Urgent! Vacuum choice

SAguy

Expert Member
I returned two Dyson V8's to Takealot. The battery life was completely dismal as opposed to stated life.

How is yours going?
The battery life isn't great nope.. we have a modest 3 bedroom home and on max setting you can't vacuum the whole house.

My wife and I do love it though, even though you can't do an all day spring cleaning with - it's much easier to keep the house clean because it's quick and effortless to pick up and use every day.

It's definitely not going to replace a normal vacuum for a bigger house

Grant

Honorary Master

Speedster

Executive Member
H
It will outlive anything out there.
The design and flexibility is something to behold - pure German design and build.
I also baulked at the price initially.
Had one as a demo, bought it.
How is this different / better than a Kirby?

_kabal_

Expert Member
Willing to sponsor OP the difference between his budget and your suggestion?
Didn’t suggest anything. Was replying to a poster asking specifically about battery life.

I could maybe sponsor you reading lessons if you ask nicely

smiley-zn

Get a Bosch bagged
I have been buying and chucking vacuums away for many many years
In that price range - Bosch. Don't know where you are based, but the main warehouse is in Midrand and they keep parts for about 10 years. Bags freely available online and at Makro

Don't fret to much about wattage

I am looking at a Bosch vacuum cleaner myself, is there any reason you prefer the bagged Vaccum?

I was looking at bagless Vaccums to avoid additional costs down the road.

BTW how long does a bagged Vaccum bag last before the bag needs to be replaced?

Last edited:

Jacquesvdj

I am looking at a Bosch vacuum cleaner myself, is there any reason you prefer the bagged Vaccum?

BTW how long does a bagged Vaccum last before needing to be replaced?
:thumbsup:

Jacquesvdj

Get a Bosch bagged
I have been buying and chucking vacuums away for many many years
In that price range - Bosch. Don't know where you are based, but the main warehouse is in Midrand and they keep parts for about 10 years. Bags freely available online and at Makro

Don't fret to much about wattage

We need some clarity please .:)

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

BTW how long does a bagged Vaccum last before needing to be replaced?
How does 35 years sound to you?

"Nothing sucks like Electrolux" ---- Not a moments trouble with it ever.

Ho I forget, none of you has clue what I am talking about. Those were the days when local was really lekker and they last forever.

Suction power is the important parameter worth the extra R 400.

Having said that, I bought a 2nd hand vacuum cleaner no name brand from Hospice about 15 years ago for R20 "Bagless" wet and dry. Had a label on it that said "works but only just". Needed it to vacuum the ceiling. Was prepared to throw it away after the job was done. replaced a capacitor in it and it worked, so well that I decided I was going to keep it. The motor was pretty well finished after the ceiling job, but found one that would fit, 3000 Watt for R 400. The design is magnificent (airflow design looks like a jet engine designer designed it). Still works.

Last edited:

Sensorei

Executive Member
I never thought I could spend over R5K on a vacuum cleaner until I tried the Bosch Unlimited. No regrets. Best cordless vacuum on the market. Even better than Dyson V10.

It includes 2x 3A batteries that are compatible with Bosch's 18V power tools and a 50 minute fast charger. Check it out.

Colin62

Executive Member
Just curious - has anyone got any experience with central vacuum cleaners? The kind where it sits outside the house (often in a basement or similar) and you pop the pipe into a duct in each room?

I like the fact that the dirty air is removed completely, and you’re less reliant on the quality and condition of the filters.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No experience but researched the idea years ago. The concept is sound. The idea to keep the dust out of the home is 100% correct.
I promised myself that if I ever did build a new house or buy one again, this is the system In would install. At the time the costs were just way beyond my budget.

Colin62

Executive Member
Yeah, that’s where I sit - I’m planning to build sometime in the next few years, and if done at the time of building it should be a bit more affordable. But I have a feeling that when it comes time to decide a bigger inverter and some extra batteries will get the budget allocation ahead of a vacuum cleaner.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I suggest that the place to research these systems would be those involved in building secure viral research institutions and dust free labs and factories.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Rainbow is probably one of the best but at the price of an small car. I had the Bissell upright lasted 2 years, 2nd Bissell lasted 2 years. Brushes started falling out. Both plastic wheel ( running on the plastic body) has worn down to a point that it locked up. Cant find the filters.

So decided to get the Karcher WD 3 wet and dry. the thing is a machine, huge difference in how it cleans. And price is really good.

1590047877474.jpeg
Karcher WD3 Wet and Dry Vacuum Cleaner
ZAR 1,299.00
Makro

ryanrich

Dyson or nothing!

Bought a Dyson Bog Ball Animal Pro here in AUS and it’s the ****! Expensive but worth it!

Speedster

Executive Member
Since we've morphed from the op, I might as well aid the derailment. Our daughter had been struggling with light asthma, esp at night - struggling to sleep etc. Anyway, we started looking around for a true HEPA vacuum. We looked at all the options - Karcher, Kirby, Hoover, Bosch, Dyson etc - and eventually settled on the Miele. It's a gorgeous machine and does its job well. In the meantime I also picked up a Xiaomi robot vacuum and that thing is a little piece of heaven. The Xiaomi does a daily run through the home and then we vacuum with the Miele as needed - normally once a week when the domestic comes in.