US defends itself after humiliating Thailand at Women's World Cup

ponder

Honorary Master
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/11/football/uswnt-womens-world-cup-thailand-record-spt-intl/index.html

US defends itself after humiliating Thailand at Women's World Cup
Reims, France (CNN)The USWNT defended itself against criticism that it humiliated Thailand in its record 13-0 Women's World Cup victory in France on Tuesday.

Thailand's players were in tears at the full-time whistle after suffering the heaviest defeat in World Cup history at the hands of the US.

There were those on social media who criticized the defending champions for celebrating each goal, but Alex Morgan -- who became only the second American to score five in a World Cupmatch -- told reporters that "every goal counts."

Morgan, who comforted Thailand player Miranda Nild after the match, said it was important for the team to "continue to go" and score as many as they could in case goal difference would ever prove to be a factor in the group stages.

"We knew that every goal could matter in this group stage game and when it comes to celebrations this was a really good team performance and I think it was important for us to celebrate together," said the striker.

Cray

Honorary Master
Minnows being humiliated at World Cups happens all the time, not sure what the issue is.

Celebrations don't seem over the top at all...

Nobody Important

Executive Member
There is no need to defend themselves. This is what competition is about, especially at this stage.

US coach Jill Ellis said:
"I think to be respectful to opponents is to play hard against opponents," she told reporters.
"As a coach, I don't find it my job to harness my players and rein them in because this is what they've dreamed about. This is it for them, this is a world championship."