Urgently looking for a reliable VPS with 99% uptime and after hours support.

Highlight

Requirements:
After hours support because it always breaks in the evening or on weekends, when there is no answer at Support.
A VPS which is properly setup in the beginning (preventative maintenance), instead of doing corrective fixes every time it breaks.
Must have cPanel, firewall and the extra tweaks that make it more secure and reliable.
Support must have systems in place that monitor uptime (Google to find web monitoring solutions), not rely on clients to notify them.
Support people who understands that when I say "server is down", it really is, could not care if you can ping it from Hong Kong... if I cannot open a website and my clients and their clients cannot open a website, then the server is down and need fixing because my clients are loosing business.
If a tracert says "Request timed out", then the server is down.
Support people who are willing to work with you to solve problems.
Call centre staff must know what a VPS is... call some large Web hosting companies.
Must be hosted in a real data centre.
When there are network issues it must be displayed on the data centre website or the VPS provider website.
Cloud... only if you can guarantee 99% uptime, otherwise cloud = unreliable and downtime.

Am also looking for a Cape Town based linux server support EXPERT who do freelance work.

Please send a PM.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Cloud... only if you can guarantee 99% uptime, otherwise cloud = unreliable and downtime.
I smiled at this comment

It basically looks like you want a fully managed server to run your hosting company with. Those are rare and expensive as basically whoever hosts that is expected to run a huge part of your business for you.

Tinuva

The Magician
I like how he says if you can ping the server but not get to the website, that the server is down. No it is not, the server is up, the website is down. Small technicalities that annoy me, but that is just me.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Seems like reasonable requirements, we have a high availability Vps solution for 30k a month backed by a proper SLA.

Also available for freelance work, our Linux team charges R750 excl per hour.

On a serious note, I love how people make such a big thing about not being able to ping their server from random places like Hongkong. Generally large subnets get blocked due to the amount of hacking attempts Asia produces. If you require traffic from all over the world get a CDN. Sy

philaniH

30k a month backed by a proper SLA.
just made my day.

to get such service you will need a middle man. DC's have higher issues. Providers focus on making money (a certain % of them)

a middle man focuses on making you happy. Middle mans know their story and enjoy the work.

since you never mentioned the price range,
30k a month backed by a proper SLA.

should do .

PM me if you need a middle man, does not come cheap though.

bullzeye.za

Expert Member

Requirements:
After hours support because it always breaks in the evening or on weekends, when there is no answer at Support.
A VPS which is properly setup in the beginning (preventative maintenance), instead of doing corrective fixes every time it breaks.
Must have cPanel, firewall and the extra tweaks that make it more secure and reliable.
Support must have systems in place that monitor uptime (Google to find web monitoring solutions), not rely on clients to notify them.
Support people who understands that when I say "server is down", it really is, could not care if you can ping it from Hong Kong... if I cannot open a website and my clients and their clients cannot open a website, then the server is down and need fixing because my clients are loosing business.
If a tracert says "Request timed out", then the server is down.
Support people who are willing to work with you to solve problems.
Call centre staff must know what a VPS is... call some large Web hosting companies.
Must be hosted in a real data centre.
When there are network issues it must be displayed on the data centre website or the VPS provider website.

Am also looking for a Cape Town based linux server support EXPERT who do freelance work.

Please send a PM.

What you're looking for is managed hosting. A VPS is simply a private virtual machine, with nothing attached. Install an OS, give access to the customer, and then hands off. You need someone to administrate it for you, and that's where the expensive bit comes in. I can give you a 99.99% uptime guarantee VPS for under $20, but then it's up to you to find someone to manage and take care of it.

If the thing is completely inaccessible, then it's my problem. If there's a hardware fault that causes performance issues, then it's my problem. If the software you installed on it goes haywire, deletes the entire filesystem, and causes your website to be inaccessible? That's your problem again. But if I can prove that the hardware is solid, and the machine responds to pings and shows a screen when you look at the console, then it's not up to me to fix it.

You need someone that will rent you a VPS and manage it for you, and that kind of provider is hard to find. He'll be expensive, and he'll make damned sure that your hosting is solid, because if he can keep the server running, he doesn't have to hear from you, and he's being paid just to sit around and wait for something to go wrong. A firefighter, if you will.

What's the budget?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
yeah true, but for what you get worth "managing" it yourself

Just something else that should be pointed out. They make absolutely terrible shared hosting VPS`s. Theyre good for single sites, but you cant add extra IP`s to a VPS which means that if you have shared hosting you cant offer conventional SSL.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Just something else that should be pointed out. They make absolutely terrible shared hosting VPS`s. Theyre good for single sites, but you cant add extra IP`s to a VPS which means that if you have shared hosting you cant offer conventional SSL.

haha yeah true oh well, still cheap enough to spin up a private server for cheap haha.

Maybe Afrihost or EliteHost for local? International usually is better with up time so Rackspace sounds like your best option

FFF4Skin

Go with Cybersmart's VPS solutions. They are listed as a ZA Cpanel provider and they are cheaper than most, their services is reliable and they only recently went down for a maintenance period. I recently tested their VPS solutions and found it capable of what they claim. Also 1 or 2 of my clients are yet to complain of "Dowtime".

Their support staff is proactive which I found refreshing but they are yet to setup a working call directory to reach their hosting department. It was a rather great pain in the ass to have to wait for someone, but considering I am yet to even get a call from some ISP's related to their VPS--I would have to say "lets hope it gets better".

So 2 birds with 1 stone, VPS + Cpanel and if you need a firewall just PM me I will write you one for Cpanel using IPTables, or just get another PFsense VM if your paranoid.

As for freelance... Depends on how interesting the jobs are, alternatively hire a sysadmin.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
haha yeah true oh well, still cheap enough to spin up a private server for cheap haha.

Maybe Afrihost or EliteHost for local? International usually is better with up time so Rackspace sounds like your best option

Linode are also a good choice. They have slightly better support than Rackspace.... and Rackspace support is hard to beat.