Urgent and drastic measures to stop the coronavirus in South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Urgent and drastic measures to stop the coronavirus in South Africa

President Cyril Ramaphosa has addressed the nation about the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak in South Africa, and listed restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.

“This situation called for an extraordinary response,” said Ramaphosa, adding that a national state of disaster has been implemented in the country.

The restrictions are:
  • Travel bans on individuals from high-risks countries, including Italy, Iran, South Korea, China, the UK, and the US.
  • South Africans are advised to avoid traveling through Europe, the US, UK, and China.
  • Foreign nationals from high-risk countries will be denied an entry visa to South Africa.
  • South Africans who are returning from high-risk countries will be required to undergo testing and self-isolation.
  • International airports will have improved screening measures.
  • Non-essential government travel overseas will be curtailed.
  • Non-essential local travel must be curtailed.
  • Gatherings of more than 100 people will be prohibited.
  • Large government events will be cancelled.
  • Schools will be closed from 18 March 2020 until after the Easter holidays.
  • All businesses must improve hygiene controls.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The mentality needs to be one of 'How can I help?'. Everyone can contribute.

I'm going to chat with my daughters Teacher to see if she can stream classes via Zoom/YouTube/etc and help with setup etc.

Fjorko

Expert Member
I honestly think closing schools will make it worse, cause who's going to look after the kids and generally it's the grandparents.
Exactly ! We literally just said the same thing in our own household...

AdrianH

Expert Member
South Africans who are returning from high-risk countries will be required to undergo testing and self-isolation.

Well, I am landing Friday from UK. Looking forward to see how the do the testing and monitor the self isolation. More politic talk, thats all.

sjm

I honestly think closing schools will make it worse, cause who's going to look after the kids and generally it's the grandparents.
Kids are a huge potential vector for transmission whilst at school (all you need is one infected kid to perhaps infect hundreds or thousands of families). Closing schools reduces the chances of the virus spreading

Corelli

Expert Member
South Africans who are returning from high-risk countries will be required to undergo testing and self-isolation.

Well, I am landing Friday from UK. Looking forward to see how the do the testing and monitor the self isolation. More politic talk, thats all.
Uhm you will be executed on arrival. Wait this isnt North Korea...

The person at the gates will be on lunch so dont forget your coffee and donuts on way in.

Calkem

Self-isolation in SA will never work, self-isolation only works when they is a strong judicial system, you can't threaten people with a prison sentence when politicians themselves are not afraid with a prison sentence.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
He also mentioned that anyone that has arrived from a high risk area since mid Feb should have themselves tested.

signates

Executive Member

My wife is arriving on Saturday from the UK and leaving again the following week. The self quarantine is the issue as she would not make her outbound flight.

She's going to speak to her employer in the morning to get their take as she only has leave for a week. They do have offices in Cape Town that she could work from if she's stuck here.

access

Honorary Master
rather late than never i suppose..

cant exactly stay at home if your income requires human interaction like grocery stores or service professionals etc. need something like a bills freeze. i see there are requests for such things elsewhere in the world.