• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Upgraded to Telkom 4mb

Hi

I upgraded from a 2mb line to a 4mb a few months ago. The 4mb line reflecting on my monthly bill and all, but I feel that my download speeds are still too low and basically the same as it was on 2mb.

My speedtest result is 1.98mb download and 0.46 upload. A firefox download only ever maxes out at 270kbs but usually only 250kbs for example..

If I go into 10.0.0.2 the downstream rate is 2290kbps and upstream 509kbps.

My question is what do you guys get that's on a 4mb adsl telkom line and if the above numbers are not correct for a 4mb line should I phone them for a line reset on their side or ?

Thank you for your time.

simm_card

Expert Member
This is my 4mbps line stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5120 kbps 512 kbps
Line Attenuation 19.5 db 12.0 db
Noise Margin 27.9 db 25.0 db

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Woah that's heavy. Can you explain please?

I just did the adsl line checker on my exact address and its says I'm covered for up to 10mbps VDSL, lte-a and lte , 3g ??

I used this link
https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/ucm/
There's too much noise on your line. The max achievable sync is 2.6mbps,and you won't be stable on that.
You're either too far from the exchange or your copper is bad quality.

You could try ordering a new line, see if the quality in that is better, then canceling the old one if it is...

Last edited:

BTTB

That map says ADSL coming soon for me.... I've been on ADSL for years now.
I found that the coverage map on Telkom's website to be inaccurate in my case with possible address issues, even the Telkom Sales people had difficulty determining what speeds are applicable for my address.
Whereas the Openserve portal where you enter your DSL phone line number to be on the money in regards to what products are actually available.

Found the Telkom Sales 10213 to be contradicting as to what speeds were available for our area, some claiming there wasn't even ADSL yet, or just 4Mb. Only one lady out of around 10 people I spoke to actually gave me the right speeds for my location address and upgraded me from 10Mb to 20Mb.

The Openserve portal gave this message, which seems to be the most accurate and did not have me holding on the line, giving out my details for the umpteenth time over the phone.

Your area is currently not enabled for the Super-Fast Broadband.
However, it is possible for you to order broadband services up to 20Mbps right now.
Please register your interest for planning purposes as we endeavour to enable your area for even higher broadband speeds as soon as possible.

Last edited:

mmmig

Executive Member
I found that the coverage map on Telkom's website to be inaccurate in my case with possible address issues, even the Telkom Sales people had difficulty determining what speeds are applicable for my address.
Whereas the Openserve portal where you enter your DSL phone line number to be on the money in regards to what products are actually available.
Telkom Staff are useless I witness them tell a guy tell somebody who lived in my area that Telkom does not support ADSL in my area, when I and several others have ADSL. Unfortunately was stuck in the purgatory that is the line at the Telkom Store to assist him

DeSLAM

That isnt all correct. OpenServe simply gives you the highest attainable line speed in your area.

E.g. Their system reflects that " it is possible for you to order broadband services up to 10Mbps right now. " - truth is; our actual line speed is not even capable of a maximum of 4Mbps in our street.

Your ADSL router will tell what your line is capable of at maximum speed - if you are paying for any ADSL line faster than that speed - you are simply throwing your money away.

BTTB

That isnt all correct. OpenServe simply gives you the highest attainable line speed in your area.

E.g. Their system reflects that " it is possible for you to order broadband services up to 10Mbps right now. " - truth is; our actual line speed is not even capable of a maximum of 4Mbps in our street.

Your ADSL router will tell what your line is capable of at maximum speed - if you are paying for any ADSL line faster than that speed - you are simply throwing your money away.
I understand what you are saying.
In my case I live within 1Km of the Exchange so SNR and Line Attenuation are not an issue in regards to line speed as I should be able to achieve the highest speed available, yet only 1 of the 10 or so people at 10213 Telkom Sales at Telkom could actually upgrade my line or even give the correct information. After spending around a week querying the behemoth and finally getting the upgrade, I found the Openserve portal afterwards and there in plain view it says up to 20Mbs available for my DSL line number, yet only 1 out of 10 people at Telkom could tell me this. Very frustrating dealing with 10213 and 10210 and the online chat has its limitations where they can reset your port and it seems they copy and paste some stuff referring you back to 10213 or 10210.

Found myself in a endless loop dealing with Telkom, so I stopped to retain my sanity.

DeSLAM

yup those are very junior "support" staff, don't understand half the technology - just use "flip charts" to attempt to resolve issues (if this - then that etc). I've tested their "knowledge". ;)

The Openserve portal gives you max ability in the area of your phone number - its not street or number specific results...its a general area result.

Bottom line - check your router diagnostics once your line is up - and if the DSL line cannot attain what you pay for; downgrade immediately - or you're just wasting money.

The ISPs will gladly oversell a DSL product which actually wont work at your location. They do it often and I see it a lot.

Bullsh*tting clients for money - with a "best effort" cop out clause somewhere in the contract.

Last edited: