UPDATE: Fibre in Glenwood, Berea and Bulwer (Durban)

Vorastra

Executive Member
so the contractor came to check/repair my Termination point this morning. Turns out it was fine, the entire building isnt connected in the manhole on the street, "oops they forgot" , but they are working on it now, so hopefully last issue. Thought I would mention here in case others have an issue, ask them to check the manhole.
Holy sht the incompetence.

laughing-cat-compressed-scale-4_00x.jpg

KillerOnDrugX

so the contractor came to check/repair my Termination point this morning. Turns out it was fine, the entire building isnt connected in the manhole on the street, "oops they forgot" , but they are working on it now, so hopefully last issue. Thought I would mention here in case others have an issue, ask them to check the manhole.
More and more reasons for me to wait for Openserve :ROFL:

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
MFN should have this issue resolved now, honestly no idea what went wrong but it was the most back and forth we have seen.
Here is to hoping we can get you active and live today/night.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Plus (psst) we are extending our Openserve Free installation and Activation deal. But sadly Openserve will take quite a while to get to the other parts of the area like lower Glenwood, Umbilo and surrounds.
When you say quite a while, we talking years?
I mean MFN started work in Feb and only finished in July.

KillerOnDrugX

Openserve said their ETA was December though I'm not sure how much of the area they're planning to do etc.. and their map doesn't seem to help much

KillerOnDrugX

Plus (psst) we are extending our Openserve Free installation and Activation deal. But sadly Openserve will take quite a while to get to the other parts of the area like lower Glenwood, Umbilo and surrounds.
Deal is extended until when?

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Deal is extended until when?
31st December 2021.
It really depends on the area, I expect only the Glenwood/Bulwer main area will be covered by December.
Openserve said their ETA was December though I'm not sure how much of the area they're planning to do etc.. and their map doesn't seem to help much
They update their map every 2-3 days now which is a good thing, but it is still lagging behind the actual build as we have a client live in a "in-build" area. We are still awaiting a project plan for the area so we can start getting actual details such as a planned date and such.

KillerOnDrugX

31st December 2021.

It really depends on the area, I expect only the Glenwood/Bulwer main area will be covered by December.

They update their map every 2-3 days now which is a good thing, but it is still lagging behind the actual build as we have a client live in a "in-build" area. We are still awaiting a project plan for the area so we can start getting actual details such as a planned date and such.
Awesome. I'm looking forward to December and Openserve as I would prefer their prices and speeds plus overall service

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Speaking to the techs and trying to get to the bottom, but tracking the logs and only our MFN clients going down at around 22:00 on the dot. Smells like there hasn't been a battery/backup system setup yet at the main exchange for the area.

Openserve and Lightstruck are still up in the area.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Speaking to the techs and trying to get to the bottom, but tracking the logs and only our MFN clients going down at around 22:00 on the dot. Smells like there hasn't been a battery/backup system setup yet at the main exchange for the area.

Went down at 21:55 for me.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Where's the exchange because my power is still on?

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Where's the exchange because my power is still on?
Sure your watch isn't fast, as after fiddling for about 5 mins, I looked at the time which was 22:05. Maybe I was fiddling for 10 minutes I don't know.
No they are correct, most of our clients all dropped at 21:55, but that has been the case with loadshedding, we only suspect it is loadshedding which seems to go off around +- 5 minutes, before or after. Still waiting for a reply about the issue so we know exactly what it is.

All our clients actually have power (besides a handful) and have dropped.

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
No they are correct, most of our clients all dropped at 21:55, but that has been the case with loadshedding, seems to go off around +- 5 minutes, before or after. Still waiting for a reply about the issue so we know exactly what it is.

All our clients actually have power (besides a handful) and have dropped.
Which area doesn't have power?