UPS options for Vuma ONT and TP-Link AC750 C20 Router

Ted76

Could anyone in the know recommend a decent UPS for this setup? I'd like to spend below R800 for a UPS (I realise this compromises on battery life) and I really only need to power my router and ONT box for an absolute maximum of 4 hours, taking into account load shedding can overrun sometimes.

I've researched a few options but the more I look, the more confusing things become.

Thanks in advance.

nad_isa

Any of the gizzu, ultrlan or Vizia units should do fine. I had the gizzu dual DC. Worked perfectly. Paid 799.

Sold that for a ultralan unit. Similar but had the 48v poe I was looking for.

Last edited:

tm458

Any of the gizzu, ultrlan or Vizia units should do fine. I had the gizzu dual DC. Worked perfectly. Paid 799.

Sold that for a ultralan unit. Similar but had the 48v poe I was looking for.
how long does the gizzu dual dc last while powering both the ont and router?

CrypticZA

Expert Member

I have this had it for almost a year now and lasts easy up to 6 hours got the same setup Vuma CPE & C20 if you shop around you can get it cheaper this R999 is pretty pricey...

rh1

Executive Member
Tp link routers tend to be 9v and ont is 12v.

9v micro ups used to be less easily available, but is becoming more and more available. Just check the back or bottom of router to confirm voltage. You need an micro/mini ups that delivers both (9v and 12v). So battery size (there are different methods for giving battery sizes , so google how to convert) is important, bigger is obviously better.

There is a thread based on a Mybb Article where forum members gave their experiences on different devices (including me)

nad_isa

I have this had it for almost a year now and lasts easy up to 6 hours got the same setup Vuma CPE & C20 if you shop around you can get it cheaper this R999 is pretty pricey...

yep there normally are specials every now and then. i paid 799 at incredible con

Ted76

I'm actually fairly tech savvy, you wouldn't think so with this next question, :ROFL: what is the benefit of PoE? I know what it stands for, does it basically allow you to bypass the router and run an ethernet cable directly from the ONT box to the computer ethernet port, thereby only requiring power for the ONT box?

Ted76

I'm actually fairly tech savvy, you wouldn't think so with this next question, :ROFL: what is the benefit of PoE? I know what it stands for, does it basically allow you to bypass the router and run an ethernet cable directly from the ONT box to the computer ethernet port, thereby only requiring power for the ONT box?
Nevermind, got it. Ethernet is data, for a CCTV camera for ie, not an internet feed.

nad_isa

you half answered your question. POE output send power and POE in - 'accepts' power so to say.

for me I use a ups with poe out to power my router (poe in port). My router also has poe out so i power an access point from the router. You negate the need for POE injectors/supply and the such to power your devices and can power over the ethernet cable itself

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu