Upgrading to 500 Mbps Openserve fibre on Afrihost Client Zone tested

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

skusku

I had 200Mbps line when openserve did the upgrades. There was nothing that I could do with 200mbps line that wasn't possible on the 100Mbps line. So I downgraded and saved a few bucks a month.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
A lot of people won't even have a router capable of this and would be limited on their ethernet. All fine and dandy if they know this, not so much if they don't.

W.Salie

I had 200Mbps line when openserve did the upgrades. There was nothing that I could do with 200mbps line that wasn't possible on the 100Mbps line. So I downgraded and saved a few bucks a month.
100mbps is still a lot, i guess the main benefit is when downloading right? i mean do you really see a big difference when streaming?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
100mbps is still a lot, i guess the main benefit is when downloading right? i mean do you really see a big difference when streaming?
Netflix 4k hardly go over 30mbps, but useless if you have few people in house wanting to stream 4k

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Well, the benefit would visible when 5 family members each streaming Netflix at the same time.

Magnum

Executive Member
I am in this same boat now. Next upgrade cycle I am going to downgrade as I cannot fully use 100Mbps.

Budza

Executive Member
I'm just glad to see ISPs are constantly working at increasing speeds.

Mobile is catching up- look at Telkom 2TB for R700 or something.

Fibre needs to differentiate itself from that.

I may try going for a mobile only solution for a month in December when I'm away from home for half the month anyway...

Might make me appreciate fibre more :p

Unreal

I’m on 200mbps. By the time it finishes with the mesh hoping and all the other stuff I get 60mbps in the furthest room. That is the reason I’m keeping the 200mbps. (My son’s X Box is the other reason)- this guy starts a 50 GB download, goes to the bathroom, comes back a second later and asks if it’s done yet. I tell him: if you grew up with Telkom R7 weekend bundle on a 56K modem, you wouldn’t even ask me that

Johand

Expert Member
Do I need it? No.

Do I know what I would do with the extra speed? Also, no.

Haha. So I have been drooling upgrading my 100Mbps line, but can't really really justify it. At some point the bottleneck is not the local download speed anymore

Although I must say that from 50Mbps to 100 Mbps makes a huge difference in terms of quality of experience...

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Netflix only need 15Mbps for 4k https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306.

Not to mention if you have a tv stick with av1 support it only needs around 10Mbps.

/checks

Yep, we be having it :p

Afrihost 500Mbps on the AX3 router, 3 PCs on Ethernet (2 for gamers, 1 for work), WiFi throughout on mesh and the TV with the Fire Stick 4k Max and we are going like a Boeing whether it's streaming Netflix, live UK TV or UHD on catch up.