US defends itself after humiliating Thailand at Women's World Cup

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Defence reminds me of one time my ex team was spanked all over the park. Final score: 8 - 2. I was playing LB:X3:

garp

Executive Member
Look, I get why people's backs are up over this. There is an old school unspoken ethic of good sportsmanship which is entirely voluntary on the part of a winning team to not embarrass your opponent unnecessarily. But, equally, one of the unspoken rules is that you also shouldn't whine about the other side's bad sportsmanship when you lose badly. So to my mind, the US was perfectly in their rights to push their lead, although they could have shown a modicum of gracious restraint, it is by no means required. And the loser's complaints about the other side's bad sportsmanship is itself bad sportsmanship (or sport-person-ship or whatever you'd call it today).

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Look, I get why people's backs are up over this. There is an old school unspoken ethic of good sportsmanship which is entirely voluntary on the part of a winning team to not embarrass your opponent unnecessarily. But, equally, one of the unspoken rules is that you also shouldn't whine about the other side's bad sportsmanship when you lose badly. So to my mind, the US was perfectly in their rights to push their lead, although they could have shown a modicum of gracious restraint, it is by no means required. And the loser's complaints about the other side's bad sportsmanship is itself bad sportsmanship (or sport-person-ship or whatever you'd call it today).
No idea what you could've expected the US to do? Pass the ball around aimlessly in their half of the field?

I watched the highlights this morning. One or two players could've perhaps showed some restraint after the 7th/8th goal went in and purely because at that point it was apparent that the game was extremely lopsided and had devolved in to a training session for the Americans. Alex Morgan was pretty reserved by the time she scored her 4th and the US' 9th. Looked like things were a formality at that point for her.

Last edited:

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
From what I gathered, the losers did not complain at all. SJWs did, if any.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
And on the flipside, I am taught, as a good sportsman, to always do my best.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Sorry but its the world cup... everyone who has their back up over this score is a raging retard... plain and simple.

The US never showed a single ounce of bad sportsmanship. They beat their opponents and then hugged and interacted with their opponents at the end of the match. Thailand btw aren't complaining about this, its random retards on the interwebs.

rietrot

Honorary Master
? What do you want then to do, stop scoring goals, play with only the goalie, cede the game to their opponent?
Stop the game. They do this in school rugby if one team like lead by too many points, but I geuss it is more humiliating to have the game stopped for being too shît.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Stop the game. They do this in school rugby if one team like lead by too many points, but I geuss it is more humiliating to have the game stopped for being too shît.
School rugby is not the world cup though...

Wildly different levels of competition.

ponder

Honorary Master
They're not children. Spectators paid for their tickets and sponsors/advertisers for the exposure and airtime.

Pox

Expert Member
So wait. Thailand aren't unhappy that they got so badly beaten, but some random fscktards on the Interwebs are upset and now the US has to defend itself?

I don't want to live on this fscking planet anymore....
You've just discovered what a SJW is.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You've just discovered what a SJW is.
Oh I've known what an SJW is for a long time...

But they're evolving and its depressing...

SJWs never used to care about sports too much because it wasn't hipster enough for them.

Pox

Expert Member
Oh I've known what an SJW is for a long time...

But they're evolving and its depressing...

SJWs never used to care about sports too much because it wasn't hipster enough for them.
I think it's amusing, that this gets cried about but not when men's teams routinely do the same.
But of course, just like a black person in SA can't be racists, a SJW can be hypocritical.

:shrug

thechamp

Honorary Master
I think it's amusing, that this gets cried about but not when men's teams routinely do the same.
But of course, just like a black person in SA can't be racists, a SJW can be hypocritical.

:shrug
Tottenham once complained about a disrespectful Orlando Pirates when Steve Lekoelea and Sailor Tshabalala ran rings around them.