US companies are offering big bonuses to attract truck drivers from South Africa

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Please take or taxi drivers rather......... thinks for a moment about the assistance during looting, remembers all the k@k and carnage they cause on the roads......... Yip take them.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Please take or taxi drivers rather......... thinks for a moment about the assistance during looting, remembers all the k@k and carnage they cause on the roads......... Yip take them.

I would actually pay good money to see an American road user dealing with a taxi driver behind the wheel of one of their long haul trucks... would be fsck off funny.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so suddenly India/Rest of the world stop producing Truck drivers? they need to beg the 3rd world for drivers?
where did all those from Arkansas go to? die in Afghanistan , so suddenly they need drivers?
why the shortage?

anyway with automation/self driving/remote driving on the horizon, another industry that will vanish.

Slingshot

Expert Member
Same here in Ireland, so if you're a truck driver you stand a good chance of getting work and permission to stay here. There's several South African truck drivers living and working in our area.

PaulMurkin

This seems to remind me of the "Pack fish in Alaska" scam from around 20 odd years ago that a lot of stupid people fell for

GrootVoet

Train all the recent refugee Afghans as truck drivers, problem solved.

• Love
Reactions: "D"

grok

Honorary Master
This seems to remind me of the "Pack fish in Alaska" scam from around 20 odd years ago that a lot of stupid people fell for
Except this is not a scam, friend of mine is driving 18 wheelers up in Kansas making a killing

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Hmmmm may need to take up truck driving at this rate...
Also wouldn't mind, but with no experience, it would mean taking a pay cut and then putting up with first world cost of living.

I suppose it's at least a foot in the door...

rvZA

Executive Member
From one falling third-world country to another falling third-world country, no thanks. At least try to upgrade from a falling third-world country to a growing third-world country....

MikeaMatrix

Personally know someone that went to the US to work as a maintenance manager in a Plant, the deal he got to work as a long distance truck driver at a different company was so much better he signed up to be a truck driver instead. Pay apparently is just way better.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
so suddenly India/Rest of the world stop producing Truck drivers? they need to beg the 3rd world for drivers?
where did all those from Arkansas go to? die in Afghanistan , so suddenly they need drivers?
why the shortage?

anyway with automation/self driving/remote driving on the horizon, another industry that will vanish.
Maybe, maybe not. Who do you think is going to need to work on the truck if it breaks down? Or charge it overnight? Or fix a tyre?