UPS Uptime calculation

kitkat+

Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting a 2KVA UPS. How much uptime will it give me? I have the following devices.

-6 x W6 Unifi lite - 12W max
- 2 x Netgear Switches - 6W
-1 x Huawei router - not sure, maybe 12W

Thanks
Kitty

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting a 2KVA UPS. How much uptime will it give me? I have the following devices.

Thanks
Kitty
It depends on the capacity of the batteries in the UPS.

I would rather recommend a 2400W inverter with a 2x 100AH batteries, that could last 24-36 hours without damaging the batteries.

A normal 2000W UPS would last about an hour. A UPS is not designed for long uptime, it's just so you can safely shutdown your PC or until the generator kicks in.

mikewazar

I would rather recommend a 2400W inverter with a 2x 100AH batteries, that could last 24-36 hours without damaging the batteries.

A normal 2000W UPS would last about an hour. A UPS is not designed for long uptime, it's just so you can safely shutdown your PC or until the generator kicks in.
lol

Lupus

Honorary Master

Not necessarily, I'm running my bedroom 9v 0.6amp router through a 650va UPS and it happily does 2 hours, which then auto shuts off, so 15 to 30 minutes before load shedding ends

richjdavies

Expert Member
Is it only powering the equipment you mentioned there...
Thats like 100W at full rated wattage... (Which they wont run at 90% of the time).

Id say better off getting a couple of lithium mini UPS packs see the router UPS thread.
How do you currently power these items all wall warts / adapters or are sone Power over Ethernet?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Not necessarily, I'm running my bedroom 9v 0.6amp router through a 650va UPS and it happily does 2 hours, which then auto shuts off, so 15 to 30 minutes before load shedding ends
I went according to my 2000VA Eaton datasheet, it says 100w has a runtime of 1Hour.

But then again you are comparing 0.6A to 8A which is what the OP will use.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Hi Guys

Thanks
Kitty
That's roughly 100 Watts, about the same as my lounge setup for loadshedding
After 2hrs and a few minutes of loadshedding before power comes back on my batteries are sitting on 25.2volts (in series)
So about 12.6 volts

My batteries are still sitting at about 95% capacity and they then happily charge back to 100% and are ready for the next loadsheeding cycle

The trick here you want is maximum battery capacity so that your batteries do not deplete much, no battery enjoys going flat, except for lithium and they are pretty expensive.

I am using a Mecer 2400VA Inverter which is an overkill considering it can output 1440 Watts of power and I am only outputting 100 Watts.
If I go to town and switch on the telly as well and an LED light in lounge I get close to 200 Watts.

Curious Case of 50% Depth of Discharge for Lead Acid Battery | EcoSoch

Last edited:

kitkat+

Is there a way to turn off the beeping sound on the UPS when power goes down ?

MidnightZA

Expert Member

I have an Eaton 5E. I have to use the app on pc to silence it but then when the ups goes off the settings revert back to default.

Alternatively you can open it up and rip out the part that beeps

Pineapple Smurf

Yes, open it up and stick a big fat piece of Prestik on the piezo tweeter speaker, it will muffle about 85% of the sound, enough for it to be bearable, like having a conversation with @46Female

Pineapple Smurf

I have an Eaton 5E. I have to use the app on pc to silence it but then when the ups goes off the settings revert back to default.

Alternatively you can open it up and rip out the part that beeps
I enjoy hearing the beeps faintly as it reminds me everything is working properly.
There are also warning beeps, ex your batteries are failing, so should you hear this when ESKOM is on you should attend to it :thumbsup:

deweyzeph

Executive Member

As mentioned before, a UPS is not meant to be used like an inverter. The beeps are purposely there to remind you to gracefully shut down everything connected to it. If you want to run things for 2 to 4 hours then get a proper inverter setup. Using a UPS like an inverter is just going to result in disappointment.