Upgrading to WinXP Pro from Win98se oem version?

Threepwood

I have a possible source for an upgrade version of XP.

AFAIK you can upgrade to XP from Win98se, but I only have an oem version of that.

Would this cause the usual problem of not being allowed to install it on another PC at a later time? After removing it from the first PC of course.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I have a possible source for an upgrade version of XP.

AFAIK you can upgrade to XP from Win98se, but I only have an oem version of that.

Would this cause the usual problem of not being allowed to install it on another PC at a later time? After removing it from the first PC of course.

um, I stand to be corrected on this... Windows is weird... but it would only give you licensing problems... not installation problems.... I think :confused:

Threepwood

Licensing problems is my main concern, though obviously I would want it to be installed...

I think it may be too much of a gamble actually, not being able to tell for sure.

Maybe I should have stated in the original question, after the upgrade to XP would XP be as if it was an OEM/DSP version?

That's what I'm getting at if anyone can't understand me :D

Dr.G

Expert Member
I upgraded from windows XP to vista and this didnt happen? It was an OEM Xp by the way

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Licensing problems is my main concern, though obviously I would want it to be installed...

I think it may be too much of a gamble actually, not being able to tell for sure.

Maybe I should have stated in the original question, after the upgrade to XP would XP be as if it was an OEM/DSP version?

That's what I'm getting at if anyone can't understand me :D

if you started with an OEM license... then you are not entitled to any Support from Microsoft.... even when you have upgraded.

Threepwood

I'm not really interested in or worried about MS support.

I've never needed it before, and probably never will. IMHO that's why there are internet forums.

The main concern is transfferring the OS to a new system later on, which a retail versions licence allows for.

I guess it makes sense that it would be counted as DSP/OEM in this scenario though, so I probably won't risk it.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
When you do the fresh install, it will ask for the original Win98 OEM CD. That's all.
I assume you're using the same system or maybe you upgraded your mobo/CPU
but using everything else, the same.

If you buy a brand new PC, well that will come with its own OEM Vista. Vista Business
OEM includes a free WinXP Pro licence.

Last edited:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
if you started with an OEM license... then you are not entitled to any Support from Microsoft.... even when you have upgraded.

Does not make sense. If he had Win98 on his PC to start off with and now
BOUGHT da UPGRADE then he is entitled for support. If he overwrote Win98
with a new XP OEM/DSP then he must claim support from his vendor (aka OEM).