[Updated once] Eskom implementing four different levels of load-shedding this weekend - also an 11-hour break

How much was on maintenance when unplanned was at 16GW? Probably 3 or 4GW or something I would guess. Now they added another 3GW.

I think they move those 2 numbers around to suite them but always add up to 20+GW. About half of the installed coal capacity.

It's been like this for years.
Maintenance dropped to 3GW or so I think.

Higher maintenance and lower unplanned is a great scenario though. The lower that unplanned falls the better.

The black line was where coal generation was during winter:
View attachment 1627175
Yeah cause maintenance was 3% lower, unplanned outages was sitting at 33 to 34% which was better then May's 37%.
So maintenance would've been around 3300MW to 4400MW vs the 6000MW, the unplanned outages would have been 15GW to 16GW, so yeah coal would be around 19.
Sep and Oct it was 21GW

Hang in there lads. The miners go on Christmas holidays soon, this should give us back around 8000 MW of power back into our grid if I remember correctly
As well as the steel factories, iirc

How much was on maintenance when unplanned was at 16GW? Probably 3 or 4GW or something I would guess. Now they added another 3GW.

I think they move those 2 numbers around to suite them but always add up to 20+GW. About half of the installed coal capacity.

It's been like this for years.
A year, previously our unplanned hardly ever went over 13, then 2021 it was hardly over 11 and 2020 it was under 10 quite a bit.
From about September last year its been ridiculously high

Hang in there lads. The miners go on Christmas holidays soon, this should give us back around 8000 MW of power back into our grid if I remember correctly
Nope, demand, even on Xmas, is about 20GW still. December it hovers around 23GW, 2020 think the 24th was about 18GW

Higher maintenance and lower unplanned is a great scenario though. The lower that unplanned falls the better.
Yeah ideally we want that back to 10 or under, if it does that would be 2020 numbers

A year, previously our unplanned hardly ever went over 13, then 2021 it was hardly over 11 and 2020 it was under 10 quite a bit.
From about September last year its been ridiculously high
And Kusile was offline. My point being is that 10GW is always offline for years and years and years. Solve the 10GW and loadshitting goes away forever or until the population doubles again.

My point being that it doesn't matter which group the offline power falls under, just look at the total number.

Nope more like 2011 when we were able to produce 37GW
Didn't we run out of power in 2007 as predicted? Not from breakdowns but from economic success.

The year that had the lowest EAF. Lets go with that one. How can we run out in 2007 but generate more in 2011?

Nope, demand, even on Xmas, is about 20GW still. December it hovers around 23GW, 2020 think the 24th was about 18GW
Holy Moly that is a big number when you consider that about 10 million people have returned to their homelands and the other 20 000 Europeans are away from home camping over the festive season in campsites that are off grid. Are you sure your numbers are correct?

Didn't we run out of power in 2007 as predicted? Not from breakdowns but from economic success.

The year that had the lowest EAF. Lets go with that one. How can we run out in 2007 but generate more in 2011?
I have no idea :) just in 2011 we covered the 37GW winter without a hiccup

Back