Upgraded to gigabit switches, but only getting 100mb of speeds

From the ONT it goes to

then from there it goes to the

from where it is splitting off to two other switches, two Uniquify APs, printer and PBX\VOIP System

The other two switches

From where I am taking VOIP phones through the office that needs poe

and then the other switch

from where I am running a few other network devices and another Uniquify AP

From the ONT it goes to

then from there it goes to the

from where it is splitting off to two other switches, two Uniquify APs, printer and PBX\VOIP System

The other two switches

From where I am taking VOIP phones through the office that needs poe

and then the other switch

from where I am running a few other network devices and another Uniquify AP

What colour are the lights on the ports of the router and all the switches?

Cable quality plays a role. I bought a cat6 cable but could not get higher than 100Mbps. Turns out the 30m once it has a small kink the losses made it drop to 100Mbps.

I cut the cable open to see what is going on. The thinnest cable I have ever seen. I can even snap the cables with my hands easily. That black cable you have looks like the same cable I had issues with.

First step is conforming gigabit coming out of your ONT\router with a single directly connected PC. If that test passes, the issue is entirely with your own internal network.

Cheap way to test cable quality: Use two cheap gigabit switches. connect together with a small patch lead - and watch the gigabit light, light up. Then repeat for all your actual links to see which fails to light up gigabit. Could be china mall cable, interference, bad terminations, semi corroded jacks etc

If you isolate the problem to one particular longish cable, replace that segment with CAT6 for the least headache way to solve the issue.

Guys, he didn't state which switches he had, cheap 8 port gigabit Tenda switches just has green LEDs, no other colour LEDs for different link speeds.

Everything is green

Then I’m inclined to blame your cable.

I had to replace about 50m of cable when I underwent a similar exercise (ie upgrade of network hardware). The older hardware was more forgiving of the old cable which had hidden kinks.

Edit: fortunately cable is cheap - just replace with good cat6 and be done with it

An update,

Went through every single cable, traced its route, then plugged out everything and started again. The Llong and the short of it, by accident I figured out, other than the 3 Uniquify APs we still had a previous D-Link wifi router connected as an AP from before we got the Uniquifys, when I plug this router out I get my 200mb speed.

Also as stated the after the Voip phones we only get 100mb, but the majority of the devices in the office connect through Wifi and the APs are connected directly into the switches.

Thank guys and gals.

Back