UPDATE: Fibre in Glenwood, Berea and Bulwer (Durban)

Vorastra

Expert Member
I tried getting fibre into Umbilo (emailing a bunch of fibre providers) since we lost ADSL in our area...
I've just given up now. Literally no one wants or cares to roll out.
We have shetloads of people here on LTE now after ADSL was removed. So there's clearly interest in internet connectivity...

Reactions: Yuu

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I have tried for years to get interest in my area. Openserve stops literally 100m from my end of my Suburb. I just happen to fall at the outer edge which uses the New Germany exchange... I can't understand why Telkom / Openserve dont use overhead FTTH cabling, just replacing the old copper? No digging trenches, just simple replace.

As for Vuma, I got a mail back last week, no plans at all to expand / extend. They are only maintaining current fiber setups.

Getting a hold of anyone in Openserve is pretty much like Telkom...forget it. Vodacom will only pursue business lines. FTTH sux.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
I tried getting fibre into Umbilo (emailing a bunch of fibre providers) since we lost ADSL in our area...
I've just given up now. Literally no one wants or cares to roll out.
We have shetloads of people here on LTE now after ADSL was removed. So there's clearly interest in internet connectivity...
with you buddy, also in Umbilo... and honestly wish fibre was here.. R500 on an 80gig package is crap..

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
oh my gosh... thats terrible.. At least you have adsl correct??
No ADSL.... My house was to far from the exchange, syncing at 4mb at best. I used to have ADSL. But ja, terrible speeds and monkeys breaking lines every 2nd month...

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
No ADSL.... My house was to far from the exchange, syncing at 4mb at best. I used to have ADSL. But ja, terrible speeds and monkeys breaking lines every 2nd month...
Which side of umbilo are you??

my mother is down the road near the park.. and she has afrihost MTN and shes getting damn good speeds.. but their uncapped packages are ridiculous..
she has 100gig and 100gig
also had ADSL but stolen lines

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Which side of umbilo are you??

my mother is down the road near the park.. and she has afrihost MTN and shes getting damn good speeds.. but their uncapped packages are ridiculous..
she has 100gig and 100gig
also had ADSL but stolen lines
Far away from Umbilo ... unfortunately in Crimetown

ghostRgg

Man this fibre roll out thing is a pain in the ass honestly...

i honestly think fibre should be frikken mandatory these days..

edit: @ghostRgg i have been sharing your FB pages like mad too..
So I have an update for the people of Umbilo and the rest of Glenwood.

We have been working around the clock, and when I mean we its ghostfibre. Which is a company I opened to bring fibre to our area and areas which have been overlooked from FNO's and ISPs.

Umbilo: While we would love to get fibre on the ground there, it sadly isn't going to be a priority since during our initial interest look, backhaul and previous FNO scouting. The area only has a few people who are adamant on FTTH, numbers around 10-25. So we are looking at getting real quality wireless out to them, which we have tested to be around 8ms to Teraco Durban. We are still securing links so I can't say much but you should (emphasis on should) expect a good 50/50 wireless connection for no more than R1000pm.

Glenwood/Bulwer: This area has a large portion of interest shown, backhauls are right around the corner and we are working to bring FTTH to the area. Still planning the actual routes, ISP side and FNO side. But I'm posting the details here for the first time because we are slowly progressing towards making it a reality. I have a bunch of meeting scheduled for the next week to discuss rollouts, building and all of the fun stuff. When I have a clear update on the situation I will happily inform those who signed up via our website and the forum.

Holding thumbs with the whole situation.

Vorastra

Expert Member
@ReeceDBN031
It pains me...

I'm looking at the DFA coverage map.

350m away from fibre...

You said your mom was there by the park? Stella park or Umbilo park, because both have fibre right there.

cobusv

Judging from the picture, that's pretty thin cable though... Generally* backhaul fibre cables are about the thickness of a hosepipe, perhaps a touch thicker.. Anything thinner 'might' be last mile of some sort.
its not a cable, it's a 2-way duct, 2 tubes in there. can push 2 x 144 microfibre thru that

cobusv

Ask one of the people installing which company they are installing the fibre for. I know Link Africa uses Purple Ducting (piping) Openserve uses green, there was another company that uses yellow I haven't figured out which ones. I haven't seen white personally, there has been fibre installed various times along the main road of m neighborhood over the years and I've still don't have home fibre coverage.

So don't get your hopes up too much, unless there's massive trenching on the arterial roads.
its hard to really distinguish the colours of the ducts and tie that to a FNO. while general rule of thumb is correct in your statement but not reliable info, as DFA for example also uses a purple duct, but the same goes for pink blue green yellow.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Umbilo: While we would love to get fibre on the ground there, it sadly isn't going to be a priority since during our initial interest look, backhaul and previous FNO scouting. The area only has a few people who are adamant on FTTH, numbers around 10-25. So we are looking at getting real quality wireless out to them, which we have tested to be around 8ms to Teraco Durban. We are still securing links so I can't say much but you should (emphasis on should) expect a good 50/50 wireless connection for no more than R1000pm.
I live in Umbilo, literally no one has come to me to ask...? Who are these 10-25, and where are they?
We are talking about Umbilo Umbilo right? Because there's Umbilo and Umbilo Industrial.

DFA seems to have fibre 350m from me, and I can tell you now, a lot of people on my road will want fibre.

Last edited:

ghostfibre

I live in Umbilo, literally no one has come to me to ask...? Who are these 10-25, and where are they?
We are talking about Umbilo Umbilo right? Because there's Umbilo and Umbilo Industrial.

DFA seems to have fibre 350m from me, and I can tell you now, a lot of people on my road will want fibre.
The numbers that were mentioned regarding people showing interest were via our website and contacting us. We have run a few Facebook adverts, somebody also posted in the Umbilo Facebook group and some advertising nothing major. These are in no way exact numbers or all the numbers of the area.

We weren't going to look around Umbilo till we finished our projects in Glenwood, so we are hoping more people show interest by the time we run actual campaigns in the area. For reference are you talking about this in green?

Umbilo 2020-07-02 212834.png

We have already added a section for it on our internal maps and coverage planner. So if people showed interest, it will be put under the Umbilo section and we can slowly work on gauging more interest and even moving forward with trying to get fibre in the area.

Vorastra

Expert Member
The numbers that were mentioned regarding people showing interest were via our website and contacting us. We have run a few Facebook adverts, somebody also posted in the Umbilo Facebook group and some advertising nothing major. These are in no way exact numbers or all the numbers of the area.

We weren't going to look around Umbilo till we finished our projects in Glenwood, so we are hoping more people show interest by the time we run actual campaigns in the area. For reference are you talking about this in green?

View attachment 869047

We have already added a section for it on our internal maps and coverage planner. So if people showed interest, it will be put under the Umbilo section and we can slowly work on gauging more interest and even moving forward with trying to get fibre in the area.
Honestly, barely anyone I know in Umbilo has even heard of you guys. No one on my street at least. It would honestly be WAY more effective if you guys just printed a bunch of flyers and put them in people's postboxes.

I'm extremely interested in getting fibre into the area, and today was literally the first time I found out about you guys...

Yes I'm talking about that green area. Today I learned Umbilo goes all the way around the cemetery to the West and all the way up to Penzance....

ghostfibre

Honestly, barely anyone I know in Umbilo has even heard of you guys. No one on my street at least. It would honestly be WAY more effective if you guys just printed a bunch of flyers and put them in people's postboxes.

I'm extremely interested in getting fibre into the area, and today was literally the first time I found out about you guys...

Yes I'm talking about that green area. Today I learned Umbilo goes all the way around the cemetery to the West and all the way up to Penzance.
We fully understand and that would be our next approach to the area. We are relatively new but have been pushing for FTTH for these areas for a while now, mostly from January 2020. But as I mentioned we aren't focused on the Umbilo area, but welcome people to show that there is enough interest. I don't think we even did a Facebook advert for Umbilo, but some people have posted on those groups for us.

Once we get enough interest we can have a look at getting fibre to the area and see if any FNO's want to take it up and whatnot. If we do decide to make a push from Umbilo, we will be doing flyer drops as well.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
So I have an update for the people of Umbilo and the rest of Glenwood.

We have been working around the clock, and when I mean we its ghostfibre. Which is a company I opened to bring fibre to our area and areas which have been overlooked from FNO's and ISPs.

Glenwood/Bulwer: This area has a large portion of interest shown, backhauls are right around the corner and we are working to bring FTTH to the area. Still planning the actual routes, ISP side and FNO side. But I'm posting the details here for the first time because we are slowly progressing towards making it a reality. I have a bunch of meeting scheduled for the next week to discuss rollouts, building and all of the fun stuff. When I have a clear update on the situation I will happily inform those who signed up via our website and the forum.

Holding thumbs with the whole situation.
When will this come to us then?
also is it true uncapped...

could you maybe give more details for now please?