(US) Andrew Brown Jr.'s death 'tragic' but 'justified'

rvZA

Expert Member

North Carolina District Attorney Andrew Womble said at a press conference on Tuesday that the deputy-involved shooting of Andrew Brown Jr. "while tragic, was justified" – and no law enforcement officers will be criminally charged in the case.

Womble, the elected district attorney for Judicial District 1, which covers seven counties of the northeastern part of the state, said that Brown was shot at by three Pasquotank deputies, whose actions were "justified because Brown’s actions caused deputies to reasonably believe it necessary to use force to protect themselves and others."

Womble began playing four body camera videos during the press conference.

Brown ignored deputies' commands to stop and began to drive his car directly at one of the officers, Womble told a news conference. He said the first shot fired at Brown’s car went through the front windshield, not the back as was previously reported.

Womble said that Brown used his vehicle to commit assault with a deadly weapon.

Deputies attempting to serve drug-related search and arrest warrants shot and killed Brown outside his Elizabeth City home on April 21.

rvZA

Expert Member
I wonder when the American black minorites will realize that the police are there for them, to protect them and save their lives. I do not understand their resistance to police and authority.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I wonder when the American black minorites will realize that the police are there for them, to protect them and save their lives. I do not understand their resistance to police and authority.
Erm...

Gnome

Executive Member
A lot of the recent BLM "heroes" were disgusting humans who came to their inevitable end. If they police didn't kill them someone else would have.

That said, the problem is the US police system is completely unbalanced in favour of the police.
For example it is legal in the US for a police officer to follow you 24/7 until you commit a crime then arrest you (many more such crazy laws)
If you video tape the police or question them in the US they'll find a way to arrest you.
There are just too many such incidents for it to be ok.

The police in the US are unchecked and corrupt.

Paul_S

Expert Member
The police in the US are unchecked and corrupt.

They cannot be any worse than SAPS though. I'd take the police in the US over ours any day of the week.
In the US if you report a crime the police actually bother to check it out.

Let's not even get started with the reluctance to assist the public at police stations, dockets conveniently go missing, a R100 or R200 note slipped into any document makes troubles dissapear, extorting money from foreigners (Malawians, Zimbabweans), etc.

Gnome

Executive Member
They cannot be any worse than SAPS though. I'd take the police in the US over ours any day of the week.
In the US if you report a crime the police actually bother to check it out.

Let's not even get started with the reluctance to assist the public at police stations, dockets conveniently go missing, a R100 or R200 note slipped into any document makes troubles dissapear, extorting money from foreigners (Malawians, Zimbabweans), etc.
Well yes and no.
In terms of solving actual crime, they are much better.

However there are a number of YouTube channels about police corruption in the US and it is quite shocking.
For example Asset Forfeiture is now classified by the FBI, by far, as the largest ongoing case of theft from innocent civilians.
Asset forfeiture being, a police officer arrests you and takes your stuff because "it was used during the commission of a crime".
The problem is no crime was committed, they simply stop people next to a highway, get a drug dog to bark then take your car.

Lots of cases also of police either going after people they don't like or people their spouses or friends don't like.
Police searching cars when they aren't allowed to
Arresting people without probable cause because they don't want to answer their questions (even after saying they don't want to answer questions without a lawyer present)
etc.
etc.

It comes down to two things, their egos and taking stuff to get money.