US carries out first federal execution of woman in decades

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Washington - An American woman who murdered a pregnant dog breeder in order to steal her baby was put to death by lethal injection on Wednesday, becoming the first female to be executed by US federal authorities in nearly seven decades.

The US Justice Department said Lisa Montgomery, 52, was pronounced dead at 1:31 am Eastern Time (0631 GMT) at a penitentiary in Terre Haute, Indiana.

It said the execution was "in accordance with the capital sentence unanimously recommended by a federal jury and imposed by the US District Court for the Western District of Missouri".

The US Supreme Court cleared the way for Montgomery's execution just hours earlier -- despite doubts about her mental state - after the government of President Donald Trump had pushed for the application of the death penalty.

Montgomery's defenders did not deny the seriousness of her crime: in 2004, she killed a pregnant 23-year-old in order to steal her baby.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
An American woman who murdered a pregnant dog breeder in order to steal her baby was put to death by lethal injection on Wednesday, becoming the first female to be executed by US federal authorities in nearly seven decades.
Couldn't she just...you know...adopt a baby?

gamer16

Honorary Master
This crime occurred in 2004? What took so long?

Her defenders believe that she suffered from severe mental health issues stemming from abuse she suffered as a child. She did not understand the meaning of her sentence, they said, a prerequisite for execution

"The record before the Court contains ample evidence that Ms Montgomery's current mental state is so divorced from reality that she cannot rationally understand the government's rationale for her execution," the ruling stated

Under the guise of buying a puppy, Montgomery went to Stinnett's home, where she strangled her and cut the baby from her body.

In 2007 she was convicted of kidnapping resulting in death and handed a death sentence.

NEE VOK

And there are people defending her? Because she isn't 10/4? And this excuses her action? No, I agree with the penalty.

Cray

Honorary Master
Am not in favour of the death penalty generally but this one made me question that, horrific. :mad:

Last edited:

R13...

Honorary Master
This crime occurred in 2004? What took so long?
That's nothing. The longest I think is 40 years.
They have long appeal processes. That's why it is so expensive to executive a person. Keep them in special prison areas, etc. The mandatory appeals.

konfab

Honorary Master
Am not in favour of the death penalty generall but this one made me question that, horrific. :mad:
The people who get the death penalty usually deserve it. Which is why arguing against the death penalty is always difficult.

The arguments I always make with this: is this woman being killed by the state going to bring more justice to her, her family and society than a life imprisonment with no bail?

Binary Bark

Forging
Apparently she cut open the victims/woman's womb and took out the unborn baby, who luckily survived.

Sounds like she's crazy.....
Wait, did she see it on one of the procedural cop shows and thought "that's a good idea"

Cray

Honorary Master
The people who get the death penalty usually deserve it. Which is why arguing against the death penalty is always difficult.

The arguments I always make with this: is this woman being killed by the state going to bring more justice to her, her family and society than a life imprisonment with no bail?
Yup agree, not to mention that some would view life imprisonment as a greater punishment.

konfab

Honorary Master
Yup agree, not to mention that some would view life imprisonment as a greater punishment.
Well that is my opinion, but the point of the justice system isn't to punish people.

ponder

Honorary Master
I wonder who was paying her lawyer.

"You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you."

Kelley Henry, Supervisory Asst. Federal Public Defender at Federal Public Defender, Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Kelley Henry, Supervisory Asst. Federal Public Defender at Federal Public Defender, Nashville, Tennessee, United States
So the taxpayers had to pay for this person who did this horrible crime.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
is this woman being killed by the state going to bring more justice to her, her family and society than a life imprisonment with no bail?
She's dead so no, her family might well be wishing for the death penalty, in which case yes: the death penalty gives them more closure than life imprisonment.

Society? Well as a member of society I prefer not to pay for the upkeep of such filth so they can live out their days in prison or even worse like in South Africa ... only to see them escape / bribe / get pardoned on Madiba's birthday and walk free.

Cray

Honorary Master
So the taxpayers had to pay for this person who did this horrible crime.
Yup, that's why life imprisonment is usually cheaper than putting someone to death. Fair legal representation is a must if you want to execute people, even then, mistakes do happen.