Urgently need super-wizz iPhone data restorer in Cape Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Just bricked an iPhone whilst travelling (underwater for 30 minutes) so there's major critical data I can't get off. Where's the best place to take this in Cape Town to ensure I at least get the data off the memory (preferably S Suburbs and not OTT pricing)

Last edited:

jsheed_sa

Executive Member

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Is the data not on icloud by chance? I know some of mine is:

icloud.jpg

Check - you might get lucky.

samcro

Just bricked an iPhone whilst travelling (underwater for 30 minutes) so there's major critical data I can't get off. Where's the best place to take this in Cape Town to ensure I at least get the data off the memory (preferably S Suburbs and not OTT pricing)
Just sent you a PM.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the data strongly encrypted on all iDevices these days?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Did you try the bowl of rice trick ?
I knew someone would mention the rice :)

My question is more really where's the best place to take this in Cape Town to ensure I at least get the data off the memory (preferably S Suburbs and not OTT pricing)

bigboy529

Expert Member
Your chances of getting the data off the device is very very slim if not 0. You can't simply open a iPhone and plug its storage chip in to another device to get the data off, look what the FBI whent through a couple of months ago, everything is heavily encrypted.

See it as a lesson for not having any iTunes or iCloud backups and move on.

evilskaap

Expert Member
3 years ago, my iphone went through the washing maching, 90mins. Left it to dry in rice for a week, powered on and worked first time, no damage

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I knew someone would mention the rice :)

My question is more really where's the best place to take this in Cape Town to ensure I at least get the data off the memory (preferably S Suburbs and not OTT pricing)
Doesn't back up his phone to the cloud.
Wants data back without driving too far and paying a lot.

:wtf:

waylander

Expert Member
Do you have any suggestions for where I can take it to be looked at?
Dude, best case is leaving it under rice for a week, praying it turns on and if it doesn't, try saving the motherboard and hot-bridging to a battery and display to do an iTunes backup.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Which model? Some are quite robust despite potential water damage.

Give it a day or 2 to dry out then connect it to a PC/MAC running iTunes and choose the backup to this pc option. If iTunes recognizes a connected iPhone, there's a good chance all data can be salvaged.

Don't try powering it up until you've given it enough time to dry out.

Last edited:

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I can't believe how difficult it is to get responses which actually answer a very specific question - only one person suggested a place (thank you Mr Smooth)

I found a place (Timeplex) which suits the requirements exactly. Timeplex charges reasonable rates and has good experience with apple devices. I highly recommend.

Thanks for the PM with that suggestion.

Many are well meaning, so thank you, but not helpful (I do have Google to tried a lot before I posted).

As for mightyquin - not necessary boet. Why would you do that - you don't know the background.

Last edited:

signates

Executive Member
Hope OP comes right.

One thing I've learnt after having a hard drive crash and losing a few phones, critical data is always stored and synced in multiple locations and backed up to the cloud using both Google drive and Microsoft OneDrive.

Gone are the days of paying more than R5k for data recovery.

sand_man

Honorary Master
I can't believe how difficult it is to get responses which actually answer a very specific question - only one person suggested a place (thank you Mr Smooth)

I found a place (Timeplex) which suits the requirements exactly. Timeplex charges reasonable rates and has good experience with apple devices. I highly recommend.

Thanks for the PM with that suggestion.

Many are well meaning, so thank you, but not helpful (I do have Google to tried a lot before I posted).

As for mightyquin - not necessary boet. Why would you do that - you don't know the background.
So data intact and salvaged? Or is it a work in progress?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
So data intact and salvaged? Or is it a work in progress?
Just to clarify : It's not my personal phone - just assisting someone who was travelling. Personally I have an S7 Edge with live sync of data. I'm a telecom consultant so I'm on top of my own IT!

There was data synced to iCloud but not the most recent (and critical data the person was looking for).

The A9 chip cracked, so no easy way forward. Timeplex is very good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.