UPS Battery upgrade 7ah to 9ah

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
My bank drops to 25v after loadshedding has ended.
I wont allow it to go further down than that.
Will switch stuff off rather for that last bit of time before power is restored

Lupus

Honorary Master
So that's a nope on using this as solution. Despite only having the monitor on for 30 minutes it tanked out right before 8am. I'll need something stronger and looking at the battery ratings those inverters have, that might just be the ticket.

This is how things looked after the power can back on.
View attachment 995894
Yup use the UPS to do the initial switch which is 8ms while the inverter can be 500ms so you will have the ups to smooth out the switch over.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
So that's a nope on using this as solution. Despite only having the monitor on for 30 minutes it tanked out right before 8am. I'll need something stronger and looking at the battery ratings those inverters have, that might just be the ticket.

This is how things looked after the power can back on.
View attachment 995894
Mecer 720watt inverter and 105ah deep cycle

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Basically consumer UPS's and Inverters are the same but Inverters have options for much bigger capacity batteries and are normally two units: Battery and the inverter.

UPS has smaller batteries designed to keep the PC (mainly) on long enough to shutdown and has software to tell the PC to auto shutdown, they are usually not configurable and are sold as a single unit.

Not sure if inverter also has PC shutdown software.

Also putting a car battery on a UPS may damage the charger.

UPS also has a lower switchover time so your PC may switch off on an inverter, depending on the quality of your PSU.

dunkyd

Executive Member
Mecer 720watt inverter and 105ah deep cycle
Thats what I have, works like a dream for last 8 years.
Small panel and controller keeps the battery charged.
Runs lounge LEDs every night and tv etc when needed.
No UPS involved.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thats what I have, works like a dream for last 8 years.
Small panel and controller keeps the battery charged.
Runs lounge LEDs every night and tv etc when needed.
No UPS involved.
You wouldn't need a UPS for that, for a PC you'd prefer to have a UPS in front of it.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
You wouldn't need a UPS for that, for a PC you'd prefer to have a UPS in front of it.

Depends on the PC switching power supply quality, and whether you are operating at full CPU load. I experienced a brief power drop (brownout) last week. One PC rebooted, the other didn't. Monitor and lights don't matter.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Depends on the PC switching power supply quality, and whether you are operating at full CPU load. I experienced a brief power drop (brownout) last week. One PC rebooted, the other didn't. Monitor and lights don't matter.
True, but he already has the UPS, so for safety sake it would be better. I mean if he only wants to run it after the power has been off a while then go for it. I used mine with my PC for a few games.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
True, but he already has the UPS, so for safety sake it would be better. I mean if he only wants to run it after the power has been off a while then go for it. I used mine with my PC for a few games.

I agree, but the inefficiency of an inverter feeding a UPS, feeding a switch mode power supply, seems horrifying...

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
I agree, but the inefficiency of an inverter feeding a UPS, feeding a switch mode power supply, seems horrifying...

DC to AC to DC to AC to DC hahaha brooooo

Currently have A into UPS from Eskom and B feed from genny into UPS relay... Chemical -> AC -> DC -> AC -> DC :ROFL:

crysis

Expert Member
So is it not recommended to run a UPS inline with one of those mecer 2400's?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I got mine today, did not realise it was so heavy but thankfully I opted for one with wheels.

When I powered it on the fan kicked in for a minute or two and then switched off. I assume it it fully charged, the indicator shows full battery.

However there is a noise that sounds like a capacitor or other component has gone bad. This soft chirp/clicking noise, and when I switch off the power supply to the inverter it just dies completely - despite the battery being full.

I will give it 24 hours, maybe the battery is actually charging? But thus far it is not looking promising.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I got mine today, did not realise it was so heavy but thankfully I opted for one with wheels.

When I powered it on the fan kicked in for a minute or two and then switched off. I assume it it fully charged, the indicator shows full battery.

However there is a noise that sounds like a capacitor or other component has gone bad. This soft chirp/clicking noise, and when I switch off the power supply to the inverter it just dies completely - despite the battery being full.

I will give it 24 hours, maybe the battery is actually charging? But thus far it is not looking promising.
That doesn't sound right, that sounds like it's popped :-(. Cause it should switch over automatically, is it the 720 with one battery?

isie

Honorary Master

Yup, that's the one.

try pressing the power button once - some models its UPS mode on and off so could be why its going off when not powered