provider) [of course data usage from your HNB is the "cheapest"]. Devices (each with its own SIM) can be customized for usage "rules" for example a dongle can be set to use the network on lowest priority - to download things like Linux distributions - and plugged into a spare PC. The core of the product is that the user is a power user and knows what they want with their devices. An online interface to tell the network to "cap" my smartphone at 100megs a day is my choice.

In the end I want to have a cellular service that complements me in access to data for a fixed - low - monthly fee. A fixed term contract shouldn't be necessary because the product works and if you only give the replacement to bonus gimmicks three months after they accrue you have a hook in any event.

Basically a person would use the same account for their smartphone and their tablet and a USB dongle and and and ... Because the users being targeted already have uncapped/high usage ADSL services their total demand on the cellular network is not consistently high. However a ton of benefits accrue - a backup against ADSL failure - frequently tied to electricity-, mobility and coolness factor.

When the user is away from home they have a proper mobile solution which means they needn't abandon YouTube and all the other things that make data disappear. When they are at home the network has free space and the lower priority devices (and users who are in the sin bin for usage) get all happy.

Quite honestly an entry of R200 per month would cover the provider for a home entry user (per user) (so you can squeeze out about 10Gigs a month if you use highly off peak and what not and 2Gigs if you clug it) but enterprise users could easily sign up 500 odd user accounts and it becomes viable for the provider to install Microcell and Picocell infrastructure. Consider the smallest (I think) and best (I know :D) public University and presume that about a tenth of students and staff take up the product you are looking at over 200k a month which you can invest into building closer access, and not all the students will have any call to "hog" the product. Of course users who want more "points" - and therefore more usage before deprioritizing - can pay a larger monthly fee. The product can also be sold to households who pay R200 per member but pool points - so users can get the add on accounts for their parents to have more data access themselves. Ultimately the great effects of networks carry things over.

Such a product would kill this unlimited smartphone nonsense, make real smartphones an alternative to the Blackberry and generally rock.

Paul
-----
If CellC - or any other network licence holder, FNB could really add to their already monstrous iPAD hold as a Virtual Network - implements this product - Kindly send me a lifetime subscription in consideration for the concept :D, with an iPad preferably. A cushy job would also not be bad ...

disiza

Screw Promotion, open your eyes gentlemen.

seems the ADSL Choice is the way to go, 3G is becoming redundant.

Afrihost Gold ADSL 50GB R399.00
Cell C 3G 3GB R400.00

I cannot justify the cost anymore,nice one Afrihost!

Budza

Executive Member
Line rental (x2 :sick:) included?

It's now the 19th. Need some news.

For a start, allow the prepaid data bundles to be loaded on a contract SIM. Why must us poor bastards that are locked in always get the worst deals? :(

ajax

Executive Member
Screw Promotion, open your eyes gentlemen.
seems the ADSL Choice is the way to go, 3G is becoming redundant.
Afrihost Gold ADSL 50GB R399.00
Cell C 3G 3GB R400.00
I cannot justify the cost anymore,nice one Afrihost!

With Cell C (and other mobiles) every cent you spend goes towards sending/receiving bytes. With ADSL you are already out of pocket by several hundred Rands before sending/receiving a single byte.

disiza

No it is not, bandwidth is the comparison here, even if you include the line rental.......... do the maths

Line rental (x2 :sick:) included?

It's now the 19th. Need some news.

For a start, allow the prepaid data bundles to be loaded on a contract SIM. Why must us poor bastards that are locked in always get the worst deals? :(

Budza

Executive Member
I've done my maths. 100GB+ on ADSL for <R600/m.

3G cannot compete when you need more than 20GB/m.

Internet on the go, or as a temporary replacement, yes 3G can work.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
All depends what your usage is, for an average joe internet and email 5GB is enough.. This whole uncapped thing is a waste unless you q up constant downloads. I would rather have fast bandwidth unshaped and capped.

disiza

Dude, if you are 3G user you are being ripped a new one,personally it is absolutely disgrace, shocking and more importantly at this moment in time I'm not proud to be a South Africa - the telecommunication industries know we will take it lying down.It is daylight robbery. NOT COOL

All depends what your usage is, for an average joe internet and email 5GB is enough.. This whole uncapped thing is a waste unless you q up constant downloads. I would rather have fast bandwidth unshaped and capped.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
Disiza, I fully agree SA is far behind.

But for example if someone doesn't have a phone line, a prepaid 3G modem is cheaper than paying telephone plus ADSL line rental before you even purchase bandwidth