Upgrade firmware on "Jailbrokened" Iphone

Wag

Expert Member
I gave my old "jailbrokened" 3G Iphone to my daughter and somebody at her work tried to upgrade the firmware with Itunes (I think). The phone is still working except when I connect it to the pc, Itunes appear on the screen and then a message "tunes has stopped working" follows and itunes close itself. Need advice on what to do? Not sure if jailbrokened is the correct terminology

vyking_sa

You will need to follow this link http://spiritjb.com/ and download the spirit jailbreak.

It is the easiest jailbreak on the market, but it cannot unlock your carrier e.g if you are with Vodacom it is not a problem (Cell-C and MTN might be a problem depending on the version of the baseband it has upgraded to).

Hope this helps

Wag

Expert Member
You will need to follow this link http://spiritjb.com/ and download the spirit jailbreak.

It is the easiest jailbreak on the market, but it cannot unlock your carrier e.g if you are with Vodacom it is not a problem (Cell-C and MTN might be a problem depending on the version of the baseband it has upgraded to).

Hope this helps

Thanx, will try it tonight

Wag

Expert Member
Viking, no luck. The Phone have version 3.0.1 installed and Spirit need 3.1 and higher. Any other suggestions? Keep in mind I cannot use Itunes. Will be much appreciated

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Download the latest iTunes. Download the latest firmware (heck, you can download 4.0 already!) and jailbreak.

Wag

Expert Member
Download the latest iTunes. Download the latest firmware (heck, you can download 4.0 already!) and jailbreak.

My problem is when I connect the phone to a pc itunes appear and then a window "itunes stopped working" come up and itunes closes down. Is there a way to jailbreak or restore without itunes.

Wag

Expert Member
Yip 9.1.1.12, already tried it on 3 different pc's and all the same while my 3gs have no problem connecting, and thanx for trying to help

Glock26

Expert Member
I can't see being on MTN being a problem?
If I update to the latest iTunes and latest firmware, am I going to have problems using it on MTN? Anyone have any info on that?

G26

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
No. Maybe you should put the iPhone into DFU mode. Also, don't update if you need a carrier Unlock. But if you only need a jailbreak, it should be fine.

Wag

Expert Member
Synaesthesia, thanks for the help. Will try your suggestion and if not successful I will take it to the moneypeople to do the necessary.

vyking_sa

You should maybe try redsnow (Google it) if you have a PC. Not sure it it works with a Mac.
It is a bit more complicated than spirit but it works. It worked perfectly on my first iPhone (2G)
Make sure you have read the post thoroughly before proceeding.

Wag

Expert Member
Vyking

Thanx after a long en innige frustration I got it right