[US] Colorado market shooting: Gunman kills 10 at Boulder grocery store

Temujin

Honorary Master
You won't have people walking around with guns
Yeah, thats been working out well... majority of mass shootings are in gun free zones... its almost as if the shooters know people aren't walking around with guns to to defend themselves. The few that try in areas where people carry get taken out :whistling:

SNLV30

Could this have anything to do with the bombing of Syria the other day? This guy being a Syrian and all that.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Theft is illegal.

Is that reducing the rate at which people take things away from the people who own them in any significant way?
My my sucky it's almost as if you're agreeing that making certain guns illegal will not change it in any significant way?

Kieppie

Expert Member
thumb_this-is-a-ruger-10-22-this-is-a-ruger-10-22-47034602.png

greg0205

Honorary Master
I guess assault rifle isn't applicable because it has military connotations. An AR-15 isn't a military weapon - it just looks like one.
One of these is a military issue Colt M16, the other is a civilian Colt AR-15. Which is which, Voice?

1.jpg
2.jpg

greg0205

Honorary Master
The black one?
LOL.

For all the folk that are wailing the AR-15 isn't an assault rifle, here's the difference between a semi-auto AR-15 and a full auto M16.

ar15m16008.jpg

The receiver.

That's it.

That's what makes an AR-15 an M16.

That additional machined slot is the difference between tap tap and brrrrrrrt.

Kieppie

Expert Member
The feckless politicians exploiting events to drive their agenda.

"“While we’re still waiting for more information” about the suspected Boulder gunman, Biden said, “I don’t need to wait another minute, let alone an hour, to take common-sense steps that will save lives in the future, and to urge my colleagues in the House and Senate to act.”

“We can ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines in this country once again,” he said. “I got that done when I was a senator. It passed. It was the law for the longest time. And it brought down these mass killings. We should do it again.”

Oh... wait..

"A 2004 study for the Justice Department found that the ban’s impact on gun violence was mixed, at best, because of exemptions written into the law; if the ban were renewed, the “effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement.” The report said that assault weapons were “rarely used” in gun crimes but suggested that if the law remained in place, it might have a bigger impact."

Where Biden's Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 did make a bigger difference is with his war on drugs and the incarceration of young Black men.

But you know mass shootings like the one in Chicago are overlooked. Maybe the weapon used was not the right type to count?

Kieppie

Expert Member
LOL.

For all the folk that are wailing the AR-15 isn't an assault rifle, here's the difference between a semi-auto AR-15 and a full auto M16.

ar15m16008.jpg

The receiver.

That's it.

That's what makes an AR-15 an M16.

That additional machined slot is the difference between tap tap and brrrrrrrt.
Welcome to the discussion Greg. A tad quiet at the local hangout?

Also you're incorrect. You can't just machine the receiver and then have "brrrrrrrt" as you put it. There are actual mechanisms that need to fill those spaces.

You do touch on something that hasn't been addressed here and that is custom modifications and "Ghost weapons". People can make their own rifles heck you can now 3d print guns.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Race of shooter > 10 dead people
Welcome to American politics I guess?
A ban on news coverage focusing on the race or religion of the victims and shooter would do more good than all these proposed gun laws.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Welcome to the discussion Greg. A tad quiet at the local hangout?

Also you're incorrect. You can't just machine the receiver and then have "brrrrrrrt" as you put it. There are actual mechanisms that need to fill those spaces.

You do touch on something that hasn't been addressed here and that is custom modifications and "Ghost weapons". People can make their own rifles heck you can now 3d print guns.
Nah. Busy and no time to play... Also try to avoid these threads 'cos they turn into s**tfests real fast

My issue here, as it always is in shooting threads, is background checks, proficiency, a national database of firearms, and dark-money special interest groups pushing a bulls**t 'they're coming for your guns' agenda....

You know, the US right now.

The point of my post was that the rifles are 99% the same goddamn thing, made in the same factory... Every M16 is an AR-15, but not every AR-15 is an M16, if you get where I'm going with that.

They're speciality weapons and should be treated as such when it comes to buying them, keeping them and shooting them.

The Voice

Honorary Master
One of these is a military issue Colt M16, the other is a civilian Colt AR-15. Which is which, Voice?

View attachment 1041415
View attachment 1041417
Military will be the one with the variable firing rate, as already discussed a few dozen posts earlier. It will also be the one with the higher calibre.

You could've gone one further and posted an image of an AR-15 airsoft rifle, because there's no real visual difference from a distance, either.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Military will be the one with the variable firing rate, as already discussed a few dozen posts earlier. It will also be the one with the higher calibre.

You could've gone one further and posted an image of an AR-15 airsoft rifle, because there's no real visual difference from a distance, either.
See my post #434.

Also from my post #439

The point of my post was that the rifles are 99% the same goddamn thing, made in the same factory... Every M16 is an AR-15, but not every AR-15 is an M16, if you get where I'm going with that.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Nah. Busy and no time to play... Also try to avoid these threads 'cos they turn into s**tfests real fast
Hehe almost like the other place some times? :p

My issue here, as it always is in shooting threads, is background checks, proficiency, a national database of firearms, and dark-money special interest groups pushing a bulls**t 'they're coming for your guns' agenda....

You know, the US right now.
I agree background checks are important and it is part of the purchase. However you have people disingenuously refer to something as a loophole being exploited where it is just a case of the government not finding the proper info in time. If it was a loophole it means someone could actively exploit it, however in this case you don't know ahead of time if you'll be flagged or not. So sure update the law but don't spin it a certain way.

I'd say proficiency is an important aspect for police that regularly handle fire arms. I wouldn't recommend having a very proficient shooter...
If everyone was proficient and armed then a shooter would probably think twice?

Sure they push that narrative and in some cases it's not far off. Remember Beto on the campaign trail? It's similar to people pushing the "Their coming for Roe!" agenda I'd say.

They're speciality weapons and should be treated as such when it comes to buying them, keeping them and shooting them.
Yes and it makes sense from a design stand point. Reusability of parts or molds are very important in engineering/manufacturing.
The important thing here is that despite being so similar the one is still just a normal semi automatic (unless you do illegal milling to the receiver, replace the bolt and use a completely different lower parts kit).
You could perhaps have different licensing structures almost like we have with our vehicle classes. Not sure if that will fly there though.

scudsucker

Executive Member
My my sucky it's almost as if you're agreeing that making certain guns illegal will not change it in any significant way?
In as much as "I agree" that cutting the hands of everyone will help prevent petty theft, so no. Nice try though.

* Also, if you going to use phraseology with which you are unfamiliar, the resource "google.com" will help with placement of commas. You are welcome.

Last edited:

greg0205

Honorary Master
Hehe almost like the other place some times? :p

I agree background checks are important and it is part of the purchase. However you have people disingenuously refer to something as a loophole being exploited where it is just a case of the government not finding the proper info in time. If it was a loophole it means someone could actively exploit it, however in this case you don't know ahead of time if you'll be flagged or not. So sure update the law but don't spin it a certain way.

I'd say proficiency is an important aspect for police that regularly handle fire arms. I wouldn't recommend having a very proficient shooter...
If everyone was proficient and armed then a shooter would probably think twice?

Sure they push that narrative and in some cases it's not far off. Remember Beto on the campaign trail? It's similar to people pushing the "Their coming for Roe!" agenda I'd say.

Yes and it makes sense from a design stand point. Reusability of parts or molds are very important in engineering/manufacturing.
The important thing here is that despite being so similar the one is still just a normal semi automatic (unless you do illegal milling to the receiver, replace the bolt and use a completely different lower parts kit).
You could perhaps have different licensing structures almost like we have with our vehicle classes. Not sure if that will fly there though.
LOL... The point of the 'other place' is that most of us wanted the quiet. We wanted boring.

I haven't doom-scrolled twitter for nearly a month now and it's glorious.

Anyway, background checks should be federal law. Simple as that. You shouldn't be able to decide to shoot up a school and buy a gun on the way there.

Make the checks mandatory. Too bad if you have folks have to wait a bit.

What we have in the US now is insanity and the only message Congress sends by not changing the law is that that they literally *want* mass shootings... That the mass shooting are the whole point.