• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Upgrade from LTE to LTE-A

Maverick154

Hey guys.

Has anyone upgraded their wireless uncapped 1/2/3 contract to the LTE-A version of it? I got a call to upgrade mine and have the option to go to LTE-A with the contract remaining the same otherwise.

Questions I have, did the contract remain the same but the speed just improve? And did your connection improve by upgrading? Also, how is the new B618 router vs the old one for LTE?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hey guys.

Has anyone upgraded their wireless uncapped 1/2/3 contract to the LTE-A version of it? I got a call to upgrade mine and have the option to go to LTE-A with the contract remaining the same otherwise.

Questions I have, did the contract remain the same but the speed just improve? And did your connection improve by upgrading? Also, how is the new B618 router vs the old one for LTE?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
You should see a speed increase especially if you are in a lte-a covered area . The lte a upgrade us R50 or R60 more a month I think which saves you a R2799 once off fee if you wanted to do it and keep on m2m. Obviously the upgrade comes as a bew 24 months commitment.

Maverick154

You should see a speed increase especially if you are in a lte-a covered area . The lte a upgrade us R50 or R60 more a month I think which saves you a R2799 once off fee if you wanted to do it and keep on m2m. Obviously the upgrade comes as a bew 24 months commitment.
Yeah the sale person said as much to me and I am in an area that is covered. But just wondering how it compares to LTE for people who did the upgrade.

BaronBuffoon

Executive Member
Cavedog said:
Are you saying that I cannot simply buy a B618 65d and expect a speed boost, but have to pay Telkom R50-R60 extra?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Are you saying that I cannot simply buy a B618 65d and expect a speed boost, but have to pay Telkom R50-R60 extra?
Nope when I was saying saves you a R2799 once off fee I was referring to the B618 router's cash price which is R2799. Currently it's the only router available locally that supports Telkom's LTE-A network and you guessed it it's only available at Telkom stores @ R2799 cash.

R2799 might be a bit expensive for some people so a R50-R60 addon to your contract when you upgrade it they will give the device to you as part of the upgrade.

BaronBuffoon

Executive Member
Nope when I was saying saves you a R2799 once off fee I was referring to the B618 router's cash price which is R2799. Currently it's the only router available locally that supports Telkom's LTE-A network and you guessed it it's only available at Telkom stores @ R2799 cash.

R2799 might be a bit expensive for some people so a R50-R60 addon to your contract when you upgrade it they will give the device to you as part of the upgrade.
Thank you for clearing that up.

powermzii

Expert Member
Upgraded this week to LTE-A as there is no sign of Fibre in my area, previous speedtest (on Huawei B593) got me approx 5Mbps and now the B618 in the same spot is getting me 20Mbps. Only setup the router yesterday and haven't had a chance to play further but i'm hoping this speed increase doesn't degrade

cavedog

Honorary Master
Upgraded this week to LTE-A as there is no sign of Fibre in my area, previous speedtest (on Huawei B593) got me approx 5Mbps and now the B618 in the same spot is getting me 20Mbps. Only setup the router yesterday and haven't had a chance to play further but i'm hoping this speed increase doesn't degrade
Make sure you set it to 2300MHz 4G only mode or you might find you are still stuck on LTE not LTE-Advanced. It can easily be changed in the settings > dialup > network settings > Preferred mode

Last edited:

bear101

Make sure you set it to 2300MHz 4G only mode or you might find you are still stuck on LTE not LTE-Advanced. It can easily be changed in the settings > dialup > network settings > Preferred mode
Sorry Im going to ask a noob question here,

Im currently gone to Month to Month (@R529 now) on my Telkom LTE Uncapped contract,

Before I do anything I just want to clarify, because I did call Telkom and these morons want to renew my contract to R799 and give me another B315 Router, I did ask the agent can I get the B618 router and do I pay an additional fee, clearly she did not understand me.

Question is if i stick on month to month and buy a B618-65D router cash which I don't mind doing,

And set it up to my XPOL-6-10M Antenna with the TS9 - SMA pigtails , and if the area has LTE-A should I expect much higher speeds without upgrading my contract? or do I need a specific LTE-A contract?

My current download speeds drops between 5mb - 15mb - this is with my current B315 router setup with the XPOL-6-10M Antenna.

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Rather stay on month to month and pay R529.. Buy the router b618s-65d for R2800 or check Gumtree if anyone selling. You will receive lte advanced speeds provided u have lte-a coverage.. I tested it and you will a difference in speed.

bear101

Rather stay on month to month and pay R529.. Buy the router b618s-65d for R2800 or check Gumtree if anyone selling. You will receive lte advanced speeds provided u have lte-a coverage.. I tested it and you will a difference in speed.
Thank you for the response, I will check around for the B618-65D router.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thank you for the response, I will check around for the B618-65D router.
You are better off staying on month to month and buying the router cash. Settling for a R529 to R799+R60 p/m "upgrade" won't be much saving at all and after only 9 months you would be equal and the remaining 15 months you will lose R330 a month then.

bear101

You are better off staying on month to month and buying the router cash. Settling for a R529 to R799+R60 p/m "upgrade" won't be much saving at all and after only 9 months you would be equal and the remaining 15 months you will lose R330 a month then.
I totally agree, thank you for your advise

So my friend managed to bring his B618-65d tonite and I connected it to the antennas, he brought his pigtail connectors also,

We first did a speed test on my B315 and still getting 5 and 6mb download,

We connected his router and speeds jumped to 40mb download,

switched back to my router and back to 5mb

switched back to his router jumped to between 35 - 40mb,

Clearly the router made a big difference.

rodga

Executive Member
I totally agree, thank you for your advise

So my friend managed to bring his B618-65d tonite and I connected it to the antennas, he brought his pigtail connectors also,

We first did a speed test on my B315 and still getting 5 and 6mb download,

We connected his router and speeds jumped to 40mb download,

switched back to my router and back to 5mb

switched back to his router jumped to between 35 - 40mb,

Clearly the router made a big difference.
Same sim tested in both routers?

powermzii

Expert Member
Sweet thank you. Back home tomorrow so will make the change and report

bear101

So does anybody know, which retailer sells the B618-65D router other thanTelkom

Last edited: